• Circle of Ancients

If You Could Live in One Decade and Two Years

If you could have lived in one decade, and the year preceding it and the year following it, which decade would it have been?

OR:

If you could relive one decade of your life, which would it be?

I would choose the 1960s. I would start my tour in the year 1959 and enjoy the release of Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty. I would take advantage of Disneyland in its earliest days. I would see the election and assassination of President John F. Jennedy. I would see all the drama under that presidency unfold. I would enjoy great television like The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Lucy Show, Green Acres, The Addams Family, Bewitched, and Dark Shadows. I would watch the controversey of the Vietnam War unfold. I would live in the time where music was still undefined with Rock still growing in popularity with The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, and others. Some older artists would still be putting out classics like Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams. Folk would be coming to an end with Peter, Paul, and Mary. The Academy Awards would present Oscars to some of the greatest film songs of all time. The movie theater would offer such great films as The Haunting, the most controversial of the Hammer Horror Films, and classics like Romeo and Juliet, ending in December of 1970 with House of Dark Shadows. Walt Disney would die in 1966 and Peter Jennings would take the anchor chair in 1967. The news would continue to show pessimism, while the younger generations would believe in optimisim. 1965 would be the 10th anniversary of Disneyland. In 1967, Pirates of the Caribbean would open, and 1969 would host the opening of the Haunted Mansion.

That is the ultimate decade. With great and controversial people being written into the history books and the pages of pop culture. It is the ultimate pop culture adventure and would be the decade that I would most like to visit...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: If You Could Live in One Decade and Two Years

I always wanted to live in colonial times. I don't know why. So, I guess, the 1770's? That way I could witness some of the cool stuff that happened as our nation was being born
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I think I'll vote for 1969 through 1981.

I'd buy some of the great records from The Stooges, David Bowie and such as they came out; go and see them all live in concert (especially Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era or Joy Division in the UK). In 1970, I'd pop over to Disneyland and invade it with the hippies in August I'd stay on until 1971, and say hi to the birth of WDW, Florida. In 1975, I'd pop over to California in tme for the 20th anniversary of Disneyland. In November of that same year, I'd see The Dismissal by the Governor General of our former Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam. Some of my favourite films would be released that decade, from directors such as Scorses, Coppola. I'd see Star Wars on its first run in 1977, and Empire Strikes Back in 1980 for example. I'd go and watch myself being born in 1978, which would be kind of strange actually. (I could also watch my girlfriend be born two years earlier, which is even stranger).

Actually, I can't think of a better time to be than the 1970s. Send me back!!
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I've often pondered this.

*) I'm a Civil War buff. I'd go through those times for mere curiousity. Use the time travel to be at important events as they occur.

*) I'm a big Edwardian/Gaslight times lover. Jack the Ripper, Mr. Hyde/Dr. Jeckyll and Jules Verne and HG Wells. All that stuff at the beginning of the 1900s.

Curiousier and curiouser.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    I've often pondered this.

*) I'm a Civil War buff. I'd go through those times for mere curiousity. Use the time travel to be at important events as they occur.

*) I'm a big Edwardian/Gaslight times lover. Jack the Ripper, Mr. Hyde/Dr. Jeckyll and Jules Verne and HG Wells. All that stuff at the beginning of the 1900s.

Curiousier and curiouser.

Peace,
    Roo
    Same here Roo!!! I've always felt an affinity for both those time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Give Peace a Chance

I had a great time the first time around and Ive read about the past. What I'd want to is go forward in time to 2300 starting in 2299 through 2311. The past is great, it's where we've come from. But I want to see things that are yet to be. Besides I'm looking forward to living in a liberal world where we will have clean air & water. No war or poverty, technology will be on the rise again.
    Can you imagine the advancements?
    ~ MickeysGirl ºoº
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! ºoº

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I agree, I'd like to move forward, but for me more like 3000

I wonder how disneyland would be by that time

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• See you there!

I would choose 1991-2001 (through September 10).

I was in the best health of my entire life, energy, and since I was 45, I knew a few things about life and how to enjoy myself.

CU@DL

Andy

• Married and happy again!!

I'd love to live 1859 thru 1871. I would love to have been around during the civil war and the begining of reconstruction era. If I could relive a decade of my own life it would be 1989 thru 2001 the happiest years of my life (my wife was still alive and healthy we had so much fun during that time period).
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!