Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415223762112 ... LastLast

• most magical vaca ever

Re: Talkin' Baseball 2006 - It's Here!

Yup I'm happy with my teams win last night but just wonder when Georgie will realize that all our power hitters need more than the "MOOSE" to lean on.... Randy is obviously going down hill, and the other pitchers are well... ummm.... not much to discuss
    ~~~~~~

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    Yup I'm happy with my teams win last night but just wonder when Georgie will realize that all our power hitters need more than the "MOOSE" to lean on.... Randy is obviously going down hill, and the other pitchers are well... ummm.... not much to discuss
    I used to pay for the regional sports package on my DirectTV, which meant I watched the Mike and the Mad Dog WFAN radio show on the YES network...Have you ever seen Mike Francesa do his Patton thing when "the General" issues another "missive"? It's pretty funny...I dropped that package to save 12 bucks a month but I do miss Mike and the Mad Dog...and as far as I know WFAN doesn't stream its programming...

- Barry

PS...I understood why Yankee games on "YES" were blacked out (they wanted you to buy the MLB Extra Innings package)...but other shows like "Yankeeography" and the like were blacked out too...which didn't make sense to me.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

My PADRES won again, and are now just ONE game out of First place in the NL West....

And off-topic, very impressed with the Mighty Ducks in sweeping Colorado!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Angels get rained out in Chicago...they called the game off really early today, not surprising with the rain they saw even in last night's game. They host Seattle this weekend...maybe they can start to turn something around now.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Angels get rained out in Chicago...they called the game off really early today, not surprising with the rain they saw even in last night's game. They host Seattle this weekend...maybe they can start to turn something around now.

--Barry
    Hey...look what we found with the Angels on Thursday!

A PULSE!!

Who knew they could hit like that?

If all goes well, they might just climb out of last place this weekend.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    Juan Pierre

*bury's head and won't even discuss the Yankees today*
    Apparently that's the case again, with the Yankees losing the series to the Red Sox. Even more importantly, they lose Hideki Matsui...one of their most consistent players...for three months.

And what a scenario, in San Francisco. Barry Bonds...aiming to tie and pass Babe Ruth's career home run total, with the Dodgers in town for the weekend. Other than that, nothing special...Looks like Vin Scully will have the chance to make yet another classic home run call...

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Per the Yankees - looks like Matsui is out for most of the season. As deep as the Yankees are, they'll have to miss him...he's been among their most durable and consistent players the last few years...and Gary Sheffield's on the d-l as well.

And what a night and weekend it should be in San Francisco.

Tommy Lasorda sets the tone by ripping Barry Bonds a new one. For once I say, way to go Tommy!

The Giants are honoring Willie Mays, and many great Giants of the past are on the field at AT&T Park.

There's a media circus with Bonds still one homer short of the Babe for second on the all time list.

Dodger players are telling the tv audience that they wouldn't mind being there to see Bonds tie and/or pass the Babe...as long as the Dodgers win the games.

In the words of the great Vin Scully, "all in all...it's just another chapter...the Giants and the Dodgers"...

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

So how about those Angels, huh....back to back 12 run games...WHAT AN OFFENSE...(LOL)....

Anyway, the Angels make it two, count em, two in a row with a 12-7 romp over Seattle at the Big A ...

Dodgers beat the Giants 6-1...Barry Bonds 0-3.
    If you've read this thread at all, you know my views on Bonds. But watching him do anything other than try to hit home runs now is painful. He used to have such great speed. Now when he runs the bases he looks like he could be a spokesman for the Scooter Store (LOL).
    And his outfield play now? PLEASE........

And the Padres roll into the Northside of Chicago and bag number 11 of their last 12...

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

For the time being, anyway, this appears to be becoming my own personal blog. I don't want it to be that way, of course, but I will continue to post my observations here in hopes that others might still derive some entertainment and information from them.

At any rate - How about those San Diego Padres? With a 9-0 shutout of the Cubs today, they've won 13 of their last 14...Mike Piazza with a ninth inning game winning HR yesterday at Wrigley. Last year, the Padres had a great May...and that was enough to win the NL West at 82-80. I'm assuming they'll want to do better than that, and actually win a playoff game maybe this year...

The Dodgers win two of three in SF...Barry Bonds hs just one hit for the week. Now there's talk that he might sit out of their series in Houston, so he could pass the Babe in Oakland next weekend. If I'm Giants manager Felipe Alou, I'd be worried about winning some baseball games. They needed a ninth inning miracle to steal one at home from the Dodgers.

The Phillies have won 13 of 14. Albert Pujols reaches 19 homers faster than anyone else in baseball history. How about the Detroit Tigers?

And the Angels. Must we? I'm reading Buster Olney in ESPN's magazine, and he says that GM Bill Stoneman is doing the right thing with a bumper crop of talent from the minors, some of whom are now playing with the big club...Jeff Mathis, Howie Kendrick, etc.

16 wins. 22 losses. Losing two of three to the Mariners at home.

It's only May.

--Let's talk about it!

Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I enjoy reading all of your comments, Barry.

White Sox were as good a team, yesterday, as a fan could want. They come from behind, win a game, and turn a triple play. Sox fans are ecstatic again.

On the other side of town. How many ways can a Cubs Fan Whine? There is just nothing to cheer about on the North Side of Chicago. The only thing that Cubs Fans have going for them, is a cozy little ballpark, called Wrigley. In my opinion, that's not everything it's cracked up to be, either.

Sox have the best record in baseball, and the Cubs record is almost an opposite, almost losing as much as the Sox have won.

The end of the week, the Cubs and the Sox play the first leg of the Crosstown Classic. The Cubs travel to U.S. Cellular Field to play 3 games, with the team that shares the hearts of baseball fans in the City of Chicago. If it's nothing else, it's fun.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I enjoy reading all of your comments, Barry.

White Sox were as good a team, yesterday, as a fan could want. They come from behind, win a game, and turn a triple play. Sox fans are ecstatic again.

On the other side of town. How many ways can a Cubs Fan Whine? There is just nothing to cheer about on the North Side of Chicago.
    Is it Dusty Baker's fault? Certainly not entirely, with all of their injuries...this, from the aforementioned ESPN baseball analyst Buster Olney today -

The time has come for Cubs general manager Jim Hendry to make a decision on Dusty Baker.

Here's the thing: If Baker is the guy Hendry really wants to manage the team in 2007 and 2008, it shouldn't matter whether the timing of an offer and announcement fits neatly into a win streak. If Baker is the guy Hendry wants, he should give him the contract and end the speculation about Baker's future, and thus keep him from dangling in the wind of public speculation. If Hendry does this, he'll immediately take pressure off Baker and take the flak himself for the decision to keep him -- and that's better for the manager and the team.
    If Hendry is not sure he wants Baker back, he should fire him right now. He's had 3½ years to evaluate Baker, and that's plenty of time to formulate an opinion. And if he fires Dusty now, that'll leave plenty of time for Hendry to hire somebody who might find a way to get the team on the right track and back into contention.
    The Cubs are flat-out awful at the moment, floundering in an abyss of doubt, and some kind of decision on the lame-duck manager is badly needed.
    Chris De Luca says it's more a matter of when, rather than if, Baker will be offered a contract extension, but he says Hendry should wait until the Cubs move into first place; Baker hasn't earned an extension offer, he continues. Firing Baker is not the answer, writes Mike Imrem. The Cubs were crushed by the Padres in the series finale. The Cubs are tired of talking as much as they're tired of losing.
    From espn.com...

It's hard to believe that in baseball the loss of one guy could make such a difference. Since Derrek Lee was hurt, the Cubs have six wins in their last 23 games.

Barry Bonds did get a hit, but still no homer number 714 to tie the Babe...with interleague play, the Giants are in Oakland this weekend and the slumping Angels head to L-A to face the Dodgers...the first of two intra-city (or region) rivalry weekends around baseball.

--Barry

PS...As expected, the White Sox are playing like the best team in baseball. Great pitching, good defense, and now with Jim Thome even more offense.

Having said that...look who's crowding em for first right now in the AL Central...certainly not Cleveland like I predicted...but Jim Leyland's Detroit Tigers! I hope they stay in the race just because Detroit's a town with a rich baseball tradition that's had some really bad teams of late.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 05-15-2006 at 08:49 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

So how about those Angels? Yessir....there's nothin like sole possesion of last place to make you feel like heading out to the ball park to catch a game.

We should have swept the Mariners.

• most magical vaca ever

Went to the Yankees game last night... Lost to the Texas Rangers 4-2 : After a short rain delay there was just no hope that their bats would wake up!

Here are some pics starting with taking the George Washington Bridge into NYC...

~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the photos. I haven't been to a Major League game in a while. I am hoping to take in a few this summer, if I get a chance. However the way the Cubs are playing, there's more fun in the stands, than on the field. My sister in law, became a season ticket holder, and I am going to hold her to her offer of an invite to U.S. Cellular Field.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• most magical vaca ever

We have tickets to tonights game too but I think we are passing them along to some friends of ours... I don't think the kids can handle two nights in a row

I love going to the stadium, no matter where we sit. We've had nose bleed seats, bleacher seats and have even sat 3 rows behind the Yankees dugout- of course that was the BEST but there is just something about Yankee Stadium...... it's the DISNEY WORLD of MLB - filled with so much magic and history

We have gone to Shea Stadium several times too but we're not Mets fans so it's not as enjoyable. I've seen the yanks one time in Fenway Park in Boston, MA and one time we saw them play Baltimore in Camden Yards. I would really like to see as many MLB stadiums as possible in my lifetime
    ~~~~~~