Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Los Angeles on the cheap...

Hi All,
    The wife and I are doing a quick weekend jaunt down to LA for her birthday, and while I have a pretty good idea of what we are doing, a little outside help might be useful.

We are trying not to spend too much money on the trip, but I was wondering if any of the locals/experts could suggest some fun, inexpensive (if not free) things to do/places to eat that are uniquely Los Angeles.

As a side note we are intentionally not hitting DL or any other theme parks. As my wife says this is an LA trip, not a Disneyland trip. But we may swing by the Knott's store and DD for some stuff.

We are planning on hitting the WB studio tour, and probably spending sometime doing the tourist thing around Hollywood. We are staying in Downtown and doing a fair amount of driving around so anything in the greater LA/OC area is fair game.

Note, while it may seem that way, we are not trying for a Hollywood/Movie star oriented experience (not planning on doing the star maps/celeb spotting thing), so most things are fair game.

Any suggestions?

• white and nerdy

Re: Los Angeles on the cheap...

What? WHAT?? you are purposly not going to Disneyland?
    .... I don't get it...

anyway you can watch a taping of a tv show for free and it's very fun. google "Hollywood taping" or "Free show tapings" or the like and you can find lots of the. I've been to several and find them very fun and interesting. AND it's free.

No Disneyland.... it just isn't right.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• no flash photography...

The greystone mansion is free. You can't go inside, but you can walk around the grounds.

Here are two ideas:

-Griffith Park
    has many nice hiking trails, you can see a "ghost town" zoo, there's the bat cave (aka Bronson Cave), Walt's Barn, "Live Steamers", and wonderful views of the Hollywood sign.

-Santa Monica, while touristy, is a good starting point for a day at the beach, the famous Santa Monica pier, and moderate sized walk to the spectacle that is Venice Beach.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

If you don't mind travelling to East L.A. you can get some King Taco (so good). Definetly recommend eating there if you're interested!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

The Getty is a nice place. Good restaurant too.

The LaBrea Tarpits are uniquely LA, visit the pits and the Page Museum there, then go to The Grove/Farmers Market which is nearby.

Venice Beach is always..... intersting

If you go to Knotts without going into the park at least eat at the chicken dinner restaurant!

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    The greystone mansion is free. You can't go inside, but you can walk around the grounds.
    I second this suggestion. The grounds are pretty amazing in themselves. Here's a link for more info.

If you do go, look inside and notice the black and white checkerboard flooring. If you keep a keen eye, you can see it in many many movies. The sight is owned by the American Film Institute and quite a few movies have been shot there.

Also, there is an absolutely gorgeous view of LA from the south side of the house. Well worth a visit.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Badgermann
    Hi All,

We are staying in Downtown and doing a fair amount of driving around so anything in the greater LA/OC area is fair game.
    You didn't mention dates but here's some resource info
    http://www.downtownla.com/
    http://www.audiencesunlimited.com/
    http://www.beverlyhillsbehere.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• no flash photography...

pictures of greystone mansion...I so wanted to go inside though. There is also a murder/suicide story there. It was really nice and relaxing there. They have picnik tables as well, but I would recommend bringing a tablecloth. they were very dirty. I would love to see the grounds in the original condition with all the water ways working and the pool not filled in, but it was still a very nice.

OK as to dates, it will be this weekend, 3/31 through 4/2. We looked at the TV show tapings, but nothing fell within our schedule that we wanted to see. We would have caught a flick at the El Capitan, but neither of us wants to see The Shaggy Dog. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

For the park people we are going in the Fall and staying on site, so we will get our fill then.

Plus we spent a week at WDW last Christmas.

We will probably meander around downtown LA and look at the buildings, since I am a bit of an architecture junkie.

Is Olvera street worth going to? It is near the hotel, but I am unsure if it is worth it.

Is Olvera street worth going to? It is near the hotel, but I am unsure if it is worth it.
    Olvera street is good for about a half hour. However, if you're going to be in that area, you're within walking/meandering distance from many good attractions:

-Los Angeles Union Station: It has a beautiful lobby (used in many films)
    -Philippe's The Original: Birthplace of the French Dip (http://www.philippes.com/)
    -Chinatown is only a few blocks north of these attractions.

Also, you're within walking distance of the Gold Line (light rail) and Red Line (subway) stations. The Gold Line connects to Old Town Pasadena, Museum of the Southwest, Heritage Square (restored and tourable Victorian Homes), whereas the Red Line can take you to anywhere in Hollywood or connect you with the Blue Line (another Light Rail) all the way to Long Beach.

Nobody walks in L.A.-- not anymore

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Awesome suggestiosn FPM! Using the Metro lines, especially when staying downtown, are the best for getting to Pasadena and Hollywood. Keeps ya from having to deal with driving and parking.

Dont forget the Disney Concert Hall downtown, and the Cathedral if you like really ugly Cathedrals (sorry, I think it's a hideous building).

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

AND there's a King Taco in Pasdenda!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Too bad you don't have mountain bikes or you could ride "Dirt Mulholland." I've done it with a couple of local riders.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

We will probably meander around downtown LA and look at the buildings, since I am a bit of an architecture junkie.

Defintely drop into the Biltmore Hotel for historic grandeur
    http://www.millenniumhotels.com/MCIL...n?OpenDocument

and The Standard (for the other end of the hotel spectrum), don't miss the rooftop bar/pool/circus
    http://www.standardhotel.com/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast