• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

State Supreme Court reinstates exit exam for '06 ContraCostaTimes/MercuryNews 5/24/06

State Supreme Court reinstates exit exam for '06

By Shirley Dang

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

The state Supreme Court reinstated the high school exit exam as a graduation requirement this year, reversing a lower court's decision and dashing the hopes of thousands of high school seniors who last week had expected to earn a diploma.
    Click here for more:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14650224.htm

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: State Supreme Court reinstates exit exam for '06 ContraCostaTimes/MercuryNews 5/24/06

Whoops meant to put this in the Debate Lounge. Oh well.

Your opinions?

• HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DMCA!

Re: State Supreme Court reinstates exit exam for '06 ContraCostaTimes/MercuryNews 5/24/06

I think this is great news. My son is graduating this year and took the exit exam when he was a sophomore to be sure they were all passing. I felt like it was a slap in the face to the kids that took the exam and passed. Especially the ones that spent alot of time studying for it. Some schools here had classes over weekends to help kids study. It was like they said, "hey, it doesn't matter now". Its time they quit "passing" kids because its easier than failing them.

just my 2 cents.

It's always me

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Cinderbella you speak my mind COMPLETELY!!

I told my dad a while back that allowing kids to pass for reasons other than having special needs, is a slap in the face to those who really work hard.

I think that the only people who should have special exemptions from exit exams are special needs kids.

• I'm your huckleberry.

This is great news! 90% of students are passing this test anyway.... I'm not going to worry over the 10% who can't live up to 8th grade expectations.

Good call from the judicial system for once!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

We say that these people trying to get a diploma for failing the exit exam is a slap in the face to others who studied hard for it, well don't forget that even though many of us have graduated, since '99, students such as myself also had to take the test. So I don't think it would be fair for people to get a diploma because they failed the exam, when former high school students such as myself had to pass it.

• Banned User

my feeling... I had to pass Fcat.. (i have a better name for use in the debate lounge.. lol) to get out of school.. all florida kids unless they were ESE and then their was a way around it after the third attempt.. or if they wanted to take a special diploma or GED...

All mstates need a test.. just dont make all teaching for this test...
    (Sr year was the best year.. since no test to worry about gave teachers more freedom..)

• A Pirate's life for me!

Not having to pass an exit exam to graduate negates any value whatsoever in getting a diploma.

I'm glad to see it reinstated. Maybe there is hope for this country after all...

• no flash photography...

woo hoo...I'm glad it's been reinstated. My daughter is studying hard for it now. I think they are having them take it as sophmores to see where they are at...

• Queen of Randomness

I wonder if they have rewritten it since 2002 when I took it. It was more or less kind of like a surprise. They didn't make us aware of it that far in advance and no one was really sure what was even going to be on it. I wasn't aware of anyone studying for it or anything. If you didn't pass it after so many times then I believe there was a class you had to take or get extra instruction.

Welcome to my blog!
    A Photographed Life
    12/28: Copperopolis, California

To clear up some misinformation in other posts:

This is the first graduating class that has been required to pass the exam in order to receive a diploma. ( It has been a requirement before but has gotten pushed back)

Students take the test for the first time in the 10th grade once, they get 2 tries as 11th graders and 3 in the 12th grade. If after all those chances they don't pass it is not the end for them and a diploma, depending on the school they can come back the next year or do adult ed or go into a community college to finish their education.

Schools should be making students aware of the test well in advanced.

This is not a surprise to this years Seniors they knew it was coming, I'm sure some of them were just hoping it would get pushed off of them. Some if them may have done better spending less time in a court room and more time studying for the exam.

Also the 10th grade administration of the test is what is used to meet Federal Accountability guidelines under No Child left Behind. Students must not only pass but score proficient in order to help their school meet the target.

More info can be found here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs/index.asp

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Re: State Supreme Court reinstates exit exam for '06 ContraCostaTimes/MercuryNews 5/2

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Not having to pass an exit exam to graduate negates any value whatsoever in getting a diploma.

I'm glad to see it reinstated. Maybe there is hope for this country after all...
    End Thread, PirateMickey Wins!