Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I am a Pluto lover

Im Being Ripped Off

ok.. I need to vent...

so back in Feb, my son rode his bike to the mall. He ended up calling me collect because someone tried to steal his bike and they messed up the lock. I told him to have a security guard try. He did and called me collect again, (at the time, his cell phone had been stolen and I was waiting for pay day to replace it) to tell me that he couldnt do it either. I told him I would be there but before I could leave he called back one more time to say he got the lock off and would ride home.

So we got the bike and all was well. I had forgotten all about this incident until Mothers day when his pride and joy bike did get stolen. From the library of all places. He and I were remembering that day, talking about what kind of lock we need to get next time.

Well today, I get my mail and in it is a bill I have never seen before. I open it up and it is a bill for those collect calls. It didnt show up on my regular bill and I had forgotten all about them. This bill listed 3 collect calls, claimed they were 4 minutes each and each one was billed at.... get this.. $25.44. PER CALL! This bill is $85.00! I almost hypervenilated! What a flipping rip off! I cant believe this!

When I called the company to explain why the calls were made they said "Thats the price, there is nothing we can do" I cant believe this!

Now I have to find a way to buy him a new bike and pay this bill. I told them I would make payments and got an address to send complaints to but what good would that really do? I thought about not paying it, they dont have my social to report me but then thats just as wrong as they are.

My son says he will wait until after our vacation next month to worry about a new bike but I still feel so bad for him. He is a total BMX kid and I know this is hard on him, and now with this bill...

Thanks for listening...
    Mellymouse

(do you think the Finding Nemo Subs line will be under 3 hours by then?)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Im Being Ripped Off

You know that is what I hate about big companies these days too, they rip you off for no reason. I know not to use collect now cause THEY collect, we receive.................the bill .

Sorry about your sons bike by the way.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

people are just so stupid....Stealing is even more stupid......why don't they save their money to get a bike......the way it was purchased in the first place...and Also ...I wonder if the cell was stolen by the same person as the bike was stolen by

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

File a complaint with the state PUC and FCC. The issue will be forwarded to an escalations team at your carrier who will most likely make a good faith offer to you.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I am a Pluto lover

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    File a complaint with the state PUC and FCC. The issue will be forwarded to an escalations team at your carrier who will most likely make a good faith offer to you.
    Thanks Dusty...Ive been trying to think of places to complain, its not AT&T though, apparently it is the pay phone company.
    Mellymouse

• I am a Pluto lover

We know who took his phone, we couldnt prove it though. He spent the night at his friends house and that is where it disappeared from. His friends older brother had some friends over and we think one of them took it.

The bike is unknown. They got away with 2 Haro BMX bikes. My sons and his friends. We drove the neighborhood looking but no luck. We filed a police report but Im sure the bikes have been painted or parted out by now. They are about $300.00 each. A very popular brand so the parts would go fast.

I wonder about the parents though... wouldnt you question your kid if they can home with some strange bike? I know I would.
    Mellymouse

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by MellyMouse
    I wonder about the parents though... wouldnt you question your kid if they can home with some strange bike? I know I would.

Yeah, well, that is the first problem...

The parents (or parent) probably don't care what the kid does, as long as he/she isn't bothered.

It DOES start at home...

• I am a Pluto lover

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Yeah, well, that is the first problem...

The parents (or parent) probably don't care what the kid does, as long as he/she isn't bothered.

It DOES start at home...
    I suppose you are right. When my son came home with an ipod I questioned him. He said a friend gave it to him because he had bought a Nano (I think thats what he called it) anyway, I called the kids parent to make sure this was on the up and up. The mom acted like I was bothering her. If I spent a lot of money on something for my kid, Id want to know why he felt he could just give it away. The mom didnt care at all. It must be nice to just spend money like that and not care.
    Mellymouse

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

We know who took his phone, we couldnt prove it though. He spent the night at his friends house and that is where it disappeared from. His friends older brother had some friends over and we think one of them took it.

The bike is unknown. They got away with 2 Haro BMX bikes. My sons and his friends. We drove the neighborhood looking but no luck. We filed a police report but Im sure the bikes have been painted or parted out by now. They are about $300.00 each. A very popular brand so the parts would go fast.

If I saw them with the bike I would question them. For many kids it is easy for them to sneak stuff past their parents without them noticing. Then if they question the kids all they would get is excuses, excuses.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I'm sorry to hear about your son's bike.

About the big companies...ugh...on that. Gas companies, utility companies...even the banks sometimes, it just feels like they are all taking advantage of us

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Well like I said, companies such as 1-800-COLLECT do tell the truth. You dial a number with their service, they "Collect". It is more cheaper to call people without these types of phone services than it is to call with them.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

It's not just kids, though. I called the cops on a man I saw riding a bike carrying a bike with only one wheel. Mind you this was 2 in the afternoon, broad daylight! Turns out he had a garage full of stolen bikes and parts.

You should report the phone company to the BBB as well as well as the PUC and FCC.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• That Guy

I'm so sorry to hear about the stolen bikes, that is terrible.

What kind of lock was securing the bike? A 'U' lock or a cable? The 'U' locks can be defeated with a ballpoint pen and the cable locks can be cut super easily with a utility scissors.

How old is your son? Is it possible for him to work over the summer to help himself get a new bike? That would really be cool because then it would help teach him about money, working hard, staying in school so he doesn't have to work super hard, etc.

Best of luck!

• Banned User

I am so sorry this happened to you, I can not imagine a call costing that much. I hope you can get it all straightened out hon !
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 05-21-2006 at 04:57 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Melly - If this was YOUR phone company that charged you that rediculous amount, put your complaint in writing and let them know you are switching your service today and sharing with all of your friends the fact that they are ripping people off and all of them are dropping their service too.

WHO did your son go through to make these calls? If it's a collect call, wouldn't that go through your own phone comany? Unless this is some fly by night operation based in Thailand, I would put it in writing and send it to everyone, starting with your congressman. (Don't laugh. My Father in law did that recently and was reimbursed by the company within the month.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast