Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• That's Hawt

Re: Stinker Life Update......

Stinkerbell! You're Alive! I'm so glad your school didn't get shut down, and I know you'll have a blast homeschooling!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Hey Stink, everyone's already said it, but nice to see you around these parts again. Good news about the school.

I wish you all the luck and patience in the world with the homeschooling deal. You'll be wonderful.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    we have two kids in softball, two in soccer, one in swimming and one in gymnastics
    So while you've been gone, you had 3 more kids?
    A signature should go here.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Stinker Life Update......

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    For anyone who cares.....

I've been off the radar lately because our beloved neighborhood school was facing closure, we have two kids in softball, two in soccer, one in swimming and one in gymnastics, I've been researching middle schools for my oldest, plus I was in charge of our PTA plant sale. Spring is always crazy around here, but this has been ridiculous! It's mostly fun stuff with the kids, but the school stuff has been stressful.

Well.....as of last night, our school has been taken off the closure list. I've been to tons of meetings, reading and writing a billion emails, writing letters, and doing what I could to make it happen. Also, checking out homes in other neighborhoods (and the burbs!) and figuring out what the HECK we'd do if the school closed! Anyway, the school dodged a major bullet (and now we had to withstand the scorn of parents from other closed schools--ouch!), and Chloe will be going to afternoon kinder there next year.

Courtney will be going to the middle school two blocks behind our house. We found out that the school's best teacher will be "looping" with some of the sixth graders this fall, which means Courtney would have him for two years....huge for us. Sixth and seventh grade can be hard enough....at least we know we'll have a topnotch block teacher two years straight. And it sounds like many of the kids from her elementary school are requesting the same for her kids, so she won't have to start all over again meeting kids. She also wants to join the concert choir and cadet band, and I met the teacher who OFFERED the use of a drum kit all summer. My little drummer girl is so excited!!

And my eight year old.....I've made the decision to home school her for third grade. I'd love to hear from other home schooling parents! Cassidy is so excited! I'm nervous about doing her justice, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Here I've worked so hard to keep her school open, and I'm yanking her. The grade above hers is tiny, so this year they squashed the grades together and re-assigned a teacher, so Cass's class size has hovered near 30 all year. The other classes have 30-31, so I can't move her. The other grades have 24ish students in each class (kinder has 14 in one class and 17 in the other). She's so easily distracted and not doing well writing that it's affecting how she feels about school. And third grade sucks--lots of projects, huge units on Portland history (who cares about Portland's history!), and tons of homework. If the class size remains the same, she won't flourish.

So we'll work on the basics at home (she reads at the sixth grade level, loves math, but struggles with writing) and she can choose her own projects--she looooves science. We'll get tons of time together and I won't constantly be coaxing her out the door in the mornings. She'll see her friends after school everyday when we pick up Chloe and stay in her Spanish group after school once a week, plus all her girl friends play sports with her.....

Basically, we have some fun things happening, but it's been crazy and stressful, too. I miss MiceChat! I'm hoping now that I won't have to be dealing with a quillion emails regarding school closure and that my research is done on schools and moving that I can hang here a little more!

Also...I had my third chest x-ray done on Friday and I don't have pneumonia (been going around here the last few months) officially, and no strep in my sinuses, and my sinuses are finally clear for the first time in more than two months. I've been going to bed most nights at nine lately....oy. Never enough time in the day!! Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Anyway, a big to my MiceChat friends!!

--Claire

Hello Claire! Welcome back-We missed you! So glad you are feeling better. And congratulations on taking the step to better educate your 8 year-old daughter!

Big hugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12