Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Children and Cell Phones

Do you have children? Does your child have a cell phone?

First of all, my children are full grown, but I have a 13 year old grandson. A few months back, his mom, not my daughter, gave him a cell phone. At first I thought that it was a bad idea. I have now changed my mind. It is nice to be able to reach him, whenever I want to. He is very responsible with his phone, and always calls me back, when I leave him a message. His mom has his phone set up, so that he can't run up the bill. She probably has other parental control features on there also, because she is one smart mom, when it comes to Sean. When he takes the phone to school, he has to give it to the teacher. He is only in the 7th grade.

So what do you think about children and cell phones?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Children and Cell Phones

I was totally against them until my son got one this year. He walks home from school, which takes me apx 10 minutes, but since he walks with friends and is in 6th grade he tends to dawdle The phone has been great for me to call him to "hurry him along" Also, when we spends the night at friends' houses he has it with him. A couple of weeks ago he had spent the night at a friends house and the mom told K she'd bring him home at 5:30/6pm. Apparently, she changed her mind and just showed up at 4pm. We had ran to the mall since we had gotten the word FROM THE MOM he'd be home later. He was able to call us and let us know he was coming home earlier then expected.

We had a free one, his bill is $20 a month(friends and family plan) and if he goes over, he pays. He's yet to go over though.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• I'm your huckleberry.

I've been considering a cell phone for my daughter, who's 10. We live in a very safe area, and are only a couple of blocks from the park. She and her friends like to go there, ride bikes, etc. and I would feel MUCH better if she had a phone with her.

We've been discussing it, and I'm thinking about giving her one at the end of the school year as a reward for a full year of honor roll. I think she's earned it and would be responsible with it (besides I've already told her if she goes over her minutes, its coming out of her allowance).

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

I got my daughter one, and I had people tell me how silly it was to do this. but I did it because I wanted her to be able t9o contact me when she needs me. Several months ago she went to a youth group with frends friends school, and they did not take her right away, instead she was walking around and she was upset. She could not go on her own so she followed them. when she got home she was so upset, and it was my fault because 1. Ishould have taken her,
    and 2. I should have made sure they were going right to it. I asked the girls and they said " oh yeah we are heading there now" well I got my daughter a cell phone and now she can call me if she is late, or any time. To make her responsible she has to buy her own minutes, and she does so well with the phone and I am so glad she has it so I do not worry if she can call me. A cell phone for my daughter, best investment I have ever made.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    We've been discussing it, and I'm thinking about giving her one at the end of the school year as a reward for a full year of honor roll. I think she's earned it and would be responsible with it (besides I've already told her if she goes over her minutes, its coming out of her allowance).
    Same with Kyler(coming out of his allowance) His grades are part of the reason that he got one. He's had a 4.0 all year, as long as he keeps that I don't mind paying the $20 a month!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think cell phones are good if they are used correctly given the fact that their main purposes were to be used in emergency situations.

Did you hear about the company who will be releasing cell phones and services that will let parents know when their children enters into areas where registered sex offenders are known to be living? It is a step in the right direction technology wise. But the flaw is that it doesn't detect if the sex offender is at a shopping mall, McDonalds, etc....It only detects where they live and sends a call out to the parents when their children are in those areas.

• I am a Pluto lover

My son is 16 and I love that he has a cell phone. I can get hold of him anytime. I have signed up on MetroPCS so his bill is the same every month and there is no way to go over in minutes. Its also clears my home phone line because my son is worse than a girl when it comes to talking on the phone. But he does have to be off the phone at 10 on school nights, it has to be off and out of his room.

In todays world, safe neighborhood or not, I think the cell phones are important. Yes, the park is just up the street, but who else is at that park? Yes, they are just riding around the block, but what if they fall and god forbid, sprain/break something? Yes, they are at a friends house spending the night, but what if they want to go home? A good example, my nephew spent the night at a friends house, (he is 16) the parents went out and the other kids pulled out a joint. My nephew, who knew better, went into the bathroom and texted my sister. My sister was able to go get him without the other kids knowing he wanted to leave. That way, they couldnt toture him for not wanting to stay. She was also able to call the parents and send them home early.

So I say yes... cell phones and kids are good.
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney is coming out with a traceable cel phone for kids:

www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23437

• My cuties!

Cell phones and kids are good if the parents realize that just because your kid has a phone doesn't mean they are safe. Locally a 14 year old was murdered; she had a cell phone but wasn't answering it when her grandmother was trying to track her down.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I wish my had a cell phone, my mom refuses to get me one because she says it's too expensive .

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I am only 15...I got a cell phone on my 14th birthday....but I really like having a phone. It is such a great thing to have. I am in drama and It is always hectic because of the time schedules. It is so easy to call my parents up and go "Hey I am heading to starbucks, Be back @ the school in 10" Also is helps take away alot of the worry from my parents knowing they can call me wondering where I am @

• no flash photography...

I love my daughter having one, but I was going to get her a pay as you go phone. My mother decided to add her to her phone bill. After two bills each over $1500.00 my daughter now has controls on her phone. (text messaging can be expensive.) I told my mother not to get her a phone, but my mother kows best....or at least she means well....most of the time....so, overall I like the idea, but it has some drawbacks....

I love the "but I didn't have signal...."

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I was very against getting my 11 year old a cell phone, but we ended up getting her one for Christmas. She has demonstrated remarkable responsibility with it. She doesn't use it to chat with friends, just to keep in touch with family. She hasn't lost or broke it yet.

I wasn't really sure why a 6th grader needed a cell phone, and I'm still not convinced it's a neccessity, but so far it's worked out very well.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Both of my teenage boys have one. When they were at the same school they shared, but now they aren't together.... Anyway, I always swore that my kids would never have a cell phone. But, I too am a convert. My boys both answer whenever I call. I today's busy world, with all of us running every which way, it is great to stay connected. I can keep tabs on them, etc. Neither of them have ever gone over their minutes, and they have had them for quite a while. They also know that text messaging is just not allowed. the few incoming ones haven't broken the bank yet.... I would say definitely a high schooler needs one, especially with clubs, sports and other activities.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

My daughter is currently "the ONLY" 7th grader at her school without a cell phone. My POOR UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILD!! We've told her she won't be getting one until she is 18 and has a job, but we'll probably break down by the time she hits high school and starts babysitting. She came home in tears about a month ago because all of her friends were comparing ring tones....and she had no phone.

MY POOR BABY!!

Am I mean, or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast