Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Car Chases - the ghoulish entertainment

A co-worker just said "Oh Fishbulb did you see that car chase with that Hummer police car and they stopped him and shot up the car? You could see the bullets and glass flying everywhere." "No," I said "I don't watch car chases. They are sickening to me. I don't want to give an idiot in a runaway car my attention."

Is anyone else here on MC as digusted as I am with America's sick fascination with car chases on the news and the way networks glom onto them like a ratings magnet? It's truly ghoulish. I mean who wants to see the inevetable demise of a frenzied, panicked criminal. And really, what does the criminal think is going to happen in thier attempt to flee? Where are they gonna go? The Ocean? Mexico? Canada?

Again, Stupid makes me angry.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Car Chases - the ghoulish entertainment

When I lived in Cali, they played car chase footage non-stop and I got bored of it. But since I moved out of state, I rarely see any televised car chases. But yes, I hate seing people die regardless if they are victims or suspect, but I am still fed up with them too.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Nope I am entranced by them, and I caught the end of that one yesterday (after the chase was over and they were stopped).

Of course a lot of the appeal is the idiot newscasters try to say all this speculation or saying obvious stuff and they guy in the helicopter doing all he can to not tell them how stupid they are.

I do hope that it would cause some people to NOT do them but... I doubt it does.

what I WISH would happen was that the guy who gave chase would be fined X amount - how much it cost in extra poilce force, in distracting them from other crimes, in the inconvience to other motorists, etc... Something to maybe ??? try to deter these things.

I do think that part of the reason to show tem on TV is to warn people in the area and also so people at home can wan people they know who might be traveling those roads ???

*2 cents*
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I get sucked in to watching them every once in a while but they do bore me after a while. There was one chash I remember still after years...this guy in a teal looking GM pickup truck driving around in LA, got out of the truck near LAX and he eventually carjacked a van with a man still in it. But what irks me to no end is that the LAPD and HWY Patrol just chase him. I've seen a couple of specials on tv where they show policemen from places other than in LA STOPPING the idiots who think they can get away. And I agree...they're on way too much...dang news channels don't have to show them 24/7.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    remember still after years...this guy in a teal looking GM pickup truck driving around in LA, got out of the truck near LAX and he eventually carjacked a van with a man still in it.
    They still keep playing that one on shows like Worlds Wildest Police Videos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    They still keep playing that one on shows like Worlds Wildest Police Videos, etc.
    How could they not!? That man was a lunatic! Didn't a woman (think it was his mama) run out to the truck to stop him when he drove by and she ended up falling out of the truck and landing in the middle of the street. Crazy people!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    How could they not!? That man was a lunatic! Didn't a woman (think it was his mama) run out to the truck to stop him when he drove by and she ended up falling out of the truck and landing in the middle of the street. Crazy people!
    Yes she did. It was the guys sister from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Yes she did. It was the guys sister from what I heard.
    Ahh...close enough! It's all relative! Okay...back to the topic people...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I kinda do admit that I want to see a Car Chase in person, but then at the same time, the other half of me is saying no I don't. I can see why Fish is not to interested in car chases though. When I lived in California I always questioned when enough is enough when it came down to the media and car chases.

• Mexihick, y'all

I saw one in person. A mentally disturbed guy here in San Diego "commandeered" a bus, and just went round and round in the same circle, for like an hour or so. It was fun!

• Life is Great!

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    I saw one in person. A mentally disturbed guy here in San Diego "commandeered" a bus, and just went round and round in the same circle, for like an hour or so. It was fun!
    i remember that one, there was also one here(san diego) that the idiots who were being chased hit a car and killed a woman, that pissed me off. but the best one here was the dude who took the tank. glad i didnt see that in person, scary!
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• That Guy

I am down for a good car chase. For the same reason people watch motor sports, good crashes are fun to watch. I am probably extra warped, I have been an EMT for over ten years, so I am no stranger to car accidents, etc. I HATE when innocent people get hurt, etc. but I'm all for a jackass taking himself out if it doesn't involve anyone else.

Here in Phx, the police will not give chase. We just use a bunch of Air Units, who will follow the bad guy from the sky and radio ground units where the bad guy is at. It was reduced accidents greatly.

The BEST chase I ever saw, was an online video clip, where this car was racing away from the Police, and eventually he got into a traffic jam. All of a sudden, the TV copter camera shows these four guys who were walking down the street, look back, see there is a chase, and pull out guns and point them at the bad guy. They hauled his *** out of the car at gun point. The bad guy had bad luck and drove right up to four FBI agents who were walking back to the office after lunch. It was sweet!

• Wants to Wear the Bat Hat

Bouncing Between Eastern and Western Washington State

I have a love/hate relationship with car chases
    Yes I have watched them before... but do I like when people get hurt... not really
    I usually sit at the edge of the seat hoping that nothing bad happens and that it gets resolved soon enough
    They're very rarely on up here but every once and a while they seem to show up on the cable news networks
    the only thing though that I feel kind of guilty about is if I watch them does that mean I'm encouraging them?
    But it is good to know when they are going on - When we we're in LA there was two that occured in one afternoon while we were driving around, and if we would have become involved in it that just would have been freaky
    WDW College Program Alumni
    May 22, 2006 to January 3, 2007 - Custodial/Adventureland Operations
    May 16, 2007 to August 10, 2007 - Custodial

August 18, 2008 to January 2, 2009 - Yet to be determined Attraction!
    Hello Everyone Go Zags!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Ever since OJ and his white Bronco hit the airwaves, people have been facinated with car chases. The ratings prove that.

We were in San Diego when the tank was stolen. We watched it live on TV in our bungalow at the Princess Resort (now called something else).

On another trip, we were staying at USH in the Sheraton, when they had a shooting at USH in the parking lot. We could either watch the action live from our rooms window, or on the TV. We did both.

And on another trip (gee, we take a lot of trips...) we watched as the OJ murders were discovered. It covered the airwaves that day.

OK...One more. Last fall during the fires, we stayed at our usual hotel in Burbank and not only saw the flames from the freeway, but also from the parking lot of our hotel. We also watched them live on the evening news.

See, we not only go south to enjoy the Parks, but for all of the other "action" as well.

Oh yeah...Did I mention the flash floods of a couple of years ago. We were driving to Santa Monica on Sunset Blvd (near Arnold's house) and Sunset Blvd was flooded out. Thankfully we were in our SUV. We just drove through it. Many others (including a Porsche and a Mercedes) tried but failed. They flooded out.

What'll be next???

Oh...I almost forgot. Concerning the OP and car chases. I experience those first-hand, so they don't bother me too much. Part of the job. And don't let anybody fool you. 9 out of 10 officers involved in those chases do them with smiles on their faces. Adrenalin is such a rush...

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

What I never understand is how these guys think they are going to "get away" from the police when there are all those helicopters following them. Just where do they think they are going?

Fluffy Club Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast