Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Honey We're Killing The Kids

I SAW AN AD FOR THIS NEW SHOW AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER THOUGHT??

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/ho...anmain_leftnav

Beginning Monday, April 10 9/8c, TLC will transform the lives of 13 families across the nation in the groundbreaking new series, Honey We're Killing the Kids! In each family, the children’s eating habits have spiraled out of control into a diet of nonstop junk food – sugar, snacks, processed food– and huge, oversized portions. Coupled with a lack of exercise and sleep, this lifestyle means the kids are not only hyper and unruly, they are at serious risk of becoming overweight and developing high-blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.
    Honey We're Killing the Kids! offers a startling look at the causes of America's childhood obesity epidemic and issues a critical wake-up call for parents. In the series, nutrition expert Dr. Lisa Hark shows how everyday choices can have long-term impacts on children, and offers both the motivation and the know-how to help turn these families’ lives around. Using state-of-the-art computer imaging and certified assessments based on measurements and statistics, Dr. Hark first gives Mom and Dad a frightening look at the possible future faces of their children – and a dramatic reality check. Then, introducing her new guidelines and techniques, Dr. Hark works with parents to reverse course and give their kids a healthy diet and active lifestyle.
    The family then has three weeks to overhaul its bad habits under the direction of Dr. Hark, who delivers a set of life-altering rules with the aim of completely transforming the children’s future health and lifestyle. Dr. Hark’s rules are straightforward and simple – rules like "Sack the sugar," "Family eats together," "Set a bedtime routine," "Limit television hours" and "Exercise together" are introduced each week.
    How are the families responding to the challenges set by Dr. Hark? Are the children trying new healthy foods? Can Mom quit smoking? Will Dad agree to become more involved in family life? Will the children try rock-climbing? While not always initially easy for the families, the rules often become fun, as new experiences are brought into their routines.
    At the end of the three weeks, Dr. Hark meets with the parents to discuss the modifications made to the family’s diet and lifestyle. Taking all of the changes into consideration, she then provides a new simulation of what each child could look like in the future, if they continue their healthy nutrition and exercise habits on a long-term basis. But not all families have an easy time adopting to Dr. Hark's rules. Tune in each week to see which families can correct their nutritional attitudes and habbits.

I DO HOPE THAT IT TURNS OUT TO BE SOMETHING THAT HELPS PEOPLE. I JUST WONDER IF IT IS A LITTLE TO LATE FOR SOME FAMILIES.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Practically Perfect

Re: Honey We're Killing The Kids

I saw a add for that too, and I think it's a great idea...sometimes I wish someone had taught me how to eat healthier and such before now...plus that would make it easier for me to keep a healthy eating routine...I know I'm ranting, sorry.

• Minion

I think it looks like a good show -- I mean anything to get people to start looking at what they are actually eating (myself included)

• Incognito

Blog Entries

They should have my boss' kid in this thing. He's 16 and eats sugar cereal every morning and then comes home from school and eats a pizza every single day, and barely eats anything else at all, and does NO activities other than watch tv or sit on his a$$ playing video games. And the parents do nothing to encourage him to do anything otherwise. Plus his dad is overweight so he has that going for him. I bet if he had a physical they would find something wrong going on.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

We have a major obesity problem in this country, affecting all generations...just check out my avatar...but it's an especially big problem for our youth.
    Any show that helps make this point is all to the good.
    The question is, will the people who really need to see this show, take time to watch. I know I'll be checking it out - thanks, Barbie for the tip...

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

We need to be taught how to eat right; we get the general guidelines, but how do you translate that into what we're actually eating tonight for dinner? I know I have some issues.

Hopefully the show will help those 13 families improve their lives.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I know people may not like it, but parents have just become to lazy these days when it comes to feeding their kids right. So what do they do? They blame the obesity of their children on the food makers rather than themselves. The parents are the one who can go for the veggie/fruit section rather than the snacks/Ice Cream/Fatty Foods section in the store, but they choose to avoid the veggie/fruit section and go for the Fatty Food aisle for their childrens meals.

It is not the food makers problem at all when it comes to obesity. These food companies usually conform to what the people are buying. It is evident these days too. You see when people started to buy healthier foods, what did the companies start to do? They started to reduce fat, carbs, & sugars in their products. Many cereal makers have taken out sugars from their cereals and replaced them with wheat and whole grains.

You see so the companies are just following what we buy. Every time we set a new trend when it comes to how we like our food, the companies will follow the buyers.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 03-27-2006 at 11:38 AM.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I would really like to hear from some PARENTS, what do you think?

I you could see into your child's future would that change how you are raising them now?

I have been wondering this cause as a child I seem to feel that things were my fault or that I wasn't good enough. (a child of divorce) Why wasn't I enough that my parents would love and put my needs first. I know that a child has not control over their parents and that I did nothing wrong. It just makes me think how different things might be if had parents who put me first. Would I have the same issues that plague me today?

If their was just one thing that you could have changed would you?
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• white and nerdy

I thought this was going to be another Disney Move about a shrinking ray.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

It's never too late to make changes in your lifestyle. I do wish the title of the show was, uh, anything else than "We're Killing the Kids" though. That's not very positive.

My son is an incredibly picky eater, as was my husband. I wish he would eat more things, but I can't MAKE him. All I can do is keep offering him choices, have him try new foods, and hope something will "stick".
    A signature should go here.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Bumping up this thread now that I've actually seen an episode.

I don't like "reality" t-v in general, but this show is very interesting to me - since, back in 1964, I wasn't too far from being that 8-year old on the show, and my look at 40, now 50 in two months, with that same basic lifestyle for that many years, isn't far off from that computer model. Probably worse.

And I'm still living the lifestyle. Since I'm home on disability, I'm having to make a little game where I give myself "MiceChat" time in exchange for my house-husband duties. Posting here is just as bad as playing video games from the exercise standpoint.

And the part where the Doctor says...those kids won't make 60...here I am, at almost 50...ouch.

I will say it's unrealistic to ask a family to make such radical changes all at once.

I don't have children, but I would think that this show is something that a lot of parents should watch..with their kids...at least once.

Now that the show's been on, what do you think?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I've only watched bits and pieces of the show and agree with SusieP that the name is unfortunate.

I've had issues with my weight all my life (still do), but found when I had a kid I didn't want him to struggle as I did. I did do things differently and he is much healthier and does not have a weight problem. We got him involved in sports early on (was not an option) and he was in sports year round since before he started school. We also made sure to introduce healthy food and he is much better about making wider food choices and staying away from crap food than we are.

I can see the difference and I'm glad that I helped him build better skills than I've been able to adopt for myself.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL
    I've only watched bits and pieces of the show and agree with SusieP that the name is unfortunate.
    I am supposing that the name is obviously designed to hook into the old Disney movie title - Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Maybe they could have come up with a better title, but one thing's for sure - the title is reflective of the message they're trying to get across.

And it may be a bleak one, but it certainly appears to be on target...

Barry

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I think the title's just for shock value.

I think it's a good concept, a good idea but I do agree that it's tough to have them change so much all at nce and expect to keep it up. But she did offer a few good suggestions and such so maybe people watching will be able to change their lifestyles a little.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I think the title's just for shock value.

I think it's a good concept, a good idea but I do agree that it's tough to have them change so much all at nce and expect to keep it up. But she did offer a few good suggestions and such so maybe people watching will be able to change their lifestyles a little.
    There's the shock value, and again I think it's a play off the Disney movie title.

There are elements of the show I don't like...the Doctor comes off a bit harsh...but I think she offered a lot of good suggestions, and once the kids and parents gave it a chance, they made some real improvements!

I don't have children, and wouldn't profess to tell anyone how to raise theirs, but I do see a lot of fat kids out there.

More to the point...I look in the mirror, and see in real life at age 49 what those computer projections showed for the 8 and 10 year olds.

I recommend the show, warts and all. I only wish it had been around 40 years ago!!!

-- Barry

PS...I can't believe the way some of those kids talk back! I would have gotten a good spanking, deservedly so back in the day. And more punishment besides that. ...Example..kid says to Mom..."no TV time? Then no chores, woman......" WOW!!!!! Is that the norm today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast