Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Talkin' Baseball 2006 - It's Here!

I am looking forward to attendng my first game of the season next Tuesday...I will have a press pass for the Cubs-Dodgers game in Los Angeles. I have secured an interview before the game with WGN's Ron Santo, whose story I find to be verey inspiring.

I thought that might impress you BarbaraAnn, but I guess not as much as I thought it might based on your comments elsewhere. I am looking forward to getting a first hand look at both the Cubs and Dodgers. And while I never have been a real Dodger fan, I must admit there are few settings more beautiful for baseball than Dodger Stadium.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Ron Santo.

What can I say. Most Cubs fans believe that he belongs in the Hall of Fame. I do not. Not as a player. Not based on his stats. Now don't get me wrong, I think Ron Santo is a wonderful person. He battled diabetes, his entire life. He played with the disease, and he played quite well. I remember watching the Cubs play, when he was a player. It never seemed that he heped the team, when they needed it. I just never was a huge Santo fan.

Ron Santo bleeds Cubby Blue, the way that Jack Brickhouse did. He honestly thinks that the Cubs can win, right down to the last out, and I suppose that is endearing. I am a realist, and perhaps that is wrong. Teams have won games against all odds. Teams have gone down to last at bats and won games. Teams have been down by many runs and won games.

Something about Mr. Santo, rubs me the wrong way. Sometimes you cannot put your finger on why. I like Pat Hughes, he is very knowledgeable. I just do not like the way that everyone worships Ron Santo. He is very brave. I am not talking about his moral character. I am not talking about his battle with diabetes. He is very honest and straightforward about that.

I don't make a very good argument for why I am not a Santo Fan. I just was never impressed with his career.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

There is no question about the fact that he did not have a Hall Of Fame career. He was a good, solid third baseman...no more, no less. And there's no question that he's more of a "homer" than Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray put together.

Still, I'm looking forward to meeting with and interviewing him, and I just thought you'd like to know about that!

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    There is no question about the fact that he did not have a Hall Of Fame career. He was a good, solid third baseman...no more, no less. And there's no question that he's more of a "homer" than Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray put together.

Still, I'm looking forward to meeting with and interviewing him, and I just thought you'd like to know about that!

Barry
    I am excited for you, if you are excited. Ron Santo played his heart out for the Cubs. He has a heart comparable to Ernie Banks who Santo played with. Santo's heart was broken 2 years ago, when they did not elect him to the Hall of Fame. The Cubs retired his number, and I was touched at the comment that he made. He said," that the retiring of his number, was his Hall of Fame". Santo played on a losing team, for so many years. Was he more talented than his career shows? Would he have better stats had he been on a better team? I don't know that.

I guess that perhaps I am not a die-hard Cubs fan. Santo is a die-hard. Banks is a die-hard. As I sat watching the Bartman game, (I know I should not call it that, but it pinpoints it better for me) I deep down inside, did not believe that they would win. I knew something would happen. If they ever do, it won't be as sweet for me as it will be for the die-hards.

It's my baseball flaw.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Meantime...the weird California spring weather continues...the Giants had two rainouts this week in San Francisco, and they've brought the bad weather south...
    30 minutes and counting for a rain delay at Dodger Stadium. Very rare, indeed.

Someone on TV asked if Mr. Bonds with his bad knees would still play in wet conditions. It was pointed out that he has several career homers off of Dodger starter Brad Penny. So if they get the game in, he'll play.

Tough way for the Angels to start their first major road trip. Rookie Jeff Mathis hits his first homer as a major leaguer, with two outs in the ninth at Baltimore to tie the game, 5-5. Orioles score in the bottom half to win at Camden Yards, 6-5. Eight homers in the game, as balls fly out of the parks in record numbers...

Barry

PS...Cubs win a wild one in Pittsburgh 11-6...and here's to Anders!
    at Minnesota...Anders' and TC Walt's Twins 5, DMof2 Yankees...1
    sorry, DM...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

White Sox won today 4 to 2. Paul Konerko hit two, 2 run home runs. However, Tadahito Iguchi made a fantastic play in the ninth inning that will be talked about for quite awhile. He was practically laying face down on the ground and he still managed to throw the runner out at first.

Cubs lost their game 2 to 1.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

The Angels lost again in Baltimore, 3-2...the Orioles scored three runs in the fifth to take the lead and that was it. Three losses in a row for the Angels...The Orioles always seem to be a major pain for the Angels, especially at Camden Yards. Not a good way to start a road trip.

Everyone says what a great player Vladimir Guerrero is, and it was such a coup, supposedly, that they signed him in 2004. He has hit as well as could be expected with no protection in that lineup, but he makes lots of baserunning blunders and I'm not sure about that great "arm" he supposedly has in rightfield.

And here's something I've been saying for two years now...the Angels have got to get Garret Anderson out of left field. He can still hit, and he's been a great Angel for many years but - for want of a better way of putting it - he "dogs" it in the outfield nowadays...perhaps because of his injuries...and when's the last time you saw him dive to make a catch.

And I don't know if this team is as "fundamentally sound" as I keep hearing. Errors beat them, and Bartolo Colon, again in this game...

Dodgers edged the Giants tonight in LA to even that series. Series finale tomorrow...it's the ESPN Sunday night special...so the entire country can watch Barry Bonds enjoying (as he says he does) 50,000 or so L-A fans booing his every move at Dodger Stadium. Then the Cubbies come to town...

