Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Ebay Selling Suggestions Wanted

Since I am out of work right now in disability, I am starting into the process of selling some of my excess stuff (and our excess stuff around the house) on e-bay...with the goals of sending the stuff to someone who really wants it, and making a little extra money too.

Again, I'd like to turn to my MC family for support and advice, beyond what I've already read in books and heard in a relatively info-less seminar I recenty attended.

Any advice on how to make sure my stuff sells? (It's a wide variety of stuff)

Thanks,

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• And, THEN she said...

Re: Ebay Selling Suggestions Wanted

the only thing i can think of is take good pictures..I HATE it when the seller has crappy pictures...and it makes me think the seller is trying to hide something.

and describe the item fully..and if its used say its used..I bought a horse saddle off of ebay and it wasnt used it was new with some blemishes

oh and if the item has any dings or cracks put that in the description

good luck let me know when you list so I can check it the stuff
    Last edited by Groomer; 03-22-2006 at 03:00 PM.

• white and nerdy

1. Be a good seller. Go the extra mile to make each customer happy. Good reputation goes a long way on Ebay
    2. Do research. Try and know what each item is worth and what similar items on ebay are selling for. Knocking a few dollars off the opening bid is a good way to get bids started.
    3. What groomer said about the photos and description.
    4. Be readily avalible for questions about the products you are selling. answer e-mails quickly.

really, all you need to do is imagine that your auctions is a little store you own in a huge mall. You need to attract people in in the first place, and then you need to create good word of mouth about your products and service.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• And, THEN she said...

oh and dont try and pad your payment with high shipping..try and use one of those shipping caculator thingies..if the shipping is too high I wont even open the link..

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u
    oh and dont try and pad your payment with high shipping..try and use one of those shipping caculator thingies..if the shipping is too high I wont even open the link..
    yeah. you might fool a few rubes, but most people have a brain ratteling around upstairs.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• And, THEN she said...

if the seller has a shipping caculator I'm more likely to bid if its something i want

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Good luck and let us kow how it goes. I'm especially interested cause I'm interested in trying EBay, I just haven't worked up the courage yet.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• most magical vaca ever

I've been using Ebay for about 3 years now... I started to get my positive feedback thru purchasing first and once I established some positives I then started to sell.

When it comes to selling, I would say- make sure you list your items with a lot of detailed information, good pics and only sell what you would want to purchase yourself

Lots of Luck
    ~~~~~~

• Disneyland Fanatic

Great advice so far, (especially about the pictures)here is some more (I learned it the hard way)

1- Pretty obvious, but TAKE PAYPAL (including credit card payments) and money orders. Set a deadline for your payments (7 days is good)

2-Ship ONLY to confirmed addresses and ALWAYS I repeat ALWAYS use Delivery Confirmation. There are scammers out there that wait for a package without Delivery confirmation and then file a complain with Paypal. You will be SOL if you cannot provide a DC number.

3-For high dollar items, require insurance. (it's inexpensive thru the post office) Don't say "once I ship I'm not responsible" because guess what, you are. Ebay will always side with the buyer if the gidget breaks and it was uninsured.

4- the USPS is your best friend. I use their online shipping calculators all the time. You can also get free Priority Mail shipping supplies (which is also the recomended way to ship) and FREE pickup of your items from your house. You never even have to leave your house

5- Use online postage (from paypal or USPS)

Good luck and have fun!
    Feel free to ask me any questions, I've become addicted to selling my daughters clothes and using that money to buy her a new wardrobe every season LOL

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by groomer_4_u

YES!!! $80 shipping for a laptop? With NO insurance?? PLEEEZE!!! I don't have a problem paying a little extra for "handling" charges, but there's a point it gets rediculous.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• most magical vaca ever

Oh yes!!! ALWAYS use a confirmation # and insurance

I only accept Paypal (eCheck takes a few days to clear) Make sure you state that payments made by echeck will not ship until payment is clear

Email your buyers as soon as auction has ended - good communication is key!
    ~~~~~~

• Senior Minion

The two biggies that get overlooked-

1) make sure every item is described well, so important.

2) Package really well, fill in the box space, use bubble wrap, stryrofoam peanuts, lots of newspaper, whatever it takes. (I had an item that was shipped with a little bit of confetti and the leg of a Bashful figure was destroyed.) So pack it well.

3)avoid using UPS if at all possible, FedEx is cheaper in most cases, and Postal is great of course and cheap as well.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

A lot of good advice has already been posted here, so I thought I'd include a few pieces of somewhat unconventional advice:

-Think about including a freebie or bonus "goodie" to distinguish your auction from the others. It probably should be anything of value, and don't expect it to propel your sales into the stratosphere, but it's a nice little bonus that *might* make your listing more memorable and get someone to bid.

-On a similar note, try a personal appeal. I've read you on Micechat. You have a nice, personal touch to a lot of what you say. Use it to market your item. I know that if there were two nearly identical items for sale with a similar price, I'll bid on the one where the description seems to be written in a friendlier manner.

Anyway, good luck and happy eBaying...

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    -Think about including a freebie or bonus "goodie" to distinguish your auction from the others. It probably should be anything of value, and don't expect it to propel your sales into the stratosphere, but it's a nice little bonus that *might* make your listing more memorable and get someone to bid.
    If you can I would definately do this it doesnt have to be much, but it sure makes people remember you! I bought a set of handmade Training bells or "speed beads" for my young mare, and the seller included a nice handmade mane pretty that clips in her mane, I had the choice of a ribbon or a wrap, I chose the wrap, it was so nice to get a little something extra! so now I go into her store all the time to see what else she may have!

• And, THEN she said...

just thought of something else, Dont use giant bright 30+ point type, its annoying and makes people NOT want to read it, when the idea behind it was making people want to read it, If your pictures are good and the description thorough and honest, thats all you need!

I hate having to stand across the room from my monitor to read the description! and maybe one or 2 animated gifs, just to break your page up a bit, not 10 every 5 inches! you can find really nice animated or static page divider bars on the net.

when I open a auction and see font like this BUY ME, and this is all the description consists of and a million animations I get out of there in a hurry!
    Last edited by Groomer; 03-22-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast