• I'm your huckleberry.

Question VoIP, Vonage, etc.

Do any of you use VoIP services for your main phone lines at home? Can you provide me with some insights on the pros and cons of Vonage and other services similar to it?

I'm looking for Verizon alternatives, and Vonage seems to be a pretty good deal. I haven't studied up on it sufficiently yet, and thought some of you more tech-savvy MiceChatters could give me some first hand information.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Re: VoIP, Vonage, etc.

Here's what I've read from a well-respected individual:

I've heard that Vonage seems like a GREAT option... $24.99 a month and it includes EVERYTHING... voice mail, three way calling, call waiting, caller ID, unlimited long distance... That's less than half of what you would pay with Verizon. I mean just a standard phone line, no extras with Verizon is $27! I think its the way to go!

Anyone have any personal experiences with this service? We have Swissvoice VoIP phones at work and experience a lot of echoes. Is that common for the one line retail versions?
    Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    Do any of you use VoIP services for your main phone lines at home? Can you provide me with some insights on the pros and cons of Vonage and other services similar to it?

I'm looking for Verizon alternatives, and Vonage seems to be a pretty good deal. I haven't studied up on it sufficiently yet, and thought some of you more tech-savvy MiceChatters could give me some first hand information.

Thanks!!!

While we use our cells for our primary phone service, we also have vonage (former verizon customers).

We love it....very reliable and economical.

The only problem that we had at first was the original phone number that they assigned us must have been used by like 50 other people/businesses before we got it so we got endless wrong numbers looking for several other people.

We called vonage and got a new number....no more problems.
    Randy - 41
    DW - Chris
    DS - Alex, 8
    DD - Reagan, 2

Oct 06 - 1st Trip
    May 07 - DS BDay

The people who say they'd rather kill themselves
    than use a wheelchair like me...Should !

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by wedoada
    While we use our cells for our primary phone service, we also have vonage (former verizon customers).

We love it....very reliable and economical.

The only problem that we had at first was the original phone number that they assigned us must have been used by like 50 other people/businesses before we got it so we got endless wrong numbers looking for several other people.

We called vonage and got a new number....no more problems.
    Good to know! It sounds like they have good customer service.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• /sigh

Sounds like a good deal.....but do they provide dsl?
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

no...you have to have a broadband connection to use their services, We had verizon but switched to cable and access vonage through that.
    Randy - 41
    DW - Chris
    DS - Alex, 8
    DD - Reagan, 2

Oct 06 - 1st Trip
    May 07 - DS BDay

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Anyone have any personal experiences with this service? We have Swissvoice VoIP phones at work and experience a lot of echoes. Is that common for the one line retail versions?
    Our school district uses VoiP phones from Cisco, and they work just fine. (And my voice mail shows up as email attachments.)
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• My cuties!

We have Callvantage through AT&T and love it! It's about $33/mo with all the taxes. Calls to Australia are only 5 cents a minute. Only problem is that if the power or cable are out, we have no phone.

• Plotting world domination

The Doctor is In !!! I have to agree with Twinmom, if your power goes out you don't have a phone. This also can happen with cell phones. I am sticking with regular phone service. Never have had a problem with it.

Till My Next Missive, I Remain The Humble Yet Strangly Evil Doctor !!!

• Banned User

Also, their 911 service is different... (or so i keep reading in the fine print on the commercials after seeing them for the 1-billionth time.. lol love the vonage commercials though.. genious)

I just stick with whoever you want..... (best to stay safe though in some areas prone to power outs in summer time.. lol)

Actually the difference with using 911 is only a concern if you load the vonage telephone interface into your laptop and then dail 911 using that interface when you are away from home. The address information would be your home address and would therefore not match a different address while travelling.

Losing power is a problem much like with a cordless phone.

RandyW
    Randy - 41
    DW - Chris
    DS - Alex, 8
    DD - Reagan, 2

Oct 06 - 1st Trip
    May 07 - DS BDay

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fu-Manchu
    I am sticking with regular phone service. Never have had a problem with it.
    I've never had a problem with regular phone service either. I just have a problem paying $75 a month for service I can get through Vonage for $25. That and I can't stand Verizon's customer service.

I'm not so worried about the power outage issues. I mean, I can count on one hand how many times I've had a power outage at my house. Besides... that's what cell phones are for, right?

I think my main concerns are:

How is the sound quality? As FPM mentioned, there are some who experience an echo... is that mainly on business multi-lines or does it happen with residential phones as well?

What affect does VoIP have on your computer bandwidth? Will I notice a big slow down on my computer download times?

How reliable is it? Does the service go out for unexplainable reasons? Are there a lot of dropped calls?

• My cuties!

Good questions! The sound quality is fine. I haven't noticed any difference with our bandwidth so slowing down downloads. We have been very fortunate in the 18 mos we've had it -- maybe 2 or 3 times it has been out and then for only a few hours at the most. Never had any dropped calls that I'm aware of.

My parents had the same service and ended up canceling it because it kept going out for them. They had several techs come out to see what was going on and no one could figure it out. I think it was something with the router or lines coming into their house.

We had Qwest previously and were sick of paying $22+ for a $12.50/mo charge. The taxes were outrageous! Virtually no taxes with AT&T.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

We used to have Vonage at work. We hated it. There was a 2 second delay on all the calls (very annoying when you're trying to deal with clients) and we just had nothing but problems with them.

• Lifelong Disneylander

Smile Re: VoIP, Vonage, etc.

Hello!

Well, from personal experience, I have switched to Vonage from my regular long distance company and have experienced NO problems from their service and have saved a lot of money using their system. No, I'm not affiliated with this company and I have no family members or friends who are paying me for this (although I sometimes wished I did have someone there). But, Vonage has been a great deal for me and I will continue to use them if only because they have provided a VERY economic alternative to regular long distance service. Just my 2 cents worth! Cheers!