Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Cats-

• Original Mice-Chatter

Talking Walking Cats-

My cats are indoor cats- always have been and always will be. We live in a neighborhood that has coyotes, foxes and other far more fearsome critters than my babies. Not to mention cars, which they have never had to deal with.

Sera needs exercise- he's a lazy porker. Tumbles wants to go outside. He spend the day in the window just longing for his unattainable desire to be a tiger in the wild. So, I am thinking of getting them harnesses and leashes.

Surely a cat can be walked? Or am I crazy? (no cheap shots TYVM)

Does anyone have experience with this?

• Minion

Re: Walking Cats-

I've never tried to walk my cat. However, a friend of mine tried to walk three different cats of his and with every one of them, it turned into a total drag. Literally!
    Most cats don't take kindly to leashes of any kind, or being forced to do anything they don't want to do. Give it a try. Maybe yours will be different.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

You could stick them on a treadmill and see how they react?

• Hello there

Blog Entries

My cat hates the leash - hates IT!!! as soon as you put it on her it is like the weight of the world is on her back and she can't walk. She is an indoor cat, but we put the leash on her so she can sit out in the back with the rest of us during barbecues and like cleaning up the yard and stuff- just so she can get some fresh air
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• And, THEN she said...

sure! cats can be walked! i had one that loved his cat harness/leash...I started mine from a kitten, but im sure you can leash train a cat..I started my cat like I did morgan when she was a puppy..

put the harness on them and let them wear it so they get used to it, after they are comfy with it, attach the leash and let them drag it around and slowly work up to you holding the leash and let them walk you for a bit, have some really good stinky cat treat and feed them so they want to follow you..but only give it to them when they are on the leash, so they associate the leash and walking with something good..and be patient..they wont walk like a old hand for a while!

and if it turns out they really hate the whole concept, let me know cause I have some alternatives up my sleeve!

hugs n good luck!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Even if all they do is get some outdoor time, I think it will be a benefit. Tumbles is young and energetic and I suspect he may love it (once he figures out that he can't get out of the harness) Sera will likely just sit himself down in the sunlight (or act terrified until I let him back inside) we'll see.

Poor Sera, funny what happens to a barn kitten when they get taken inside.

Thanks Groomer- I'll give that a try! I think Tumbles will LOVE it, until he realizes he can't actually chase the squirrels.

• Banned User

mom has an indoor cat, tilly who used to be ours until we had to give her to mom because of alergys. she has never been out side and she also sits in the window. she is well loved and when i told the vet we wnt to walk her or take her out side he said "no" once you do they will try to get out all the time, they will not be content to be indoors anylonger and there for you have big problems with them because of there need to escape. He said cats do not need to go out, and if they are in the window they get plenty of sun shine. He also said to get some grass to grow indoors and they love that, or catnip to play but keep her indoors unless i wanted to always have to catch her before her ruinning out the door. I took this at heart because she has never dealt with out door issues and if she got lost it would devistate us all. she has toys she loves, and 3 scratching posts, hanging toys and such. she is content and I do not want to rock the boat by taking her out and dealing with her forever wanted to go out again and maybe getting lost if the kids open the door and she got out.

• Minion

When I got my Siamese kitten the place I lived did not allow unleashed pets so from the very beginning I began training her to a Figure 8 harness by making it part of play time, then putting it on for a little and letting her wear it around the house. Then, the leash.

Walking her was never very good but it was a way to control her from the house to the car and she learned quickly that she had to have the harness on before she stepped outside. She also was always a good passenger in the car and loved to lounge in the rear window while traveling.

Some years later I made a long leash from nylon cord and she would love to be tethered in the backyard where she had a little box with a rug and liked to take the sun and occasionally catch a low flying bird. She would spend hours outside on nice days.

I have friends who've leash trained their cats in the adult years but I think it's so much easier doing it when they are very young. Good luck.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Yeah, Sera is 6, Tumbles is 2. Sera will be harder.....I know it.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I used to walk my mom's cat, Quinn, on a leash yearrs ago. He did okay with it, but he would get bored easily. He wanted to go at his own pace, not mine.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Mexihick, y'all

Good luck! My sister had a cat named Elton...she would walk him all over Chicago. But I know she started real young with him.

I tried...ONCE. There's nothing worse than dragging your cat on its side down the street.

• Hooterville, USA

You can freak your cat out if is hasn't been out before. Listen to what Karla posted, that's the same stuff I've heard too!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

We tried to leash our old cat once. She hated it; she plopped on the floor and refused to get up until it was removed. Seriously, we would pick her up but the second we put her down she plopped right over again.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I love cats. They have such amazing personalities and quirks.

• Huh?

My cat, fortunately, only tries to escape out the back door. The reason that's fortunate? He's a big wimp. We live on the second floor. Outside of that door is a balcony. He doesn't like going out the front door at all. Every time it's happened, I either take him to the vet or take him to get terrorized by his sister.

Balcony is ok. Gives him a chance to go outside a little bit. He just sits on the railing, watching the birds, trees, and general nothingness.
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast