Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty Time

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Jury Duty Time

Well gang, my number is up - literally. I've got jury duty starting (and hopefully ending) tomorrow, at the the Hall Of Justice at the Ventura County Government Center in Ventura.

Part of me hopes that I have what I've had before...an uneventful day, hunkered down in a chair with a sports page and a book or two. The food in the cafetera there isn't half bad. No churros or dole whips though...

The website says they have computer hookups available...this is one time I wish I had a laptop to keep my MiceChat sanity.

Hold me in your thoughts. Any interesting experiences to share? Wonder if I'll wind up deciding whether Ventura County's latest(alleged) murderer gets death or not...hmmm...does it really happen like on sitcoms, where one person holds up the other eleven, and it turns out they were right???

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Jury Duty Time

I WISH I would get jury duty!

I've been a registered voter since 18- I got one jury duty notice but had moved out of the county, so I was not eligible. Then I got another one but had moved out of state- so no go again.

I have been back in CO for over 10 years, been registered to vote- but have not gotten a notice...not one.

I wish I had one- because I have never gotten the chance.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    ...an uneventful day, hunkered down in a chair with a sports page and a book or two.
    Just went through this last January (minus the sports page). Got called to a courtroom and then spent the entire day waiting just so the judge could release us.

I'm now done for another year.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys

I've been a registered voter since 18- I got one jury duty notice but had moved out of the county, so I was not eligible. Then I got another one but had moved out of state- so no go again.

I have been back in CO for over 10 years, been registered to vote- but have not gotten a notice...not one.

I wish I had one- because I have never gotten the chance.
    Too bad for the people of Colorado...because knowing what I can tell about you so far, political differences aside, I think you'd make the kind of smart, informed juror that the system needs.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Too bad for the people of Colorado...because knowing what I can tell about you so far, political differences aside, I think you'd make the kind of smart, informed juror that the system needs.

Barry
    Thanks RB- that's kind of you to say. I can pretty much guarantee that I would be disqualified- my dad is an attorney, they usually don't want people to be TOO involved in the knowledge of the system.

Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong- they should have called me by now.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I HATE jury duty!!! the very first time i got it, i actually had to sit and wait for a whole week. The times after that, i've been on call, and when i called in the night before, they didnt need me.
    Make sure you take a book

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Thanks RB- that's kind of you to say. I can pretty much guarantee that I would be disqualified- my dad is an attorney, they usually don't want people to be TOO involved in the knowledge of the system.

Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong- they should have called me by now.
    Nephy - perhaps this is a whole other thread - people in the system have told me that there's a major problem in jury selection these days - because of people that are usually available to serve - it's hard to find a jury of 12 qualified peers quite often.

Slightly derailing my own thread -

Barry

• Original Mice-Chatter

Nephy - perhaps this is a whole other thread - people in the system have told me that there's a major problem in jury selection these days - because of people that are usually available to serve - it's hard to find a jury of 12 qualified peers quite often.

Slightly derailing my own thread -

Barry
    I wonder- since I have never been called I can't say for sure I would be disqualified. Maybe when I have a spare moment I should contact the county and find out why I never get a notice.

I have another reason for it- it's time off work, paid time- they give a certain # of days that don't draw from our vacation time- so I have selfish reasons too.

• Clearing my Calendar

It would seem you don't need to be registered to vote to get the call. I'm not and I was called once when I lived in Florida, but because I had moved counties, I wasn't able to attend.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I pray to god that I will never get jury duty...

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Here in California they draw from voter registration and drivers licenses. I used to get called twice a year because my license was my full name and my voter stuff was my first name middle initial. It's really not that bad now that it's one day unless you are selected. Just take a book or something to do. Before 9/11, I taught myself counted cross stich when I was on one rotation.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    It would seem you don't need to be registered to vote to get the call. I'm not and I was called once when I lived in Florida, but because I had moved counties, I wasn't able to attend.
    In CO it is based on pulling from registered voters. Or it used to be....I think I just fell through the cracks. Watch, if I call and ask, I'll get three notices!

• Clearing my Calendar

You're silly.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I get them at least every two years like clockwork. The last time I actually had to go I had to sit there all day, waiting and waiting until the last minute they settled out of court or something and we all got to go home. Thank goodness the last time I wasn't needed. If I wasn't working two jobs right now I wouldn't mind doing it once in a while but its a pain since I lose money because I don't get paid at either job. My next stint will be sometime in May. I got one earlier in the year but requested an extension so May they will be sending me another one. Take a couple of books... magazines... crocheting... anything to pass time.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

You can volunteer for jury duty. I actually did that once because I had a summons for a week that I planned to be on vacation. Not wanting to ask for a postponement, I asked the commissioner's office if I could report early. (I was already on summer break.) The answer: Bring your summons in on a midweek day, and we'll add you to the pool for that day. That I did, and the pool was released within the hour, and I had served my jury duty for the next year.

Nephythys, call your jury commissioner and ask if you can volunteer for jury duty.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast