Page 91 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41668188899091929394101116 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2003

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: The Talkin' Baseball Thread

Well, at least the Angels have made a move. They had to do something after the Juan Rivera injury...

ocregister.com...

BY BILL PLUNKETT
    The Orange County Register
    ANAHEIM–Like a last-minute shopper, Angels general manager Bill Stoneman went back to a picked-over market Christmas weekend when he learned outfielder Juan Rivera had broken his left leg and would be out indefinitely.

As a result, the Angels agreed to terms Tuesday with free-agent infielder Shea Hillenbrand on a one-year contract with a club option for the 2008 season. The Angels pursued Hillenbrand at the trade deadline last season before he was dealt by the Toronto Blue Jays to the San Francisco Giants. He hit a combined .277 with 68 RBIs and a career-high 21 home runs in 141 games last season.

Hillenbrand, a career .287 hitter and an All-Star in 2002 and 2005, will make $6 milllion in 2007 with an option for 2008 at $6.5.million. The 2008 salary becomes guaranteed if Hillenbrand reaches a certain level of plate appearances next season, or the Angels can buy it out for $500,000. The deal is pending a physical.

“We’ve always liked Hillenbrand’s bat but when we got the news Rivera was injured and that the likelihood was it would extend into the season, that provided extra impetus to get after another bat and Hillenbrand was the guy,” Stoneman said.

Rivera will undergo surgery on his fractured tibia today in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He suffered the injury during a winter league game in Venezuela on Friday when he tried to beat out a ground ball to the right side. He collided with the pitcher who was covering first base. The surgery was delayed until swelling in the injured area subsided.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but given Hillenbrand's "journeyman player" past, this seems like a bargain basement pickup relatively speaking. I hope I'm wrong.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

And the Giants, who apparently don't have enough big-name Barrys, win the Zito sweepstakes...

Star lefthanded and high sought after lefty starter Barry Zito goes all the way...across the Bay...and signs a lucrative (what other kind?) seven year contract with San Francisco...Zito changes leagues, but probably won't be changing his home address.

And stories persist that the Yankees might peddle Randy Johnson back to the Diamondbacks...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Lucky, Rather Than Good

Barry Zito is a nice pick up just a little pricey
    " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

A seven year contract for a pticher seems a little risky.

I received an e-mail from the Angels yesterday offering presale on Spring Training tickets. Yippee!!!! Spring Training!

I think with Juan Rivera's leg being broken, the Angels need to sign at least one more bat. Hillenbrand isn't enough.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Tui's Brother

The Minnesota Twins have signed RHP Sidney Ponson to a Minor League contract. I hope he can boost the Twins pitching next season because Fransisco Liriano it out for the season.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    The Minnesota Twins have signed RHP Sidney Ponson to a Minor League contract. I hope he can boost the Twins pitching next season because Fransisco Liriano it out for the season.
    That seems to be a stop-gap measure at best. Seems like "Sir Sidney's" best years are behind him - hope that's not true for your sake, Stevo.

By the way, the page has turned and its now January - ONLY ABOUT SIX WEEKS TIL PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT TO SPRING TRAINING!

--Barry

• most magical vaca ever

54 days until the First Spring Training Game March 1st

Yanks vs Twins

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Baseball!!!!
    ~~~~~~

• Tui's Brother

I cannot wait until this baseball season.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

I am so excited! My friends and I are going to Spring Training the weekend of March 9th. Yea!! Tempe, here we come!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• now on the mainland

Wow, haven't been on MC forever! Anyways, for once in my life I'm looking forward to the month of March. Tampa-stan area is going to be packed full of baseball teams for Spring Training. We've got the (cough) Yankees up the street from me, the Phillies, the Indians, the Blue Jays and the Braves all coming into town! I cannot WAIT to start hearing the smack of ball hitting leather gloves and the crack of a wooden bat!

• Lucky, Rather Than Good

Randy Johnson was traded today. Another good pitcher the Dodgers Will have to face, great.
    " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    I am so excited! My friends and I are going to Spring Training the weekend of March 9th. Yea!! Tempe, here we come!
    That's great, Jenn! I've seen the Angels in Tempe a few times...and I went to some of their games in Palm Springs when they used to wrap up spring training there back in the day.

Please tell me that they aren't done making moves. This roster they have now doesn't look much better, in fact worse than it did at the end of last season. Or are we expecting Gary Matthews and Shea Hillenbrand to take us back to the promised land...

I know that CA man has a lot of teams coming into Tampa. I think you can find something like seven training camps (maybe more) in the greater Phoenix area of Arizona alone!

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Today's the day for Hall of Fame inductees to be announced. While it appears that it will be a big day for Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken, Jr....not so for the man who hit 70 homers in one season.

Over the past two months, ESPN surveyed Hall of Fame voters for their opinions regarding Mark McGwire's presence on the Hall of Fame ballot. ESPN also compiled columns from media members indicating how they voted on their ballot and included those within its survey.

Of those whose surveys were taken and columns were read, the results are below (questions in bold).
    How would you vote in the survey? Here's your chance to register your vote.
    Will you vote for Mark McGwire, on the first ballot, for induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Yes -- 37 (26.8 percent)
    No -- 101 (73.2 percent)

Of the 101 who said that they would not vote for McGwire, ESPN asked the following question:
    If no, will you vote for him in succeeding years?

Yes -- 5 (5.0 percent)
    No -- 31 (30.7 percent)
    Undecided -- 43 (42.6 percent)
    No opinion given -- 22 (21.8 percent)
    Question to those in this thread: Does Mark McGwire deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame? On this first ballot? Or ever?

We know about what McGwire was taking at the time. But what he was taking was within the rules at the time.

Yes, his performance testifying before Congress was pitiful. But he had a great career worthy of the Hall. And we all know that during his magical 1998 run with Sammy Sosa, baseball execs turned a deaf ear to comments on what he was taking, since that home run derby helped the game recover from the disastrous 1994 strike.

I say that McGwire should be voted in eventually, but not on the first ballot.

--Barry

• most magical vaca ever

I say that McGwire should be voted in eventually, but not on the first ballot.
    My thoughts exactly Barry... not the first ballot at all....

There will be a lot of controversy over this issue in many years to come....
    ~~~~~~

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Question to those in this thread: Does Mark McGwire deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame? On this first ballot? Or ever?

We know about what McGwire was taking at the time. But what he was taking was within the rules at the time.
    If what he did was within the rules, then I would vote for him. To me, the whole "first time" thing doesn't make a difference. Why punish someone who played within the rules of the game, just because he testified about his use? I mean, in my eyes, the big difference between him and Bonds is that McGwire admitted it. To me, there is no doubt in my mind that Bonds has used substances. I hold McGwire higher than Bonds for his admissions. I think most people hold Bonds higher, and I cannot figure out why.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..