Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Man O Lantern

Stinker Life Update......

For anyone who cares.....

I've been off the radar lately because our beloved neighborhood school was facing closure, we have two kids in softball, two in soccer, one in swimming and one in gymnastics, I've been researching middle schools for my oldest, plus I was in charge of our PTA plant sale. Spring is always crazy around here, but this has been ridiculous! It's mostly fun stuff with the kids, but the school stuff has been stressful.

Well.....as of last night, our school has been taken off the closure list. I've been to tons of meetings, reading and writing a billion emails, writing letters, and doing what I could to make it happen. Also, checking out homes in other neighborhoods (and the burbs!) and figuring out what the HECK we'd do if the school closed! Anyway, the school dodged a major bullet (and now we had to withstand the scorn of parents from other closed schools--ouch!), and Chloe will be going to afternoon kinder there next year.

Courtney will be going to the middle school two blocks behind our house. We found out that the school's best teacher will be "looping" with some of the sixth graders this fall, which means Courtney would have him for two years....huge for us. Sixth and seventh grade can be hard enough....at least we know we'll have a topnotch block teacher two years straight. And it sounds like many of the kids from her elementary school are requesting the same for her kids, so she won't have to start all over again meeting kids. She also wants to join the concert choir and cadet band, and I met the teacher who OFFERED the use of a drum kit all summer. My little drummer girl is so excited!!

And my eight year old.....I've made the decision to home school her for third grade. I'd love to hear from other home schooling parents! Cassidy is so excited! I'm nervous about doing her justice, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Here I've worked so hard to keep her school open, and I'm yanking her. The grade above hers is tiny, so this year they squashed the grades together and re-assigned a teacher, so Cass's class size has hovered near 30 all year. The other classes have 30-31, so I can't move her. The other grades have 24ish students in each class (kinder has 14 in one class and 17 in the other). She's so easily distracted and not doing well writing that it's affecting how she feels about school. And third grade sucks--lots of projects, huge units on Portland history (who cares about Portland's history!), and tons of homework. If the class size remains the same, she won't flourish.

So we'll work on the basics at home (she reads at the sixth grade level, loves math, but struggles with writing) and she can choose her own projects--she looooves science. We'll get tons of time together and I won't constantly be coaxing her out the door in the mornings. She'll see her friends after school everyday when we pick up Chloe and stay in her Spanish group after school once a week, plus all her girl friends play sports with her.....

Basically, we have some fun things happening, but it's been crazy and stressful, too. I miss MiceChat! I'm hoping now that I won't have to be dealing with a quillion emails regarding school closure and that my research is done on schools and moving that I can hang here a little more!

Also...I had my third chest x-ray done on Friday and I don't have pneumonia (been going around here the last few months) officially, and no strep in my sinuses, and my sinuses are finally clear for the first time in more than two months. I've been going to bed most nights at nine lately....oy. Never enough time in the day!! Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Anyway, a big to my MiceChat friends!!

--Claire

• Happy Memories

Re: Stinker Life Update......

Right back at ya StinkerMIAbell!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update Stink! Great to hear about the school. I am sure that is a real relief to you!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Stinkerbell, Stinkerbell..sounds familar but I can't seem to place it

Glad to hear about the school! That's great! Next year should be an adventure for you and Cassidy! Think of all the fun field trips you can do together! Miss ya

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Think of all the fun field trips you can do together! Miss ya
    Well, it's Cassidy, so we won't be at Sephora. But you'll probably find me in a forest looking for rare molds, or picking up litter, or digging through owl poop....and I'm um, sure that's fun stuff, too.

• For You!

Wow - good luck with the homeschooling - you're a better woman than I!!!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

awww, Stink, we miss ya around here!! but i'm SO glad your perserverance paid off and the school isn't closing!! and hooray for getting a great teacher for two years!! i've experienced crappy-a$$ teachers before and nothing can quite bring you down or discourage you as a kid as those lame-o's. good luck with the homeschooling!! but this had better mean that she gets daily lessons on iternet use and forum-posting exercise....(or at least her teacher should!! )

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Stinkerwho? Hmmmmmm, I'll have to search my memory banks for this one

• Again! Again! Again!

I think I know who this is. Is that her in her avatar?

Glad your school isn't closing! Hope things will finally slow down so you can come and play! We miss you!!! Did you ever get the stuff I sent you??
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

That's awesome about the school!

Best of luck to you on the homeschooling thing I would SO never....*shudder*

I school
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

Welcome to Micechat Stinkerbell! It's so nice to have new members!

What?

Your an old member?

Hmmm...

Miss you...love you...kiss kiss...let's do lunch!

That's awesome Claire! I'm so excited for you and Cassidy. I'm sure she's excited too!!! I know you'll love the extra Mommie time with her!! Wow!! Big change!

And glad that you are FINALLY getting well!!!!!!!!

Kat has been sick all week...and they thought she might have pneumonia...all I thought was "OH NO! Just like Claire!"

Come back to us when you can....you know we miss you!!!!
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Howdy there, Claire. We really, really miss you around here. I just said that the other day, actually.

Sounds like things are never slowing down there! Good luck with it all.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• My cuties!

It's so good to hear from you! Thanks for the update!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by All Aglow
    Howdy there, Claire. We really, really miss you around here. I just said that the other day, actually.

Sounds like things are never slowing down there! Good luck with it all.
    She's so lying! she was like Gawd it's so nice without Claire here
    Then she adjusted her scrunchie

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    She's so lying! she was like Gawd it's so nice without Claire here
    Then she adjusted her scrunchie
    You said you'd never tell her!

Now I'm going to have to tell her about you bawling all over your phone at me telling me about your bedazzled, glittery, pink fanny pack strap breaking!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast