Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Re: Dispatcher thinks 911 call is joke- woman is found dead!

As a former Emergency Dispatcher, I can attest that this is one of the most underpaid, most STRESSFUL jobs there is. You control so many people's safety. The callers, the patrolmen, the EMT's, Firemen and yourself. It can wear on you!

That being said, it's no excuse for what she did. BUT it might have been department policy.

BUT I'm appalled that she didn't get more information AND even more appalled that an officer was not dispatched to at least assess the situation.

When I was working, it was department policy to ONE: call the number back for all hangups and children on the phone and TWO: an officer was dispatched for both.

And it's been taught in women's self-defense classes and in women living in abusive relationships to call 9-1-1 and hang up!
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• love my friends

I just saw this one the news.. that is so unbelieavable.. they say she wont be fired either.. beause of her years of service.. I THINK SHE SHOULD .. who cares!!!!

Friends for life

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

On, unbelievable, because
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Tui
    On, unbelievable, because
    it is unbelievabvle that this happened in the first place.. to think it was just a joke.. I think TAKE EVERY CALL seriously

Friends for life

Re: Dispatcher thinks 911 call is joke- woman is found !

Here is a different link, with some other information.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michi...t=newsmichigan

• Married and happy again!!

Wow that was enough to just about make me cry. What that womand did by questioning if this was a prank or not is just despicable. How does she still even have her job? I feel horrible for that whole family especialy the boy. God bless him he tried to do what was right, what parents tell a child to do in that situation. I hope the family wins thier court case, not that it will bring thier family member back but the city of Detroit needs to learn to have more responcible people manning the 911 lines in thier city.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Now he's 5?

It was inaudible? Send the police...doh.

Bottom line for me- this was a judgement call she should NOT be empowered to make. Period.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    it is unbelievabvle that this happened in the first place.. to think it was just a joke.. I think TAKE EVERY CALL seriously
    Tui is just correcting your spelling.....in his oh so "charming" manner.

You're dead on right- you don't assume a call is a joke. It can, and clearly has, cost someone their life.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by kelly
    I just saw this one the news.. that is so unbelieavable.. they say she wont be fired either.. beause of her years of service.. I THINK SHE SHOULD .. who cares!!!!

If she gets fired (which is HIGHLY doubtful) she'll just turn around and sue Detroit.

Of course it was THEIR fault for not training her properly, understaffing, levels of stress, some obscure "perceived" policy, blah, blah, blah...

I'd want to be on THAT jury...

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGirl
    I can't believe that this 911 dispatcher thought that it was within her scope of training to know what calls were serious and what calls were pranks. Their job is to take the call and respond accordingly. Not stand in judgment over the caller. My deepest sympathy goes out to that child, having lost my parents when I was young I know it will not always be easy for him.
    Actually, screening calls IS the biggest job of a 911 dispatcher. People call 911 for directions, to report space ships, to get weather reports, etc. Dispatchers have to quickly screen calls, toss the wacky ones and get help to people that need it. It is a shame that this happened, and I only hope that a lesson can be learned. They will be able to determine when she died, if she was alive when her child called etc. In my city, if you call 911, you are getting a visit from two police officers. I don't know why that didn't happen, but it sounds like that dispatcher has had a long career, and this is the first time this has happened. I know I make mistakes all the time at work, you just don't read about it in the news. I think that no one feels worse about this then the dispatcher (well, maybe the city lawyer...) and this will be with her the rest of her life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123