Happy Easter all,

Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 04-16-2006 at 12:25 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

five straight come from behind wins in a row for the Twins!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I just checked the Magic League Baseball website, and I see that the Sox and Cubs both won their games this afternoon. Big Bad Yankees also beat up on the Minnesota Twins, ending their winning streak.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Angels stopped a three-game losing streak with a 9-3 win over the Orioles in Baltimore. They finish a four-game series there tomorrow.

Guess I should criticize Vladimir Guerrero more often. He hit two homers today.

Possible bad news...closer Frankie Rodrguez suffered what appears to be a minor injury, as did Tim Salmon...

The Dodgers lost the rubber game of a rather contentious series with the Giants, 2-0...dropping two games of the three...as for Barry Bonds...two walks, hit by a pitch, and a fly ball to the warning track...he's still looking for his first homer...Dodgers host the Cubs to open a three-game set Monday night...(7:10 Pacific, 9:10PM Central first pitch)

And the best team in New York after two weeks? The 9-2 New York Mets, who won again today...

Tomorrow...the first edition of Radiobarry's Monday Musings.

Oh, betcha can't wait for that....

-- Barry

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Greg Maddux pitches the Cubs to a win against the Dodgers. The game was just under 2 hours. Score Cubs 4, Dodgers 1.

White Sox defeated the Royals 9 to 1.

I could learn to like all this winning by Chicago baseball teams.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I had a class tonight...got in my car at 9:30pm Pacific...turned on the radio, and not only was the game over...but the post-game show as well! A game at or around the 2 hour mark is very rare these days. Watching Greg Maddux pitch is like watching a true artist at work. A great pitcher doesn't need to throw 100 mile per hour fastballs. He needs to change speeds, keep the hitters guessing, and paint the corners of the plate. Maddux has been doing all of that for a long time now.

If he's not a first-ballot Hall of Famer, there never was one.

Meanwhile the Angels slump along, losing to the Orioles at Camden Yards 4-2...losing three of four in that series. Now it's on to Minnnesota...Note to Anders and TC Walt...it's on...for the nex three days !!!

And some guy in Arizona gets arrested for throwing something resembling a tube of toothpaste out of the leftfield stands at Barry Bonds. Life on the road is going to be interesting for the Giants all season...

Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Okay, drumroll please...MiceChat proudly presents...

BARRY's MONDAY MUSINGS...A WEEKLY FEATURE

What will be some Monday bullet points of things going on in baseball...please feel free to respond to one or all...

Entering week 3 of the 2006 season...

---Barry Bonds escapes incident in LA, but has a tube thrown at him in Arizona - and still has no home runs. How will the whole Bonds circus play out? Will he be suspended before he passes Babe Ruth?

--Ken Griffey, Junior injured again in Cincinnati.
    Has that been a star-crossed affair for Junior and the Reds, or what?

--Masters at work. Greg Maddux mows down the Dodgers, and Pedro Martinez gets career win number 200 as the Mets beat the Braves (yes, you read right ) and go to 10-2.

--The White Sox beat Kansas City. I feel sorry for what few Royals fans might be left. This once-proud franchise is now a laughing stock. This, the team of George Brett, Bret Saberhagen, Frank White and so many others...which won the World Series in 1985...
    is now in tatters. Poor ownership and baseball's ongoing economic imbalances have doomed once-proud franchises in Detroit, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh as well.

The Red Sox lead the AL East. And if they get pitching from Schilling and Beckett like they have been , a big if...

White Sox and the Tribe share the early AL central lead...and that's going to be tight. Cleveland is good. Really good.

And the "race" in the AL West..Oakland and the Angels both 6-7...the Angels may be in a lot of trouble. They need pitching and defense to win most of their games...and they've been terrible defensively so far.

As for the NL...The Mets are the big story at 10-2...Houston leads the Cubs by a 1/2 game in the Central...And the Giants, baseball's Geritol team, leading the NL West. You have to admit that the Dodgers have been hit by more than their share of injuries. The Cardinals are right there in the Central too...and Albert Pujols (four homers in four at bats) is the best player in the game right now. Hands down.

My first edition of Monday musings, officially entered just after midnight Tuesday Pacific Time...I'll be attending my first game this season, as the Dodgers host the Cubs Tuesday night...

Your thoughts please...

Barry

Yes, Albert Pujols is the best all-around player in the game today. Not only is he a fantastic hitter, but his fielding and baserunning abilities are often overlooked. He strikes out on average only 60-70 times a year, which is low for a power hitter.
    It's ironic that his four homers in four at-bats ties a major league record with another Cardinal, Stan "The Man" Musial.
    There's a statue of Musial outside our new ballpark and I have no doubt he'll be having company in about 15-20 years.
    Oh, by the way, Go Dodgers!!
    "I'll be in my bunk...."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

In the interest of full disclosure, I regret to say that I won't be attending tonight's Cubs-Dodgers game after all. My little dog Shuggie is facing possible emergency surgery later this afternoon, and I need to be there for her...I'm hoping, if she's OK, to be able to go tomorrow if only so I can still get to interview Ron Santo.

If not, I'll just have to wait til the Cubs next visit...
    A thought or prayer for my Shuggie would be appreciated...
    Now back to baseball...

-- Barry

Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3456789163156106 ... LastLast