Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Flame wars, trolls , evil posts, are you sure??

Having just had a thread and several post sent to Mickey's Dumpster aka the litter box . I felt you may enjoy this, Feel free to comment

02:00 AM Feb, 13, 2006 EST
    "Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.
    According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.
    "That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.
    The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.
    Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.
    "People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.
    At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.
    The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective.
    "E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn.
    People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Flame wars, trolls , evil posts, are you sure??

Even with the smilies, you can't always be 100% sure of the actual intend. We don't realize as humans how much we put into body language, tone of voice and other visual and auditory clues for communication.

A very timely posting.......

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Well, it's like 80% of communication is through tone of voice and body language, what's flame anyway?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Dog
    Having just had a thread and several post sent to Mickey's Dumpster aka the litter box . I felt you may enjoy this, Feel free to comment

02:00 AM Feb, 13, 2006 EST
    "Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.
    According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.
    "That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.
    The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.
    Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.
    "People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.
    At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.
    The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective.
    "E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn.
    People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.
    What did you mean by that?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    ... what's flame anyway?
    Lets see if I can explain it... flame is when you try to online "burn" someone, by posting negative or bad comments. I think the term has its roots in when people would get bad service, or would by something online that wasn't right and there were places they could go and write up bad reviews on companys and such and those became known as flames or flaming someone or something.

I think.. if anyone else has a better explanation feel free to enlighten Splash.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

OH, ok, no, that explanation is good enough Pengie, thank you.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I think some of the problem comes with the average adults' ability to express themselves in writing. Writing has become a lot art form. When you have people who don't take the time to make sure their posts are spelled correctly, you can be fairly sure they aren't taking the time to make sure their thoughts are being translated correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I think some of the problem comes with the average adults' ability to express themselves in writing. Writing has become a lot art form. When you have people who don't take the time to make sure their posts are spelled correctly, you can be fairly sure they aren't taking the time to make sure their thoughts are being translated correctly.
    Very true. All it takes is a little extra effort to make sure that your post is understandable. When I know that I am going to write a long post about a serious topic, I will usually do it in Word. That way, there is less of a chance that I am going to make any glaring errors. I will usually leave it for a little bit, do something else, then go back and re-read it, to see if I am really saying what I want to say. Many times, I will delete what I've written and start fresh or give up if I don't think the point is as worthwhile as I originally did.

I do the same thing with business emails, blog entries, etc. I'm a firm believer that good communication skills are very important, especially when writing. Of course, we all make errors and occasionally mis-speak. Still, I think the extra effort is worth it, especially when the alternative can be misunderstandings, flame wars, hurt feelings, etc. The bottom line is that when people read what I write, I want them to understand what I am saying. Sometimes, it seems it is a dying art.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I hate you all.

Please Interpret the tone
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I think it also helps to have a visual aide. It helps you get the point across, but in a nicer way. Adding a smiley can help in that regard.

For example:

You suck.

A good smiley face in the right spot can help you tell someone that they suck but without the flames.

Of course, we're not allowed to tell people they suck in here, so it would have to be modified thusly:

Your post sucks.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Sometimes I wish there was a smily flipping the bird. I could have used that so many times in the Litter Box!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

Free Smileys.
    Download smileys & Images Today. Easy To Use And Absolutely Free!
    www.HotBar.com
    Smiley Central Free
    Download Free Smileys Smiley Central Smileys For Free
    TheSmileyCentral.com
    Animated emoticons
    Find animated emoticons at Dogpile.com
    www.dogpile.com
    Free Animated Icons
    The Greatest Icons & Smileys for Emails, IMs & More - Download Now!
    www.smileycentral.com
    Free Smileys
    Tons of fun, animated emoticons. Free download.
    www.gotsmiley.com

Animated Smiley Face
    From Happy To Sad To Cool, Choose A Smiley For Any Expression. Free!
    EzGreets.aavalue.com
    Discount Sale
    New and used Animated Smiley Faces Check out the deals now!
    www.eBay.com

Maybe you can find that smile

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser
    Very true. All it takes is a little extra effort to make sure that your post is understandable. When I know that I am going to write a long post about a serious topic, I will usually do it in Word. That way, there is less of a chance that I am going to make any glaring errors. I will usually leave it for a little bit, do something else, then go back and re-read it, to see if I am really saying what I want to say. Many times, I will delete what I've written and start fresh or give up if I don't think the point is as worthwhile as I originally did.
    Exactly!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I think it also helps to have a visual aide. It helps you get the point across, but in a nicer way. Adding a smiley can help in that regard.

For example:

You suck.

A good smiley face in the right spot can help you tell someone that they suck but without the flames.

Of course, we're not allowed to tell people they suck in here, so it would have to be modified thusly:

Your post sucks.
    How about:

I love you!

hehe
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    We must remember that there are some folks facing physical challenges, which make it more difficult to use the keyboard - and, as stated in another thread, tolerance is maybe as important, if not moreso, than criticism.

Having said that, it's hard to interpret someone's written thoughts when sometimes very little pronunciation is used - to say nothing of the lack of spelling or grammar.

Don't forget, it's harder for people to take time to check these things when they are going for 8,000 posts per day.

And we now live in a trash-talking, in-your-face, look-at-me society, and there's no getting that genie back in the bottle.

Thank you,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast