• insufferable know-it-all

Innocent: 18 years later...

Whoa... this poor guy!
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13173519/

Basically, he was convicted, and now, 18 years later, a more advanced DNA test proves he's innocent.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• That Guy

Re: Innocent: 18 years later...

Wow, that really sucks and it makes me wonder how many other guys are sitting in prison while the real guilty person runs free?

At least on the bright side this gentleman will be Connecticut's newest millionaire.

I don't know... I don't know that you're entitled to anything from the system when proved not guilty. Can you imagine if everyone the courts failed to indict sued?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • So fetch

I think he should get money from the state. He spent 18 years of his life for something he didn't do. It's not like he got off because his lawyer found some loophole. This guy was innocent.

• That Guy

Technically, you can sue anyone for any reason. Does that mean it's going to go anywhere? No, but you can.

OKLAHOMA
    Exonerated man to get $12 million settlement
    The Associated Press
    A man who spent 14 years in prison for a rape conviction before DNA evidence exonerated him will receive $12.25 million under a settlement of his lawsuit against Tulsa. . . . City officials had asked a federal judge to dismiss a $14.5 million verdict a jury awarded to Arvin McGee Jr. in March, but decided Friday to pay the lesser amount. . . . McGee, 44, was freed in 2002 after his conviction in the 1987 rape and kidnapping was overturned. He sued the city the following year, alleging his constitutional rights had been violated. . . . The settlement still must be approved by a judge.

This case is somewhat similar to the one originally mentioned by Morrigoon. It is customary that wrongul imprisionments result in HUGE settlements. Fair enough too, this guy can never get those years back.
    Last edited by Max Fischer; 06-08-2006 at 10:18 AM.

• That Guy

WISCONSIN
    Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 12 Years Graduates From UW Law School
    Former Inmate Speaks At Graduation Ceremony
    It is graduation weekend at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Friday's ceremony was extra special to one UW law school graduate. . . . Five years after the UW Innocence Project helped free Christopher Ochoa from prison, he's living a dream instead of a nightmare. . . . "Maybe it's the start of a new beginning as far as maybe I can finally start putting everything behind me," said Ochoa. . . . On Friday, Ochoa graduated from the UW Law School -- the same school that found the DNA evidence that got him released from prison in 2001. . . . Ochoa spent 12 years in prison for a rape and murder he didn't commit after confessing under the threat of the death penalty, WISC-TV reported. . . . "It's almost 10 years to the day when I had lost hope -- all hope. I know in 1996 in prison, I had really contemplated suicide because I lost all hope," said Ochoa. . . . His parents, uncle and other family members flew up from El Paso, Texas, for Ochoa's law school graduation ceremony at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison. . . . "This is the best Mother's Day gift I can get from him in 12 years since he was in prison -- (the) best!" said Ochoa's mother, Dora. "No card, no nothing -- this is the best gift I'm going to get this Mother's Day from him, and I'm very proud."

MICHIGAN
    Michigan, Wayne County to pay in wrongful murder conviction
    The Associated Press
    Authorities are finishing work on a settlement of about $4 million in a lawsuit brought by survivors of a man who spent 17 years in prison for a rape and murder he did not commit. . . . The family of Eddie Joe Lloyd would get about $2.6 million, and lawyers would get about $1.4 million, according to a proposed settlement filed last week in U.S District Court in Detroit. . . . In 2002, DNA evidence exonerated Lloyd in the 1984 rape and killing of Michelle Jackson, a 16-year-old Murray-Wright High School junior. Lloyd died in 2004 at age 56. . . . Under the proposal, Detroit would pay $3.25 million, Michigan $600,000 and Wayne County about $200,000, The Detroit News said. It said Detroit police would begin videotaping interrogations of people who could face first-degree murder charges.

VIRGINIA

$2.25 million verdict for Washington in false confession
    Jury says investigator fabricated evidence in death-row case
    By Frank Green, Times-Dispatch Staff Writer

EARL WASHINGTON, JR.

A federal jury yesterday found that a state police investigator fabricated the confession of a mildly retarded man sent to death row for a rape and murder he did not commit. . . . In a case that has had widespread repercussions for Virginia's criminal justice system, the four-man, five-woman jury awarded Earl Washington Jr. $2.25 million in damages. . . . Washington spent nine years on death row after he was wrongly convicted of the June 4, 1982, rape and murder of Rebecca Lynn Williams, 19, in Culpeper. The mother of three was stabbed 38 times. . . . Washington hugged his lawyers after hearing the jury's decision. "I feel great. I'm happy," he said, looking overwhelmed.

MASSACHUSETTS

City to pay $3.2m in wrongful conviction suit
    Record settlement follows DNA tests
    By Andrea Estes, Globe Staff
    The city of Boston has agreed to pay $3.2 million to settle a wrongful conviction suit filed by Neil Miller, who served 10 years in prison for raping a 19-year-old Emerson College student before DNA tests proved that another man committed the crime. It is believed to be the largest settlement Boston has paid in a wrongful conviction case. . . . Miller, 39, had been convicted of breaking into the woman's apartment Aug. 24, 1989, and raping her while holding a screwdriver to her neck after the woman identified him in a police lineup. He was freed May 10, 2000, after tests requested by the New York-based Innocence Project proved that his DNA didn't match that found in semen on the victim's body and bed. . . . Yesterday, Miller's lawyers, Howard Friedman and Innocence Project codirector Peter Neufeld, charged that testimony in their 2003 lawsuit shows the Boston police manipulated evidence to help prosecutors win a conviction.

Woo, glad to hear that! I thought the system had angled itself against that, but I'm glad to hear it!

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Woo, glad to hear that! I thought the system had angled itself against that, but I'm glad to hear it!
    Me too! I'm happy to hear that when this happens, most people will be awarded money so they will never worry about $$ again. It just sucks that as taxpayers, we're the ones that are paying, but what can you do?

• keep moving forward...

we heard about this in english class today, it was a big topic since i live in connecticut...everyone was talking about it