• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Do You Remember: The Petroleum Edition

As the 3-dollar gallon of gasoline now becomes more and more of a memory ($4.00 by this summer I'll bet, OUCH...)

I just thought I'd start this thread about certain gasoline-related things that I remember. Many of you will be too young to remember these..but these things actually are a part of our relatively recent history...and I remind you that these are the remembrances of growing up in car-crazy Southern California...

In the 1960's...I remember gasoline being about 25-35 cents per gallon.

At many intersections, there were stations on all four corners.

These were actual "service" stations, where it was expected that somene would pump your gas, do your windshield, check your oil and tires - all for no extra cost. Even in 1985, the "Back To The Future" scene (from 1955) where three "men from Texaco" ran out to a car that pulled in, got a big laugh...

Getting your tank filled involved someone in a nice, clean uniform coming up to you while you sat in your car...Not having to get out, stick a plastic card in a machine, wander inside past all the corn dogs and big gulps to wait in a line so that you could come back and do it all over again to get your change, or putting your money in a tray to give to someone in a cage.

At those stations on all four corners, I remember seeing big signs saying "gas war"...and it had nothing to do with Iraq - it had to do with selling gas two cents cheaper than the guy across the street.

They gave away everything from dolls to drinking glasses to encylopedias to steak knives to get your business. They wouldn't dare give away knives at gas stations today...

They held contests where you could win hundreds if not thousands of dollars...

(More to come)...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Do You Remember: The Petroleum Edition

By the early 1970's, I can recall that the cost of gas had nosed up to about...35 cents a gallon.

They still kept up with the giveaways and contests ands such until...the shock of the fall 1973 "energy crisis"...so-called, anyway, when the price of oil shot up...and gasoline shot up to abot 60 cents a gallon, overnight...I don't recall if it was a direct result of the Yom Kippur war that year, but we were told that we were being held hostage by the Arab oil cartel OPEC...anyway, this is a "remember" thread, not a debate lounge thread so...

I remember three-hour long lines for gasoline and odd-even license plate gas rationing

I remember debating which would hit $1.00 first - a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas.

I remember President Nixon and others telling us, 33 years ago, that we had to stop our dependence on foreign oil and developn other resources...

After 1973, I don't recall getting any dolls or steak knives, or encyclopedias...

From 1973 through 1979, gasoline remained at about 50 to 70 cents per gallon...

And then came 1979, and the Iran situation...and another embargo...dartboards with the Ayatollah's face...and gasoline hitting the $1 mark for the first time.

Again, three hour long lines...again, the odd-even license plate number rationing...which meant if your license plate ended in an even number, you got gas one day, and an odd-numbered one the next, et cetera.

By then , a lot of those four stations at every intersection...had closed.

And there were very few stations open on Sunday, so that meant if things fell just wrong, you might have to go four days without being able to get gas.

A big problem for many who had taken part in the huge suburban sprawl of So-Cal.

There are some memories to get things started here...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks for the interesting trivia, Barry. Without turning this into a debate, I think the 70s oil crisis (which was before my time) and our current situation have enough similarities to make me wonder how cyclical such problems are Is it a supply issue, a refinieries issue, or an unchecked power issue that's driving prices right now? Again, not trying to start a debate, but I do feel we live in very interesting times.
    Last edited by fastpassmountain; 04-22-2006 at 09:51 AM. Reason: punctuation

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I remember the long lines and the odd/even thing. I actually considered getting a new license plate for my car. Vanity plates without any numbers were considered odd. I was going to get a plate that said "Even" and hope the attendents would get confused!

I still collect glassware and china that was given as premium by the Blakely Oil Company in Arizona in the 50s and 60s.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• See you there!

Well, I guess I remember back further than others, because I remember "Gas Wars" where the price of gas was only 14 cents. That was just the taxes back then.

Ah for another "Gas War" like that, instead if the "gas wars" we're having today.

I also remember going to the "Service Station" and holding up a fifty-cent piece to get gas, and 50 cents worth was enough to get you somewhere. But for $2.00 I could drive all week. Even in the mid to late 70's I could fill up for $8.00.

Oh yeah, How about going to a Service Station, only 2 grades of gasoline... Regular and Ethyl?

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 04-22-2006 at 01:09 PM.

• Huh?

When I started driving, gas was more than half of what it is now. By the time I got my first car, I was filling up by 15 gallon tank for 15 dollars.

Gas is still below $3 at the low grade here (but not by much).
    -Tim

• And, THEN she said...

I remember the 70's odd/even plate days and the looong lines..and my mom collecting glasses and my dolls of the world promotion from Texaco i think it was..when you got the last doll, you got the big paper case with the inserts to put the dolls in..I think my sister still has my dolls in her china hutch.

and i still remember the one thing she got..it was a tonka like truck but it was a replica of a red n white Texaco gas truck..that thing was tuff.. the only thing i remember being wrong with it after years and years of kids playing with it was the windshield finally got broken out of it. after years and years of my mom and dad stubbing their toes on it, I think it finally got banished to the garage rafters along with the x-mas ornaments and my easy bake oven.

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

In the early 70's, my dad won $50 in a gas station contest, and I still have some of the collectible LA Rams glasses that we got also. I remember when "unleaded" arrived, and I was driving my mom's old 1967 Lincoln Continental in '79 during that gas crisis. I went to a gas station, waited in line for an hour, then when I got to the pump, I realized that my car's gas tank was on the opposite side from the pump, and I couldn't make it reach, even though I remember the hoses being longer back then.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I remember getting stuff from gas stations. I don't remember a lot of what it was, but I remember sometime in the 60's I got an big inflatable brontosaurus from a station called... what was it? Sinclair? Their logo was a dinosaur (duh) and after the bronto I got an inflatable T-rex. Later, in the 70's the Conoco station gave away little booklets, the Dell pocket books I think they were called. I still have a couple of them stashed in a drawer somewhere.

I remember when I was a teenager filling up my moms car for around 35 cents a gallon, and it was after I was married that the odd/even stuff started. I remember one time pulling up to a gas station and they had both "Today is odd" and "Today is even" signs up.

I guess they were as confused as everyone else.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember when $10 would fill the tank up in the early 90's.

I'm starting to think I might need a 2nd job just to keep my car gassed up! This is getting beyond ridiculous.

Once the shrub is out of office maybe things will start getting better.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

In the early 2000s I got a cheapo Christmas ornament from 7-11! They gave something out almost every year. Not quite steak knives or glasses but something.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Thanks for the interesting trivia, Barry. Without turning this into a debate, I think the 70s oil crisis (which was before my time) and our current situation have enough similarities to make me wonder how cyclical such problems are Is it a supply issue, a refinieries issue, or an unchecked power issue that's driving prices right now? Again, not trying to start a debate, but I do feel we live in very interesting times.
    I have head something about the switch from MTBE to ethanol as a gas additive is alos helping drive up prices. I found that thought to be interesting.

• Feel the breeze!

Oh yes.

Late '02-early '03, Newport News, VA. Gas $0.99/gallon.

The 7-11 ornament give-away doesn't ring a bell with me. I'd hate to see gas stations handing out steak knives! If prices continue the way they are this Xmas season they might have to do give away bread at the pumps as people are barely going to be able to afford to eat after paying $$$ for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    In the early 2000s I got a cheapo Christmas ornament from 7-11! They gave something out almost every year. Not quite steak knives or glasses but something.