Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: NHL Playoffs, Official MC Thread

For the sake of my pal Splash, I'm just glad things ended the way they did.

My overall question is...how far does hockey still have to go to recover from the disaster of 2004-2005.

They've made the game more fun to watch, and more exciting, but they still have a long way to go to win back many of their fans.

Many baseball fans I know still haven't gone back, and they never cancelled an entire season...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Pkaroch
    Last night's game was beyond amazing, I couldn't have asked for a better end to the series. When they blew their 3-1 series lead I wasn't particularly happy...but I hoped they'd come home and get the job done. When Williams scored the empty netter....absolute insanity. I'm sad to see hockey end...but now I can dry out and clean my apartment, and be in an excellent mood doing it,
    I agree, definitely one of the best (if not the best) game I have seen in a very very long time. When Williams scored my brother and started jumping up and down and screaming, man were we glad to see those Greasers go down. The pace was just amazing, the checks were huge, amazing saves on both ends of the ice, extremely creative offensive set ups (man do I wish the Flames had Erik Cole!!!) it was the perfect way to end a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    For the sake of my pal Splash, I'm just glad things ended the way they did.

My overall question is...how far does hockey still have to go to recover from the disaster of 2004-2005.

They've made the game more fun to watch, and more exciting, but they still have a long way to go to win back many of their fans.

Many baseball fans I know still haven't gone back, and they never cancelled an entire season...

--Barry
    Well Barry, I honestly don't think that hockey was truly affected that badly. All teams, except a few southern teams, experienced a large upswing in ticket sales. Carolina has shown that hockey can survive in a southern city, and can do well while having a large fan base at the same time.

As for winning back fans, I don't think it matters much. Teams gain fans in successful runs and lose them during ruts. However, I don't think that the baseball strike and the hockey strike are comparable, as baseball didn't really go under a huge change in playing style as a result. Remember, one of the reason it happened was that hockey was viewed as boring and clutchy and too low scoring to be exciting. It's changed now for the better (except for those damn shootouts!). As I understand it baseball did not undergo any serious changes to the gameplay, it was all about the money. I think thats what turned so many people off from it. In the hockey strike many people viewed it as a necessity in order to help the game grow and be more enjoyable.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    As I understand it baseball did not undergo any serious changes to the gameplay, it was all about the money. I think thats what turned so many people off from it. In the hockey strike many people viewed it as a necessity in order to help the game grow and be more enjoyable.
    Uhhh...gotta disagree with you there, Splash. The 2004-2005 NHL season was lost due to a lockout (by the owners) and not by a strike (which would be a players union action)...and it was all about the money too. The owners were willing to blow off an entire season in order to get the spineless players union (unlike baseball, with the strongest union probably of all time) to cave in to a salary structure that the owners felt was to their advantage. And the owners won big time. The rules changes were largely for marketing purposes to get fans back after the season was lost.

And except among hardcore fans such as yourself, just like me with baseball, they still have a long way to go.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• insufferable know-it-all

Am I the only person that doesn't like the new style?

Anyway, I guess I'm glad the canes won (because otherwise I'd have to hear Talon pissing and moaning about it), but I wouldn't have minded seeing a Canadian team take the cut.

I was VERY glad to see the goalie get the Conn Smythe, especially after that one fantastic save. You wouldn't think the human leg could bend like that!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I'm glad the 'Canes won for the simple fact that the Wild get the 17th pick in the draft as opposed to the 30th now from the Oilers. In any other circumstance I'd be all for the canadian team winning though.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Anyway, I guess I'm glad the canes won (because otherwise I'd have to hear Talon pissing and moaning about it), but I wouldn't have minded seeing a Canadian team take the cut.
    Here's the thing with the NHL...the last two Stanley Cups have been hoisted in traditional hockey hotbeds....Tampa, Florida and Raleigh, North Carolina.

True, fans came back and filled the arenas this year. But in pro sports today, it is all about the tube money and ratings. Granted, hockey is a sport that is best enjoyed live and, according to some, is not suited to TV (although I've always enjoyed it). But when most of your national games are on a network few people outside of cycling enthusiasts have ever heard of...OLN (not even available to all cable subscribers)...you have a problem.

I like the new rules because they open the game up more, and best of all - eliminate ties. I don't like the shootout, though. In baseball you play til there's a winner. What if at the end of nine innings, if the score's tied, you went to a home run derby format? I don't think so...I say, sudden death for however long it takes, just like in the playoffs.

--Barry

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Any final thoughts on what I posted just previously here, hockey fans?

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Here's the thing with the NHL...the last two Stanley Cups have been hoisted in traditional hockey hotbeds....Tampa, Florida and Raleigh, North Carolina.

True, fans came back and filled the arenas this year. But in pro sports today, it is all about the tube money and ratings. Granted, hockey is a sport that is best enjoyed live and, according to some, is not suited to TV (although I've always enjoyed it). But when most of your national games are on a network few people outside of cycling enthusiasts have ever heard of...OLN (not even available to all cable subscribers)...you have a problem.

I like the new rules because they open the game up more, and best of all - eliminate ties. I don't like the shootout, though. In baseball you play til there's a winner. What if at the end of nine innings, if the score's tied, you went to a home run derby format? I don't think so...I say, sudden death for however long it takes, just like in the playoffs.

--Barry
    I completely agree. This new shootout thing is just a gimmick, and I hate it. It takes away the whole point of the game, which is meant to be a team effort, not individual.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Uhhh...gotta disagree with you there, Splash. The 2004-2005 NHL season was lost due to a lockout (by the owners) and not by a strike (which would be a players union action)...and it was all about the money too. The owners were willing to blow off an entire season in order to get the spineless players union (unlike baseball, with the strongest union probably of all time) to cave in to a salary structure that the owners felt was to their advantage. And the owners won big time. The rules changes were largely for marketing purposes to get fans back after the season was lost.

And except among hardcore fans such as yourself, just like me with baseball, they still have a long way to go.

--Barry
    Yeah, I dunno what I was thinking posting that . I think too highly of my beloved sport I guess. Hockey can do no wrong! lol.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Well, now that the playoffs are over, it doesn't mean that we have to stop talking hockey! No sir! Tomorrow is the NHL draft, and I'll be posting all first round picks in here, ready for discussion.

Oh, and of course, NHL awards tonight.

Hart: Big Joe Thornton (duh, everyone knew he would get it, after what he did for San Jose!)

Vezina: Kipper! (again, a no brainer, easily the best goalie in the world right now)

Norris: Lidstrom (mmkay, makes sense)

Lady Byng (the most hated award of profesional sports: Datsyuk (no one cares)

Jack Adams: Lindey Ruff (he did a great job with the Sabres this year, but I would have given it to Laviolette and his amazing job with the Canes. Eh, oh well)

Calder: Ovechkin (ARGH! This makes me angry, I hate Ovechkin. Yeah, he's really talented, but he's so full of himself it's sickening, shoulda given it to Sidney!)
    Last edited by splashmountainfreak; 06-23-2006 at 08:17 PM.

• Princess of my own world

Splash... Boo!! So I found the hockey thread. Yay! Anyways. Since I am new to hockey... how does the draft work? I know for like the ECHL they have certain players on a protected list pending the 1st draft. Does it work the same as in other sports?

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by PrncssZ
    Splash... Boo!! So I found the hockey thread. Yay! Anyways. Since I am new to hockey... how does the draft work? I know for like the ECHL they have certain players on a protected list pending the 1st draft. Does it work the same as in other sports?
    It's the same way as other sports. Every team is assigned a number that signifies when they will be able to draft, the worst team getting the first pick the best team getting the last. They go through 7 rounds of drafting. Although this years batch of rookies won't be anywhere close to the amazingness of the rookies of last season (can't beat Crosby, Ovechkin, and Phaneuf) there are still some good prospects. Any hockey questions don't hesitate to ask .

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

double post
    Last edited by splashmountainfreak; 06-24-2006 at 09:40 PM.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

NHL Draft Today!!

St. Louis: Erik Johnson
    Pittsburgh: Jordan Staal
    Chicago: Jonathan Toews
    Washington: Nicklas Backstrom
    Boston: Phil Kessel
    Columbus: Derick Brassard
    New York (Isles): Kyle Okposo
    Phoenix: Peter Mueller
    Minnesota: James Sheppard
    Florida: Michael Frolik
    L.A.: Jonathan Bernier
    Atlanta: Bryan Little
    Toronto: Jiri Tlusty
    Vancouver: Michael Grabner
    Tampa Bay: Riku Helenius
    San Jose (from Montreal): Ty Wishart
    L.A. (from Edm. - Minn.): Trevor Lewis
    Colorado: Chris Stewart
    Anaheim: Mark Mitera
    Montreal (from San Jose): David Fischer
    New York (Rangers): Bobby Sanguinetti
    Philadelphia: Claude Giroux
    Washington (from Nashville): Semen Varlamov
    Buffalo: Dennis Persson
    St. Louis (from New Jersey): Patrik Berglund
    Calgary: Leland Irving
    Dallas: Ivan Vishnevski
    Ottawa: Nick Foligno
    Phoenix (from Detroit): Chris Summers
    New Jersey: Matthew Corrente

And in other news, Calgary and Colorado completed a blockbuster trade: Calgary gave Jordon Leopold and a second round pick for Alex Tanguay. Personally, I'm very excited about this trade. Tanguay could be just what the Flames were looking for in offensive support, and might just be the guy to provide the Flames with that creative offensive spark. I expect Sutter to pull in another big name by signing a big free agent (got my eyes on Mark Savard!)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718