Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Gas prices?

  1. #1

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    Gas prices?

    I know people expect this post to be yet another complaint about "$3 is too much" and "I just paid $75 to fill up", but you know what, there's limited supply, there's elastic demand, there's increased demand, and we live in a capitalistic society...that's not price gouging, that's Economics 101 folks. No, what I have a problem with is people who constantly complain about the price and then do nothing about it. I have seen more pickups and SUVs on the road now than ever and traffic has actually increased. And I read that gas usage actually increased 4% in April!

    People are so quick to blame President Bush or anything besides themselves. The ironic thing is that only drivers have the power to lower the prices. It's also the sad thing because apparently we as Americans feel it is our God-granted right to be entitled to cheap gas and if we don't get it, we complain to the President and Congress who, by the way, have far more important tasks than saving people 10 cents at the pumps. And that's assuming they had any influence over the price of gas at all...all they could do is reduce taxes on gas or use oil out of our strategic reserve but both would be just a temporary measure and wouldn't stem demand.

    I admit, I am a broke college student who simply cannot afford $50 to fill up. So I now drive much slower and only go out when absolutely necessary and it's saved me TONS of money. People need to face reality and realize that the fault lies in our driving habits and choice of vehicles, not with the president or any other factor. If anything, these high prices are a blessing in disguise because they have reminded us that oil is not a renewable resource and it has a finite supply. Hopefully it will allow people to reflect on their own driving and vehicles and change for the better. Because if not, there isn't a thing that's going to help us and gas prices will just continue to climb higher.

    America is a free country and has a free market so people are certainly free to buy whichever vehicle they like. But with that kind of freedom comes responsibility. It's clear that the American automakers have responded to the demand for big inefficient vehicles, but people need to see that with freedom comes responsibility in themselves and not in the automakers (who are also facing problems from their decisions by the way). And those people who shirk that responsibility and feel they are free to drive *anything* they want without consequences, well, we now see that the consequence is a stinging reminder of economics and supply and demand.

    People seem to be very defensive about their SUV's so I'm sure I'll get blasted for this one, and for that I thank you for proving my point about some Americans feeling entitled to their grossly inefficient vehicles. It's just not necessary to get 13 MPG and have the cargo capacity to carry a couple refrigerators. The Toyota RAV4 has room for 7, gets 25 MPG and has 270 HP...not to mention the myriad of minivans out there. I encourage people to think about their own habits and preferences and to see that unless WE do something ourselves, nothing will change. Only when we remove the blinders and see that the fault lies within us will gas prices finally change.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 05-25-2006 at 06:54 AM.

  2. #2

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,487

    Re: Gas prices?

    I just wish it would cost $10 to fill the tank again.

  3. #3

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Gas prices?

    I ahve a small economy car. i HATE SUV's...always have always will. In the 70's we had large gas guzzeling cars and gas shortages. People started drivign small econky cars, btu eventually they went back to large gas guzzeling SUV's and now we are having gas issues again. Not to mention they are very dangerous ont he road. they are prone to roll overs and if they crash into my car they will probably kill em since the bumbers on a SUV is right at m,y head level for my car...oh, and I can't see around them ...and the majority of the people who drive them appear to not know how.....

    I don't really mind the higher gas prices though. Sales of the SUV's have slowed and the last time I drove hone from OC to the high desert on a saturday evening I ran into NO traffic. It was amazing. Usually I'm in stop and go for at least an hour...

  4. #4

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Gas prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    Not to mention they are very dangerous ont he road.
    To whom? They're dangerous to people who drive dinky little economy cars, but if you're in an SUV... you're pretty safe.

    Frankly I don't spend a lot of time hating or not hating different types of vehicles. I like that people have the choice to drive either an enormous SUV, or a tiny compact.

    Choices are great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  5. #5

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Gas prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    To whom? They're dangerous to people who drive dinky little economy cars, but if you're in an SUV... you're pretty safe.
    yes, they are dangerous to other cars on the road, but I guess it's ok if they kill someone else as long as the owner survives??

    They are also dangerous to themselves...they are prone to rollover, but I guess the owner can survive that as well...they may just kill others who may be in the way.....I suppose thats ok to in this ME, ME,ME world we live in....

  6. #6

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Gas prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    yes, they are dangerous to other cars on the road, but I guess it's ok if they kill someone else as long as the owner survives??

    They are also dangerous to themselves...they are prone to rollover, but I guess the owner can survive that as well...they may just kill others who may be in the way.....I suppose thats ok to in this ME, ME,ME world we live in....
    But its okay for people with smaller cars to say SUV drivers are selfish for having safer cars? That doesn't make sense. That's being all "me, me, me" and selfish as well. It does go both ways.

    I just don't understand why people get so upset over other people's choices of what to drive. There are so many more important things to get all angsty about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  7. #7

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Gas prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    But its okay for people with smaller cars to say SUV drivers are selfish for having safer cars? That doesn't make sense. That's being all "me, me, me" and selfish as well. It does go both ways.
    probably because thier choice affects others in a negative way.

    I wouldn't go so far as saying suv's are safer. It's true they are heavier, but they cause more damage to others in accidents. I also feel they are safer as long as they don't hit a smaller car or rollover. They have more of a negative effect on the environemt, but it does make me happy they are so expensive to fill up now a days. Gas keep going up.....So is your argument everyone should drive an SUV, because they are "safer"??....I don't think so.

  8. #8

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: Gas prices?

    Shoot...all I know is that my MINI is a lot safer than the ford pickup trucks (F150 I believe). I saw a comparison head on collision test with both cars going 35mph and the dummy's legs in the Ford truck were smashed and the MINI's were just fine. I'm plenty happy with my dream car more than a big SUV or truck. I see my parents everyday complaining about parking in the garage because it always looks like two big fish crammed into a tiny sardine can and my little MINI fits perfectly into the third garage even with a few feet of it taken out for a house for one of my dogs who is an outside dog. The only thing I don't like about the MINI is that I have to use at least a 91 grade gasoline which is premium. But at least I have school off now until late August so I won't be filling up my gas tank until every other week hopefully.

    MINI's rule!

  9. #9

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Gas prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    So is your argument everyone should drive an SUV, because they are "safer"??....I don't think so.
    No, where in the world did you interpret that from????

    Here is the entiretly of my point: People should be able to chose whatever vehicle they think is best for their needs and their family without being pigeonholed as either a selfish *******, or conversely a stuck up tree-hugger.

    What's the deal with trying to control other peoples choices? I've never understood the need to socially engineer everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Similar Threads

  1. When do prices go up?
    By Swice in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 11:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •