Page 98 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4873889596979899100101108123 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2003

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Talkin' Baseball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones View Post
    i'd start here. Basically it's all you need to know (but warning - it's heavy on arcane stats baseball geeks use); Conclusion: Tim was the best player ever to never appear in an All-Star game.

and then here - in the Angels Halosphere on the web, he's considered the all time greatest Angel.

that's what April 3rd is all about.
    Thanks for help.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So, VBdad55, did you watch the White Sox in the World Series, or did you root against them?

• Rally Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    By the way, DisneyJones, thanks for all your work and the great pictures!

--Barry
    Barry - my pleasure to share my passion! most of web time where i talk basbeall, i hang my hat at halosheaven.com and 6-4-2.blogspot.com.

or .... if we beat the Yanks, i drop by here to say and to DMo2.

a friend of Walt.

• Volleyball Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Another Cubs fan. Welcome to MiceChat.
    Thank you -- I hope there are a few of us here......
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Volleyball Dad

So, VBdad55, did you watch the White Sox in the World Series, or did you root against them?
    I grew up a South Side Cubs fan -- my grandfather was from New York and a huge Yankees fan so when he took me to Sox games as a kid, it was to root against the Sox.

I actually didn't root against them,but I paid little attention also -- unlike most Sox fans who are obsessed with hating the Cubs.

When ( not if) the Cubs win a world series, that celebration will be like none other...overshadowing the Bears and Sox wins..
    " Disney Parks- far from perfect- but still a great shelter from the storm "

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Since I am not an Angels' fan, and I am now going to the game with Barry on April the 3rd, I will have to read up on Tim Salmon.
    There are a lot of great resources provided in this thread. For my part, here's a pic I posted last year at the time when he came off the disabled list and joined the team, to the delight of the fans. The image was shot straight off of my TV screen.

And the following, recapturing LA Times headlines from the 2002 World Series, hangs outside the dining room of the Angel Stadium press box.

That's Tim on the far left, rounding the bases after hitting yet another clutch home run, this time to get his team an all-important win in game 2. (Lighting up Edison refers to the fact that the stadium was named Edison International Field at the time - in a corporate naming deal that lasted five years.)

Anyway, I'll never forget Tim, leading the players back out of the clubhouse to run around the entire stadium and share the World Series trophy with the long-suffering fans after game 7.

Tim Salmon is one of the great underrated clutch players of his era.

He's everything you want from your hometown hero player - giving his all on the field, mild-mannered, humble and soft-spoken off the field.

(He'd frustrate you somewhat as a radio reporter, because he was hardly what you would call a great "sound bite" guy.)

But his demeanor was always the same after a game, whether it be a tough loss or a big win. Unlike many athletes today, he never really sought out the spotlight.

From 1992-2007...All those years with the same team. Tim Salmon played through three different Angel uniforms and two different stadium configurations...three different owners and around a half-dozen managers. He knew as much as any player ever did about the "thick" and (mostly) "thin" of the Angels and their fans.

That's what April 3 is about, to me.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 03-05-2007 at 09:12 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rally Time!

Timmy's last day at Tempe Diablo as a player i captured pretty good on camera: March 30, 2006. i knew the significance of it, even though it was just a spring game.

i get him pictured warming up, signing and mingling with the fans, doubling, scoring, enjoying his last moments, and his final steps off the field at Tempe Diablo into the tunnel as a player.

A few other players are in this gallery as well - Garret, Robin Yount, Lackey, Mathis, Morales, Weeks, and frankie.
    a friend of Walt.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Barbaraann - Timmy is pretty much a hero to any Angels fan. I can't imagine the team without him this year.

The last game of our season in 2006, his wife and kids threw out the first pitch of the game ... Timmy caught it. It was a Kleenex moment. My entire section it seemed was in tears.

He's the heart.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Rally Time!

more pics Saturday, Thursday and Friday from ST in Arizona. Today i'm going to try to squeeze in ASU v. The Beach.

I'll also proudly throw in my UCR Highlanders - ranked in the Top 20 the week before - they fell out of it last week ,but they beat USC at Deadeaux Tuesday.

Go Sun Devils (#11) - Go Highlanders- Go Angels!!!
    a friend of Walt.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disney jones View Post
    Go Sun Devils (#11) - Go Highlanders- Go Angels!!!
    Go CSUF TITANS (5th last time I looked) and, of course, Go Angels.

Although I can't see how the Gary Matthews situation can help them, at least not on the field. Matthews needs to ignore the union and his advisers and at least have a private conversation with Arte Moreno.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• In Blackberry Rehab

Season seat holder here, and the thing I will always remember about Tim was that he was never too good to not sign an autograph. Year in and year out we'd see him out in left field, signing dozens of items. We'll miss 'ya Kingfish.

honk if you see me at disneyland!

• Rally Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Season seat holder here, and the thing I will always remember about Tim was that he was never too good to not sign an autograph. Year in and year out we'd see him out in left field, signing dozens of items. We'll miss 'ya Kingfish.
    "left" field?
    a friend of Walt.

• In Blackberry Rehab

"left" field?
    LOL, that was misleading...but I was referring to just before the game, during long toss..

honk if you see me at disneyland!

Got to see my first spring game of the year. My company bought everyone tickets and we got to leave work early to go to the game. It was White Sox vs. Diamondbacks.

White Sox started all starters except for Pierzynski. Erstad led off and played into the 8th inning. There were three home runs, all solo shots, one by Brian Anderson on the Sox and two by the DBacks (one was Chris Young, the other was a minor leaguer). It was a fun game and the Diamondbacks won 4-2.

The highlight for me, as a Dodger fan, was right when I walked in the stadium, seeing a familiar figure, now wearing a DBacks uniform, running out towards the outfield, wearing his familiar number 23. I wasn't close enough to be sure, but then standing right in front of the dugout for the national anthem was the DBacks new bench coach, Kirk Gibson.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Just over three weeks before BarbaraAnn and company, and I attend Tim Salmon night at the Angels game on April 3rd. I wanted to give BarbaraAnn some idea of our vantage point for the contest.

Now this picture was taken last season from behind the leftfield "bleachers", above the bullpens. Our seats will be to the right of this view, on the "fair" side of the foul pole, on the terrace level(which is, if you look at it, the upper rows of the field level). Again, they were the best seats I could get.

It should be a great night.

--Barry

PS...It's looking more like we'll get a look at someone you might remember, in a Texas uniform...smilin' Sammy Sosa...