Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Trekkie Dad's incredibly short bike ride with Princess Buttercup

Oh, where to begin? Princess Buttercup and I had been planning to ride together during my spring break. But a couple of issues emerged: 1) the lousy weather, and 2) PB has (how can I say this nicely?) let herself go. She had planned to get in shape for this ride--but more about that later.

Taking advantage of a possible break in the rain, I arrived Wednesday night at PB's and visited with Westley until PB got home from taking her daughters to Davis. In a fruitless attempt to muddle my brain and distract me from my mission, PB mixed up the witches brew she calls a "Cosmopolitan." As you can see from the evidence in the photo, she got Westley in on the act:

But I foiled that attempt, as I only downed a few sips of the toxin, pretending to be too busy talking. You can see PB here trying to get advice on how to get out of her commitment to ride from her MiceChat cohorts:

They even kept me up past my usual bedtime, but that didn't help her cause either.

The next morning I was up in time to take a couple of early morning shots of the valley and hills visible from their back deck:

After PB left for work (That's what she claimed!), I decided to get in a little warmup ride up Lockhart Gulch. (I don't understand why these people don't ride more when they have these wonderful little hills to climb. Where I live we drive for miles to find a few hills to ride in.)

Anyway, I cut my warmup short at 12 miles. While waiting for PB to get back from "work", Westley and I picked out a couple of bikes from the garage and set to work getting them in riding order. I made sure the tires were properly inflated and adjusted the deraillers on the bike I thought was the pick of the litter. (Though I'm sure the wheels alone on this behemoth outweighed my entire titanium steed.)

So here was the plan. I had mapped out a nice little route from Corralitos to Gizdich Ranch that would take us through the idyllic Browns Valley and Hazel Dell. I figured it would take about an hour to cover the route. PB didn't seem to trust my estimate.

We were a little late getting started, but I figured we could pick it up a little, since only the first few miles of the ride would be a gentle uphill grade. But PB hadn't been able to train as she had promised. Despite being outpaced by a family of snails, she put on a happy face, as you can see from this photo:

This was one of the several times I had doubled back to make sure she was still maintaining forward motion, as you can see from this shot here:

Can you see her in this picture?

At 3.5 miles up this road, I had discoved why we had see the same bike riders traveling in both directions:

(Looking back)Hey Buttercup, where are you?

To be continued....
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: Trekkie Dad's incredibly short bike ride with Princess Buttercup

Buttercup??

Buttercup??

Oh, there you are!

It was at this point we decided to turn around and find another way to Gizdich Ranch. But we would have to go the entire 3.5 miles back to the car. On the way back, I decided to call Pixywingz and tell her we would be delayed. I predicted PB would want to pack it up and want to drive to Gizdich. (And I was right!)
    So we drove to Gizdich (by way of downtown Watsonville, I might add), and made it just in time to take a few shots with Pixywings. Don't be fooled by the smile on PB's face. She was so pooped she forgot to take off her helmet!

And here I was told I was standing on the wrong side of the "Antiques" sign. (I don't need a sign to remind me!)

But in an unguarded moment, I got a candid photo showing how Princess Buttercup REALLY felt at the end of our little ride:
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• Banned User

Oh man, I have tears in my eyes I am laughing so hard!!! this was so hilarious!!!!!!!!! Oh and I tried her cosmo, yep total scary stuff
    Poor Buttercup, I can imagine how this big biking meanie took you thru the drill and made you go uphill and almost pass out from all that work, man I am tired just thinking about it
    I bet you are sleeping good right now

• That Guy

Very nice! Thanks for the report. My mountain bike has all the bells and whistles on it, which help to make it the best clothes hanger I have ever owned...

• Senior Minion

Congratulations PB glad you finished! Trekkie didn't beat you up too much I hope? And way to go on the "behemoth"
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Fun trip report. Great pictures.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• Merry 2014!

From this report, I can see that PB is diabolical all right!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Forever thankful. .

omg! what a hilarious report! and PB, I only laugh because you are still alive. I would have been dead on arrival!!!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Great report Trekkie Dad! Princess Buttercup is a pretty brave person to try and ride with you...I'm sure it takes a tough person to keep up with you! And those cosmos look pretty darn good to me! Great pictures, thanks for sharing your trip with us .

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

OH my this was great!!!!! This is why I hang out around here!! So many fun people doing wild,crazy and entertaining stuff!!! I love it!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Who, in their right mind would go on a bike ride with Trekkie Dad? Oh ... I guess we know the answer to that ... and as for the right mind???

Now, the cosmos, that's another story. I would have just planted myself on the couch and talked as fast as I could sipping away all the while.

Good sports, both of you!

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    2) PB has (how can I say this nicely?) let herself go. She had planned to get in shape for this ride--but more about that later.

LOL Gee thanks Trekkie Dad! I haven't let myself go completely. Sure, I was sweating a little and my heart rate was up, but I wasn't panting or passing out and I never stopped going till I reached the top of that HUGE mountain! I swear I was in 7th then 6th then 5th then 4th then 3rd then 2nd then 1st and finally in what TD calls Granny Gear and I still was barely moving! I could probably have walked up that mountain faster! It was a beautiful ride scenery wise but I was convinced you were trying to take me all the way to Mt Madonna! LOL

In a fruitless attempt to muddle my brain and distract me from my mission, PB mixed up the witches brew she calls a "Cosmopolitan." As you can see from the evidence in the photo, she got Westley in on the act:

LOL Hey ! You asked me to make you one! LOL You and Karla are both wimps...those drinks are mild! LOL

But I foiled that attempt, as I only downed a few sips of the toxin, pretending to be too busy talking. You can see PB here trying to get advice on how to get out of her commitment to ride from her MiceChat cohorts:

Yep, this is me typing a message to Pixywings. It read "Dear Pixy, Please pray for a huge storm tomorrow with lots and lots of rain so I can get out of this ride. I think TD is planning a ride that is going to kill me. He has deluded himself into thinking that I agreed to get in shape to go on a 30 to 40 mile ride with him. I am going to go 10 miles only and then I need you to meet me at point A to give me a ride to point B. Thanks."

