• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Pet Lizard at school - what do I get for it?

While dropping the kids off at day care today, I discovered that the school age kids have a class pet - a blue-bellied lizard. ICK!

The thing is sitting on dirt inside the lid of a paper box. I offered to buy a cage so the thing is enclosed. I can't imagine going there if the thing is on the ground. If I see even the tiniest lizard anywhere in my path I scream.

Does anyone here have lizards as pets? What should I get for it in terms of a cage/aquarium/habitat? Does it need anything else?

I figure that at least getting it a cage would be a good thing. Then, the kids can try to put together some of their own money to buy accessories for the little guy.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Banned User

Re: Pet Lizard at school - what do I get for it?

ok, Get a small tank for him with a mesh top, he will need some green indoor out door carpeting to keep the bottom clean ( just rinse off once in a while.
    A some kind of warmer is a needed item if it gets cold where you are, but other then that some branches and a nice rock to sit on. Bugs to eat ( they eat crickets, and or the kids can go out side and catch some to . They are easy and fun, my son had many
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 03-08-2006 at 02:11 PM.

• Banned User

Use a 60 watt bulb at minimum

Make sure they have a dry rock and some dry sedimates and it needs to stay at the least 70 degrees (F) for them to be active.
    Diet:Carnivorous

Description of Diet:

Mostley ants and beatles

• /sigh

I had a bearded dragon once (Charlie).....he ate crickets (live and freeze dried), lettuce, some fruit, and mealworms (his fave). But, I think for a blue-bellied, them may eat more insects...like ants I think?

If you do get a cage (or glass tank), make sure there's a rock for him to lounge and a heat lamp on top of the screen. (heating rocks tend to get too hot, so don't use those)
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• My cuties!

Ick!! I can't believe it wasn't in a cage!

• Clearing my Calendar

Make sure the class has an antibacterial gel or soap (with good washing techniques for the little ones) that they use before and after any contact with the lizard or its habitat.

Everything else sounds like the type of stuff I'd recommend!

Oh, and try to minimize the amount of self caught insects. They tend to have insecticide in their systems.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Give Peace a Chance

We've had several lizards over the years. We always kept them in an old aquarium with a screen cover. They love crickets. Pet stores used to sell them 20 for $1.00 around here (not sure what they cost now) and worms, those came in a container. I agree; stay away from catching your own bugs, its not safe for the lizard or the children. A rock that heats up is nice but not always required, if it is a tropical lizard then it is necessary. Branches for them to crawl on. The less you handle them the better.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Sad news to report this morning, the lizard died over night.

The kids are all pretty sad. They are starting a fund to buy a new class pet, but my husband and I are going to offer to buy them a gecko. It seems like such a great lesson for the kids that we don't mind doing it. I am going to get a couple of books, one on how to care for geckos and maybe a reptile encyclopedia so they can research other types of reptile, as well as geckos.

Of course, I left work early yesterday to get supplies & a prpper habitat for the lizard. There is an aquarium with a mesh lid, a clamp light with a 75 watt bulb, sand for the bottom of the cage and a log to hide under.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Playtester

Insted of a gecko, try maybe a small iguana. We had a small iggy and we hand fed it and trained it to sit on our shoulders and ride around all day. It eats veggies and fruit (we chopped batches at a time and kept in the fridge). Just becareful of what kind of iguana, as we had one that got to be around 6 ft long. It was given free roam of the house along with the cats, and I doubt that would be a very good class pet.

Whatever happend to class rabbits, mice and hamsters?
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney