Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Talkin' Baseball 2006 - It's Here!

Quite an opening day for the LA area teams...Angels rally and hold off the Mariners in Seattle 5-4...while the Dodgers rally falls just short and they lose their opener at the Ravine, 11-10...

Angel observations...they are relying on Casey Kotchman to come through with some good offensive numbers....I think Darrin Erstad is more at home playing centerfield. He's so intense that he'll run through walls, though and they need to keep him healthy.

And Rolaids used to give out the award for the top relief pitcher each year. Why do I always want an Alka Seltzer whenever "K-Rod", Frankie Rodriguez, comes in to close out a game?

The season's on.....

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Side question number 1 for the season...

If you could have your pick of any active "everyday" (non-pitcher) player in baseball right now, from any team, to build your team around, who would it be?

I'd probably think hard about Albert Pujols of the Cardinals.

The Angels Vlad Guerrero isn't as good as he was a couple of years ago.

Could it be Jermaine Dye of the White Sox?

How about Bobby Crosby of the A's?

Any thoughts?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband likes our own Derek Lee of the Chicago Cubs.

• most magical vaca ever

I would like to see Andy Petite or Roger 'trader' Clemens back in pin stripes

15-2 Yanks over the A's

*sidenote*
    The METS didn't deserve to win yesterday
    ~~~~~~

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    I would like to see Andy Petite or Roger 'trader' Clemens back in pin stripes
    But in looking for someone to build a team around, wouldn't you rather have someone not about to collect Social Security? (LOL)

The Yanks can score all the runs they want...til Friday
    When they head to the neighborhood of the Happiest Place on Earth (where their postseason hopes have gone to die twice in the last 4 years, BTW!!!)

Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

White Sox Championship Rings were distributed today at U.S. Cellular Field.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I don't much pay attention to baseball until near the end, but my team is the Red Sox and always will be. I only wish my Grandpa had lived to see them finally win it all in such a sweet way. That season was enough for me, if they never go anywhere near it again, I'm good to go.

Anyway, I just got back from the Rangers/Red Sox game. Hubby's work has a group that takes them every year to their suite. Free food and drinks and air conditioning. Nice! And every year they just happen to go when the Red Sox are here, funny thing. Of course, I've yet to see them win. The Rangers always win, I am convinced that I'm good luck for them. One year they were here for 5 games, the Red Sox won all but the one game I went to. Another year, they were tied at 7 and went some insane number of innings until after 2am Last year, they got beat down big time while my Mom and brother and his girlfriend were here and we went. The next night, it was like 12 - 0 with them winning. Yeah. I'm good luck for the Texas Rangers, y'all. If you are a fan, I'm only 30 minutes away so just buy me some tickets and they'll go all the way.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Bad night for the Angels....they get boxed around by the Mariners in Seattle. 10-8 Mariners...and DM2, thanks a lot...your Yanks blow one to our rival A's 4-3...Somehow, a day long rainstorm in LA skipped Dodger Stadium long enough for the Dodgers to win their first, 5-4 over the Braves.

Didn't see that game...but was it Denys Baez that got the save? He was a ley pickup for them from Tampa Bay...and if he is solid, and "Game Over" Gagne is back, the Dodgers are all the tougher.

And it happens a lot...the team that's honored for its championship...loses the game afterward...the Lakers used to lose a lot of banner-raising and ring nights in the NBA....

And it happened to the White Sox today.

And so it goes...

On another side note, has Disney reached a new low in progamming...with the Barry Bonds "reality" show that debuted tonight on ESPN?

I guess he's trying to reshape our perception of him.

In a nutshell...

He's the greatest player of this generation.

But he's also, at least in public perception, one of the bigger jerks around.

Should the media deny him mvp votes because he doesn't get along with them? Absolutely not. Should fans throw syringes (as in San Diego)? Of course not.
    Are there some idiotic questions asked sometimes? No question.

But Mr. Bonds, it's all part of the deal of being a big-league ballplayer and enjoying the money and fame you have.

And as broadcaster Jon Miller so delicately tried to put it...he's brought most of this...on himself.

People who send death threats are morons. But Bonds acted in this show like he's the first ballplayer to ever get em. Reference, oh - Hank Aaron, Roger Maris, Jackie Robinson among others for historical perspective.

Yeah, I admit - I'm watching...I want to see if the Imagineers can pull off the ultimate in this, yet another so-called...reality show...make Barry Bonds, likeable.

A new low for Disney in my book.

Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-05-2006 at 03:34 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I didn't watch enough of the Barry Bonds program to comment about it. I did catch a film clip, of Dusty Baker's son being grabbed out of harm's way, those many years ago. I was on another channel most of the time watching the delightful Gilmore Girls, although Rory gets more and more on my nerves every episode.

Now that the ring hoopla is over, the White Sox can get down to the business of baseball.

Chicago Cubs have announced that they will be honoring the late Ray Meyer at their home opener on Friday. Joey Meyer, Ray's son will throw out the first pitch.

I am home this afternoon, so hopefully I can watch the end of the Cubs game and most of the White Sox. Cubs are on here in Chicago at 11 a.m., and are playing the Reds. White Sox are on at 1 p.m. and are still playing the Indians. Today the fans receive replica championship trophies.

Play Ball

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Here's more on the "Bonds On Bonds" "reality" show - by the way, as I understand it ...Disney/ESPN is allowing Bonds to basically control content...(unbelievable)...

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

Let's not kid ourselves. There are people who hate Bonds, and they either will not watch the show or, more likely, watch it and continue hating him. There also are a lot of fans who love Bonds, want him to do well and will be moved by the access this series gives them to a superstar athlete with a lot of barriers. It's a content-controlled access, to be sure, but questions of access are a media fixation. Through its ESPN Original Entertainment arm, the sports channel reportedly is paying Tollin/Robbins Productions millions of dollars to air the series, and the company in turn has a profit-sharing arrangement with Bonds for any revenue generated.
    The article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...sn=001&sc=1000

Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Cubs have lost to Cincinnati. Final score 8 to 6. Time to change the channel and watch the team on the other side of town.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Cubs have lost to Cincinnati. Final score 8 to 6. Time to change the channel and watch the team on the other side of town.
    Well, that surprises me after the Cubs jumped out early. If the Reds could just find a way to keep the other team below 3 runs, I think they would win alot of games this year.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Angels a 6-4 loser in Seattle...starting off the season a less than robust 1-2, coming home to face the Yankees starting on Friday in Anaheim. What a way to open the home season!

Observations, although its very early...Jeff Mathis may one day be a very good catcher, but I sure do miss Bengie Molina, one of the best catchers they ever had.

Tough to see Jarrod Washburn pitching in another uniform...beating the Angels and ex-Dodger Jeff Weaver today.

Another quick note...looking for the anti-Barry Bonds type among still active players? How about Tim Salmon...in my list of five all-time favorite Angels, along with Nolan Ryan, Bobby Grich, Brian Downing and Troy Percival (their all-time great closer who closed out Game 7 in 2002). Salmon has battled back from missing all of last year and is swinging the bat well.

He's been one of the more consistent hitters of the last decade, and he never has anything bad to say about anyone. He was AL Rookie of the Year in 1993, and he's stayed with the Angels through three different owners, three different uniform and logo changes, a stadium renovation and an official team name change, who knows how many managers, and a lot of losing seasons (they were 41 games out of first in 2001) .

A lasting memory of 2002 is Salmon coming back out of the clubhouse to run around the stadium sharing the championship trophy after the end of the World Series. While Bonds sulked in the visitors clubhouse, wondering what might have been (a 5-run lead in game 6, with just nine outs to go... ).

Just thought you'd like to know about a guy like that.

Barry

PS...Dodgers losing to the Braves 8-5 in the 6th as of this writing...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Hey, DMof2...where are you...it's "on" for this weekend...Yankees-Angels at the Big A! The Angels open their home schedule with a bang.

Both Dodgers and Angels idle Thursday.

Terrible news for the Dodgers...more elbow surgery for Eric Gagne...They signed Denys Baez as an insurance policy, and now he'll be the man...be pleasantly surprised if Gagne pitches at all this year...Dodgers play in Philly this weekend.

The Phillies Jimmy Rollins 38-game hit streak was impressive, but it makes a difference to me doing over two seasons.

And why is it that I despise (former Angel) Jose Guillen, and his Washington manager, Frank Robinson, more and more all the time? Remember last year's little dance at the Big A? And how Guillen torpedoed the Angels at the end of the 04 season? And yes, I thought Mike Sciosia was wrong, too...

Still like your thoughts on the Bonds show, too.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Good news all around for the Dodgers today...

A 5-3 win in Philly...another save for Denys Baez...and word that Eric Gagne will be back by June after surgery.

Angels lead the Yanks 4-1 in the 7th at the Big A...

Hope some more baseball fans will come and join us here...

Barry