Okay, so I embellisihed a little just now....I didn't really write all that...just the part that said please pray for rain so I can get out of this! LOL But I am glad I went..it was challenging , well for me anyways, but also a lot of fun!

They even kept me up past my usual bedtime, but that didn't help her cause either.
    LOL Say what? ! ..it was YOU who kept us up, not the other way around! LOL

The next morning I was up in time to take a couple of early morning shots of the valley and hills visible from their back deck:

I love our view!

After PB left for work (That's what she claimed!),

Yep, I was scheduled to work till noon ,but I thought about calling home and saying there was an emergency and they needed me to stay till 5 pm! LOL

But one of my clients who belongs to a biking club told me not to be afraid, that the road from Corralitos to Gizdich Ranch was just "lumpy" but not too steep! Little did I know that TD was plotting to take me the "scenic" and MOUNTAINOUS way! LOL

Anyway, I cut my warmup short at 12 miles. While waiting for PB to get back from "work", Westley and I picked out a couple of bikes from the garage and set to work getting them in riding order. I made sure the tires were properly inflated and adjusted the deraillers on the bike I thought was the pick of the litter. (Though I'm sure the wheels alone on this behemoth outweighed my entire titanium steed.)

See? I have an excuse for being so slow...I have 10 more pounds than TD on my body and I had about 20 more pounds than TD on my bike!!! LOL

So here was the plan. I had mapped out a nice little route from Corralitos to Gizdich Ranch that would take us through the idyllic Browns Valley and Hazel Dell. I figured it would take about an hour to cover the route. PB didn't seem to trust my estimate.

Well...if we had just taken the short and FLAT (lumpy)route to GR, we would have been there in an hour. Or if we hadn't kept comimg to "Road closed" signs! LOL

We were a little late getting started, but I figured we could pick it up a little, since only the first few miles of the ride would be a gentle uphill grade. But PB hadn't been able to train as she had promised. Despite being outpaced by a family of snails, she put on a happy face, as you can see from this photo:

LOL Thanks for not photo shopping a family of snails into that picture of me like you said you were going to! Hey, I really was getting back into shape until I got set back by having vertigo for two and a half weeks. But I will get back to my normal weight and normal good shape soon and then we will have a re-ride!

This was one of the several times I had doubled back to make sure she was still maintaining forward motion, as you can see from this shot here:

LOL I don't think I was ever going backwards was I? Just slowly!
    Good thing TD was wearing his bright orange riding (clown) suit so I could see him, though there were a few times when I mistook some bright orange traffic cones for him from the distance!! LOL

LOLLooking back)Hey Buttercup, where are you?

If I'd been smart I would have been inside that truck getting a ride up that MOUNTAIN!
    To be continued....
    I wasn't too far behind at that point!

• Merry 2014!

Kudos for being so brave to ride with TrekkieDad! Personally, I would have supplied more cosmo's. Those and the fabulous view, Yummy!
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    Buttercup??

Buttercup??

Oh, there you are!

LOL Yep there I am still alive! Isn't the scenery beautiful? That's what most of the roads in the Santa Cruz mountains look like!

It was at this point we decided to turn around and find another way to Gizdich Ranch. But we would have to go the entire 3.5 miles back to the car.

And guess what?! It was downhill the whole way! Yay! I never had to peddle and I almost had to use my brakes a few times. To me , that is PROOF that it was a MOUNTAIN not a HILL we rode ! LOL

On the way back, I decided to call Pixywingz and tell her we would be delayed. I predicted PB would want to pack it up and want to drive to Gizdich. (And I was right!)

Yep! While he stopped to call Pixy, I decided to keep riding so I could get back to the car before him. I could barely lift my leg to get off the bike and my butt cheeks were not feeling too good from my hard seat! TD had offered to let me use his "shammy" before we started the ride, but I had foolishly turned down his offer! My butt cheeks still feel like someone took a bite out of them ! LOL

So we drove to Gizdich (by way of downtown Watsonville, I might add), and made it just in time to take a few shots with Pixywings.

Yep...my bad....I was still delirious from the ride and wasn't reading the map very well so we took the long route through downtown Watsonville. We went right past the Mello center where I do my dance performances. I said to TD...."You know, you asking me to ride 30-40 miles with you is like if I asked you to take an intermediate level flamenco dancing class with me!"

Don't be fooled by the smile on PB's face. She was so pooped she forgot to take off her helmet!

LOL The truth is I had helmet head hair so I put it back on for the picture! LOL

And here I was told I was standing on the wrong side of the "Antiques" sign. (I don't need a sign to remind me!)

LOL The truth is all the of the older guys who passed me on their bikes were in better shape than me....and I told them so!! I love Pixy Wing's top! Isn't it pretty?! And it looks great on her!

But in an unguarded moment, I got a candid photo showing how Princess Buttercup REALLY felt at the end of our little ride:
    Yep! That's me wearing Ken's shorts! LOL Do they make my legs look thin? LOL

Great mini trip report Trekkie Dad!

Don't be surprised when I post the pictures of you sleeping and drooling on that Blues Clues pillow on my couch! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 04-15-2006 at 07:47 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Very nice! Thanks for the report. My mountain bike has all the bells and whistles on it, which help to make it the best clothes hanger I have ever owned...

Funny! >>>>A lot of people have bikes like that! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast