Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: The "Official" 2006 March Madness NCAA Tournament Thread

Final tally after round 1: I got 22 out of 32 which is 69% if you round up. I got killed by Syracuse, Kansas, Michigan State and Nevada, just to name a few...

Big shockers for me so far: Syacuse and Kansas are gone, and Tennessee, Boston College, Uconn, and North Carolina all came within INCHES of not moving on.

Should be an interesting weekend!

MARCH MADNESS, BABY!!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: The "Official" 2006 March Madness NCAA Tournament Thread

I must say that the first round this year has probably been the most competitive (top to bottom) in recet memory-If not ever. All 1 seeds got the living daylights scared out of them until pulling away late. Iowa, Syracuse, and Kansas all won their conference tourney's and end up one and done. Boston College has to go to Double Overtime before putting Pacific away. Tennessee scores a decisive basket before having to sweat out what could have been the most bizarre final shot ever made (instead of lobbing the ball in, the player from Winthrop shot the ball the length of the court and missed and left time for a teamate to get the rebound and nearly making the tying score). NW State wins on an incredible shot at the buzzer to eliminate said Hawkeyes. Mike Davis and his Indiana Hoosiers live to see another day. George Washington comes from 18 down in the 2nd half to beat UNC-Wilmington in Overtime.

I feel the 2nd round can only get better folks! If your bracket hasn't been busted by now...look out. I think we may have a surprise team end up winning the whole shabang when all is said and done. That is if the trends from the First Round continue throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    `Although I have a festering hate for ESPN, I would guess that they would do a better of broadcasting March Madness then CBS.
    That's already been proven. For many years ESPN had rights to games in the first and second rounds, and for whatever reason they did a better job of the "whip-around" coverage that CBS has tried to emulate.

It's a moot point, however, because CBS has paid a bezillion dollars for exclusive rights for the next several years.

I'm sure that technology alternatives like the DirecTV package on the free ganes on the Internet (ncaa.com) will continue to proliferate, at least...

Having said that...I don't agree with the argument that you don't televise a game because "WE KNOW" somehow that neither team is going to make the Sweet 16.

How do we KNOW that in round 1? We see surprises in the second round every year.

Aside from that, the points made in previous posts are well taken.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    That's already been proven. For many years ESPN had rights to games in the first and second rounds, and for whatever reason they did a better job of the "whip-around" coverage that CBS has tried to emulate.

It's a moot point, however, because CBS has paid a bezillion dollars for exclusive rights for the next several years.

I'm sure that technology alternatives like the DirecTV package on the free ganes on the Internet (ncaa.com) will continue to proliferate, at least...

Having said that...I don't agree with the argument that you don't televise a game because "WE KNOW" somehow that neither team is going to make the Sweet 16.

How do we KNOW that in round 1? We see surprises in the second round every year.

Aside from that, the points made in previous posts are well taken.
    I concede your point. It's like "I knew" Syracuse and Kansas were going to move on. You NEVER know in the NCAA tournament. I guess I was simply griping about the mentality of showing West Coast teams on the west coast due to geographical location. Outside of the town of Berkeley, and the .00000005 percent of Golden Bear basketball fans in our state, if Albany had knocked off Uconn and made history while we were watching Cal get beat, CBS would have seen some REAL March Madness! As it was, we missed that great comeback in the last few minutes of the second half. I'm not independently weatlhy, but next year I'll need to spring for the Direct TV package. The NC State game was still a good one, and yes there was an upset, but as a network, you would think they have the main event on ALL OVER the country, not just in the North East. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if I'm right about Texas kicking the daylights out of NC State. If NC State wins the whole thing, I'm coming back here to edit out all of my posts and put a big smiley face in their place.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I agree that CBS has it wrong about always going with the geographical angle...unless it's the LA area with UCLA, Bay Area with Cal, etc...you'd have to see the validity in that. I wasn't watching last night...I'm surprised that CBS didn't at least cut away for the end of UConn-Albany.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    If NC State wins the whole thing, I'm coming back here to edit out all of my posts and put a big smiley face in their place.
    Localdisny...if NC State wins the whole thing ...you'll see Jim Valvano running across the floor all over again...with an even bigger smile this time than he had in 83!!! (Wish that could happen, actually. I miss Jimmy V.)

Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-18-2006 at 07:17 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I agree that CBS has it wrong about always going with the geographical angle...unless it's the LA area with UCLA, Bay Area with Cal, etc...you'd have to see the validity in that. I wasn't watching last night...I'm surprised that CBS didn't at least cut away for the end of UConn-Albany.
    Localdisny...if NC State wins the whole thing ...you'll see JimValvano running across the floor all over again...with an even bigger smile this time than he had in 83!!! (Wish that could happen, actually. I miss Jimmy V.)

Barry
    After the upset win with NC State, they DID cut away, but by then it was a done deal...I think Uconn was up by 11 or so with a minute to play. The maddening thing (is this why they call it "March Madness"?) was you had to follow the tiny score at the top of the screen throughout the second half and watch Uconn go from TWELVE down, to 7, to 5, tie score, up by two....and so forth. You knew something amazing was happening, but you couldn't SEE it! I'm just hoping they get enough feedback to know that we aren't EXPECTING to see every game during the first round. But the potential history making upsets would be good to cut away to.

ORRRRR...I just thought of this....what's wrong with a split screen? Show the Uconn game up in the corner.

I guess Directv wouldn't make as much money at that point, so nevermind.

• Colorful

I know and realize that CBS has paid gazillions of dollars for the rights to this tournament. However their announcers just pissed off the NCAA last week on live TV. NCAA might just tell CBS to stuff it really soon.

ABC/ESPN would do a much better job. You can see that already with ESPN's coverage of the Women's tournament. Yes the games are shown on a regional basis, not unlike CBS, but once that game becomes a laugher-or another game is going down to the wire, ESPN will cut away to show the entire nation the last few minutes. Not only that but ESPN also cuts away more often to udate the rest of the country about the other games that are ongoing.

CBS should have done a split screen with the NC State/Cal game to show the UCONN/Albany game. I guess they figured that they didn't want to cut away because the Cal/NC State game was going down to the wire itself (and it did).

Also I am not sure how long DirecTV will sell the package. People can now watch the games for free on the Net, can listen to them on Sirius, and many cable companies are showing the package at no cost to subscribers. Not to mention that CBS affiliates are showing the other games on their HD subcarriers for free as well. With all those options it does not make sense for DirectTV to sell a package that many people can see at no cost.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Well, my Atlanta side is pretty much toast, but I'm doing OK elsewhere. We'll see how it shakes out on Monday!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I did better today, but I still lost Washington and Witchita.

Stupid Witchita. What did they shoot? Like 80 percent? I was only half watching the game, but I don't think I saw them miss a shot all game!!

• Circle of Ancients

UCLA certainly dodged a bullet. I remember the last time UCLA had trouble in the round of 32 ... they went on to win the Championship.

• Colorful

Jackpot with Wichita State. They were the one Cinderella team I predicted to go to "Sweet I6" I didn't pick any other "mid-major" to make it (Gonzaga doesn't count anymore).

After today I am still on the top of the heap. don't know how long it will last but I don't usually last this long in a pool. So who knows.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    UCLA certainly dodged a bullet. I remember the last time UCLA had trouble in the round of 32 ... they went on to win the Championship.
    Survive and advance...the mantra of the tournament. To shoot free throws as poorly as they did and still win...they did indeed dodge a bullet. But with the defense and toughness they're showing, looks to me like they're as good as any of the other teams that will advance to the Sweet 16...

This, of course, coming from a guy that's currently running what, 22nd and 23rd with his two pool entries...

Barry

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I can't take this anymore. I'm selling everything and moving to a small island near PaPau New Gunea where they don't get Directv and there is no such thing as March Madness. NC goes down to freakin GEORGE MASON, Tennessee goes down yesterday to WICHITA STATE...I came within inches of losing the entire Washington DC bracket with Uconn NEARLY getting bumped just now by Kentucky. I have Uconn taking the whole thing, and they've almost choked TWICE now. I've already lost 5 of my sweet 16 after losing Syracuse, Kansas, Illinois, North Carolina, and Tennessee.

You just never know....have I already said that?

I have torn up my bracket!!!! . I am not joining a Sweet 16 pool to try again.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Wonder how "NeverNeverland" is doing about now...you know, the person who asked what a "seed" meant earlier in the week? Probably in 1st now. I think we've been duped by a "hustler" (LOL)

Again, a blindfolded little girl playing pin the tail on the brackets has as much chance of getting this tournament right as those of us who THINK we know somethin'...

GO Bruins...I think they can beat Gonzaga...any thoughts?

Barry

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast