Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Question What kind of dog should we get?

Hi guys, I have a bit of a dillemma. We got a kitty a few months ago and it appears he has run away Its beena about a week and he hasn't come back like he usually does. His tag had come off earlier, so there is no way for someone to find us. I plan on calling some shelters tomorrow to see if he has turned up, but I don't expect him to come back.

Since the cat has been gone, our dog has been really depressed. They were best buddies and spent all day playing together. He is noticibly lonely and we feel bad seeing him like this.

We don't really have time for another dog because we are so busy, but he really needs a companion. We have been talking about getting another dog. Our dog Lincoln is a huge dog, but he is so good natured and gentle. Now that we have had a cat, we know we can have a smaller dog and that Lincoln won't try to eat it.

So to get to the point: I need suggestions on what kind of dog we should get. Its going to be indoors, so I want something that won't shed a lot. We also want something that won't be yippie or too high strung. We plan on getting a puppy to make sure he will get along with our dog and so that we can kennel train them. I am leaning towards a miniature schnauzer and my husband wants a toy poodle. Size wize, I would like something no bigger than 25 pounds, but preferrable something that could be carried. We don't want to spend a ton of money and will probably look at the shelters, but does anyone have suggestions as to a good breed?

(wow, that was a long post!)
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• horsin' around!

Re: What kind of dog should we get?

my opinion..instead of going through the entire puppy stage...go to the shelter...find a lonely critter that fits the 'great w/ other dogs' category! they screen them really well for that... :-)

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, I see your reasons for wanting a puppy, but let me make an alternate suggestion to you:

Leash your dog and take him to your local Petco/PetSmart (whichever) on a weekend when they're having pet adoptions (be sure and ask, because often they'll have a local pet rescue group come on weekends with their rescue dogs to be adopted, just find out when). That way, your future dog can pick you (and your dog), which, in the end, is really the best way to pick a new member of your family. Also, rescued dogs, being a couple years older, are often already trained, and the volunteers doing adoptions will usually know something about the personality and needs of the dogs, as they are often the foster homes for those dogs during the week. That's more predictable than you can get from a puppy, and again, there is something to be said for having your dog pick his new friend (and the friend pick him).

So there's my suggestion. I know it's not a breed recommendation, but I hope it's helpful. (Incidentally, unless you have allergy issues with their body oil, Labradors are about the best all-around dogs you can find. Them and Golden Retrievers)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Practically Perfect

"a cocker-a-spanish-a-girl!"

okay, seriously...I grew up having 3 miniature schnauzers (not all at the same time...usually we've always had a least 2 dogs at a time) and I have adored all of them! They are very good natured (well, ours have been) don't shed that I know of, very cute and loving. I would recomend them to anyone...plus they're not too small and not too big. One thing to keep in mind though is that miniature schnauzers are prone to kidney problems (or so I've been told...and we found out ) but if you know that from the get-go your vet sohuld be able to give you advice on the best foods and such for them. All breeds have their ups and downs though, so don't let that freak you out too much.

In the end we usually end up going into the shelter or wherever and just falling in love with someone. You'll know who's going to be the right addition to your family when you see them . Best of luck and I hope that helped at least a little. Feel free to PM me if you have any schnauzer questions! I'd be glad to help!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Our dog Lincoln is a Labmarainer, black lab/weimerainer mix, so I know how great Labs can be. He is just so big! I don't think we can handle another dog of his size.

Growing up, we always got dogs from shelters, so when I call around, I am going to find out about the shelters and see if we can't find something there.

I appreciate the suggestions so far

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• insufferable know-it-all

dq: you needn't necessarily visit a shelter, though it always feels good to get dogs out of those places. You can also adopt through rescue groups (so they're free to keep more dogs out of shelters). It's entirely up to your preference and where you happen to find the right dog for you.

If the lab's too big, consider something like a Brittany. They're pretty sweet. Still a "dawg"-sized dog, but not quite as large or strong. Oooh, or those miniature greyhounds, they're so cute (full-size greyhounds will be too big, but talk about sweet dogs! There are tons of those available about about 4 y/o, which is the age they're "retired" from racing, and rescue groups take them. Greyhound rescue is a special field, so if you wanted one of those (which, again, I know is too big for you, but someone else might be reading this), then you want to find a greyhound rescue group.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Well, I see your reasons for wanting a puppy, but let me make an alternate suggestion to you:

Leash your dog and take him to your local Petco/PetSmart (whichever) on a weekend when they're having pet adoptions (be sure and ask, because often they'll have a local pet rescue group come on weekends with their rescue dogs to be adopted, just find out when). That way, your future dog can pick you (and your dog), which, in the end, is really the best way to pick a new member of your family. Also, rescued dogs, being a couple years older, are often already trained, and the volunteers doing adoptions will usually know something about the personality and needs of the dogs, as they are often the foster homes for those dogs during the week. That's more predictable than you can get from a puppy, and again, there is something to be said for having your dog pick his new friend (and the friend pick him).

So there's my suggestion. I know it's not a breed recommendation, but I hope it's helpful. (Incidentally, unless you have allergy issues with their body oil, Labradors are about the best all-around dogs you can find. Them and Golden Retrievers)
    I was running in here to say the same thing..but as for breeds..coming from a groomer, a poodle wouldnt be a good dog for you guys if you are really busy..they need grooming at least every 4-6 weeks either by a professional groomer or one who would be willing to teach you (like me!) if dogs like that arent groomed regularly you get matts, and if left in, the matts can become a health issue..now, enough rambling from me..

If you want something small, I would say a Mini Schauzer (they look so cute in their breed clip) or a Boston Bull Terrier

actually, I would go to the AKC website, go thru the toy breeds, and read the personality descriptions and grooming requirements to see which breed would work for you guys..

Good Luck! and let us know how it goes..oh and PICTURES of your new fur-kid!

**on edit**

yes! breed rescues! Ive been part of many transport operations to get a furry to their forever home..find the breed you like at AKC, then look around for a breed rescue for the breed you are interested in..
    Last edited by Groomer; 04-09-2006 at 10:06 PM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I'll have to do some research into rescue groups in the area, I know there are breed specific groups if we find a breed we are interested in.

In this area, unfortunately, people are more likely to just shoot dogs they don't like, so I don't know how much luck I am going to have finding one. I only founf 2 shelters in the phone book!

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• And, THEN she said...

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    In this area, unfortunately, people are more likely to just shoot dogs they don't like, so I don't know how much luck I am going to have finding one. I only founf 2 shelters in the phone book!
    welcome to my world here in ky..and its horrible..

if you cant find a rescue in your area for the breed you want, dont be afraid to look outside of your area or state..most rescue groups will arrange transport for a dog..one person takes it so far, then hands him/her off to another person and this goes till someone meets you and hands you your new baby!
    Last edited by Groomer; 04-09-2006 at 10:18 PM.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

I have shipoteeses or malshipoos some combo of maltese, poodles and shiztus loving for sure , grooming its just best to shave the little devils the hair dosent mat when its not there lol, also they are all hair not fur which is great if there is any alergey concerns. they love cats and let them sleep on our bed with them ( very generous of them since it is OUR bed ) which makes 4 dogs and 1 or 2 cats. They let the neighbors dog come in the house for a play date and for milk bones. When we go away we have a doggie door so our neighbor just comes over to refill water and food and they all find it perfectly charmming to have the house to themselves, they are very self sufficient and low maintence since they have one another.

• Senior Minion

I just wanted to share I have had my Beagle from the shelter for going on 8years now. We had to go through a few processes like getting his shots of course and we recieved refunds from the shelter for following the list of requirements.
    He has the micro-chip in his neck as well to identify him and possibly return him to us.

Although my dog is pretty happy where he is at! He is very good natured and loves anyone he meets.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

My suggestion? If you are looking for a full breed dog, go to Animal Planet's dog finder and answer the questions you see appropriate. I cannot seem to find the link right now, I'll try again later for you!

We did it and it matched us with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We found one, adopted her and now I doubt we'll have any other breed of dog. She matches our personalities perfectly.

Still, I'm with everyone else here, go to a breed rescue or shelter first. Do your research prior to making a decision.

And, of course, let us know what happens!

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    We did it and it matched us with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We found one, adopted her and now I doubt we'll have any other breed of dog. She matches our personalities perfectly.
    Yay! Another Pembroke WC owner on the board! Mine is almost 3 years old.

But as for shedding, Corgis shed a lot.

I'd go for some poodle mix. That seems to cut down on the shedding. Sorry about your cat, dq.

• Huh?

I say go for a beagle.

They don't get too big. They're pretty quiet most of the time (until they get VERY VERY excited by something, in which they'll start howling, but it usually takes a lot to do that). Rather short hair. And they do make good lap dogs.

Go to a breeder though, not a puppy mill dog from the pet shop (those dogs usually have a LOT of health problems from inbreeding and poor conditions).
    -Tim

• Huh?

Oh, personally... I think I might want a Shiba someday. They're nice, pretty dogs...

Those would shed too much and are too big for your tastes, though.

-Tim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast