• I'm your huckleberry.

Freezing temps and fruit trees... advice please!

We have several fruit trees in our back yard, one gala apple, one fuji apple, two plums and two apricot trees. All of them have beautiful blossoms on them right now. I'm really worried about how the storm this weekend will affect the trees.

I don't want to go to the hassle of covering all of them to keep the blossoms from freezing, but I would hate to loose all our fruit crop this summer.

Do any of you have any suggestions for me on helping my trees through the freezing storm this weekend??????

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• no flash photography...

Re: Freezing temps and fruit trees... advice please!

I just posted pictures of my peach tree blossums covered in snow...the nectarine tree is the same. Thankfully the apricot and cherry trees have not bloomed yet....I don't think the peaches and nectarine were finished blooming, but I pretty much wrote the peaches and nectarines off this year......hopefully we will get some...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I'd cover them. Thats what I do with the dwarf lemon at my moms when I know temps are gonna be in the 30's, which is rare.

Something Ive also seen done, which sounds counter productive but apparently it works, is to hose down the tree and get it all nice and wet so that the water freezes over it which in actuality, the ice insulates the tree. Sounds crazy but I have seen this before and it works.

Personally however, I'd just drape a sheet over them if you can. Or light a smudge pot in your backyard Smores anyone?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    I'd cover them. Thats what I do with the dwarf lemon at my moms when I know temps are gonna be in the 30's, which is rare.

Something Ive also seen done, which sounds counter productive but apparently it works, is to hose down the tree and get it all nice and wet so that the water freezes over it which in actuality, the ice insulates the tree. Sounds crazy but I have seen this before and it works.

Personally however, I'd just drape a sheet over them if you can. Or light a smudge pot in your backyard Smores anyone?
    Yeah, I've heard about hosing the tree down. I've also heard that if your blossoms freeze, that if you water them before the sun is up, it can save them. Something about the sun and the ice burning the flowers.

I know I should probably cover them, but that just sounds like I pain in the ***, you know? I guess I just need to decide if I want to work a little and have some fruit, or forget about it and kiss the preserves goodbye this year.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

I had always heard about watering your grass before a freeze will insulate it and keep it from dying...don't know if it works for trees or not.

We have an apple tree in our yard...I have no idea what kind. The fruit was really wormy this past October when we bought the house...if anyone knows how to help it along to produce good fruit, I'd love to have some tips.
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

It's probably too late now, but calling your local agricultural extension would have been a good idea. Many commercial orchards and vineyards also use big fans. Moving air--as cold as it feels--is actually warmer than calm air.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    It's probably too late now, but calling your local agricultural extension would have been a good idea.
    Blast! That would have been a great idea! UC Riverside has a great Extension program and master gardeners who can take calls like that. I'll have to remember that next time.

I'm not going to worry about watering the trees, the rain is doing that for me. I couldn't find my tarps, so I'm not covering them. I guess I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed!

• Banned User

If it's raining you should be fine. We go through this every winter in FL with atleast a few hard freezes and the strawberries are always okay.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    It's probably too late now, but calling your local agricultural extension would have been a good idea. Many commercial orchards and vineyards also use big fans. Moving air--as cold as it feels--is actually warmer than calm air.
    That's why in the Ventura/Santa Barbara area, for example, it's always at least a few degrees warmer right on the coast than it is few miles inland in the "wind-protected" valley areas...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.