Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Thumbs down Overnight Phone Spam Alert

Just wanted to let my fellow MiceChatters know about something that's been going on the last couple weeks, of which Ken and I were victims last night at 4am:

A company identified on caller ID as "Hot Lead Company" with an (818) number is calling numbers at random overnight, regardless of "Do Not Call" status.

I searched a bit online, and this is happening to people all over SoCal and beyond. From one blogger's writings, it appears that the company is doing this to search for fax machines to which they can send spam faxes.

Has this happened to anyone else here yet?

I hope these people get what they deserve, because this was very unsettling, knowing that my mother is about to undergo surgery soon.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Overnight Phone Spam Alert

If you are on the National Do Not Call Registry and continue to receive improper telemarketing calls, you can file a complaint here.

• Banned User

Yes I got one about a month ago. I jumped out of bed and was so shaken since no one calls me after 10:00 and I was so scared something had happened to my parents or family !

• I'm your huckleberry.

Definitely be sure to report it to the FTC. If enough people report it, that company will be going DOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Any call in the middle of the night will scare someone, hopefully this will be stopped soon!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

If you can't remember the number, your phone company will provide you with the details. It is a violation of the law for a company to telemarket after 9pm wether or not you are on the National (or any state) Do Not Call list.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Again! Again! Again!

I got one similar to that, but it was a text message! I can't remember exactly what it was for though. Some weird TM with a (209) area code. I want to say it was like SPS MEdical or something. Crap I wish I could remember. It said call whatever the company was and then a phone number. And I got that same one about 6 months ago too! But that's all I've gotten. Time to report!! Anyone else gotten those?
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

We used to get those all the time in the middle of the night to our home fax number--the stupidest faxes. Wouldn't have been bad except the home office is very close to the master bedroom, so we heard them all the time. We finally had to change the number.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I got a call with no one on the other end of the line earlier this month at about 2AM...we don't have caller ID so I wonder if this was the same thing...verry scarry...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    If you can't remember the number, your phone company will provide you with the details. It is a violation of the law for a company to telemarket after 9pm wether or not you are on the National (or any state) Do Not Call list.
    Not without a court order. The regular reps do not have access to this information.

• no flash photography...

Inwouldn't know...I ahve unplugged every phone in the house. If someone I know needs me they can call my cell and I will get the message when I turn that phone on in the mornings.

We are on a DNS list and we get about 7 telemarketing calls a day...weekends it doesn't matter...probably more than 7...it was to much.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

We got two or three of these before I finally stopped leaving paper in my fax machine. (I only put paper in when we are expecting a fax.) We also registered for the do not call list. We haven't had an early morning fax attempt in at least two years.

Sorry about the scare regarding your mom, DP. Sometimes you just want to reach through the phone line and throttle these idiots.

• Do You Wanna Get Rocked?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy4
    I got one similar to that, but it was a text message! I can't remember exactly what it was for though. Some weird TM with a (209) area code. I want to say it was like SPS MEdical or something. Crap I wish I could remember. It said call whatever the company was and then a phone number. And I got that same one about 6 months ago too! But that's all I've gotten. Time to report!! Anyone else gotten those?
    My mom got that text message the other day..I just deleted it!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Unsoliceted (spelling!) faxes are illegal as well. Report those guys!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Having tried to get a company shut down for harassing phone calls...

I'm unimpressed. The police take a report, give you a number to call when you get another call, the phone company puts a "trap" on your line, and you call them when you get a call. They will give out information to the police, but that's as far as it goes. The calls we recieved were being placed from another carrier, and the carriers do not work together to release information on callers. I wonder what it would take.

Our solution- our phone automatically blocks "number not available" calls, and asks the caller to identify themselves. (It's a phone company option.) It rings my house, plays their recording, and gives me the option to take the call. My doctor and my vet come through as unavailable, so I usually do listen to who's calling. Most of the time it's telemarketers, but once in a while it's a call I need.

Our bedroom phone will ring once on those and then be silent. Most of the overnight calls are unavailable calls, so I'm not as interrupted as before. We would get fax machines calling literally all hours of the night. The problem with the faxes is there's no way to tell who's sending them. The advertised company isn't the one doing it, though that's who you'd take to court. I wonder how that would turn out.

Spam faxes are illegal, yes, but it's difficult to track down who's doing it, and even then it's usually from China or something; so the company that's here, in the US, subject to our laws, isn't the one doing it, and the one who is is inaccessible.

Makes a person want to be a hermit.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.