Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Football: Roethlisberger, The Steelers, and Motorcycle Helmets

I decided to post this in the MiceChat Lounge, although ulimately it might be better suited for the Debate Forum.

First of all, prayers for healing are in order for Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's website:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger exited surgery tonight for treatment of facial injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident along Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge this morning. A medical team completed work on what was described as multiple facial fractures at 9 p.m. and Roethlisberger's condition was reported to be serious, but stable, and not expected to change overnight.
    Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet, and such riding is not forbidden per se in his contract, as is the case with some other athletes. Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

Obviously I hope that Ben fully recovers, and I'm sure Steeler and other NFL fans feel the same.

I--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: Football: Roethlisberger, The Steelers, and Motorcycle Helmets

I really do hope he recovers, I truly enjoy watching him play. He is very talented. My husband has been a Steelers fan for life (I'm a Patriots fan) and was disturbed to see this.

That said, what a moron! He refuses to wear a helmet. He did interviews around this time last year about how he doesn't like to wear helmets, they always ride in groups and are very careful. Bill Cowher even lectured him about it. It's still utterly stupid! I hope he takes this as a sign and starts wearing a helmet, it's just not worth it, IMO. He could really take this as a learning experience and do lectures to kids about it.

But, as long as he can still play and enjoy his work - that's the important thing, after living, of course.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I live right outside Pittsburgh and the Post-Gazette has Ben all over it, including the front page. The story is huge here and will continue to be right up till football season starts. I wish him a speedy recovery and a change of heart as far as helmets are concerned.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Like I heard Terry Bradshaw say when interviewed yesterday, Ben should put the bike away until his career in football is over, THEN he can ride to his little hearts content, helmet or no. Why jeopardize your career with something like this?

But, Bens a kid. He's 24, he's the QB of a pro football team with money coming out his ying yang. I'm sure he's got that "I'm invincible and nothing can touch me" thing going on, as a lot of 24 year olds have. Maybe he'll think a little differently now.

• Mexihick, y'all

What a moron. I pray for a full recovery, but c'mon. You're making MILLIONS playing football...protect your body at all times! Wear a helmet! And maybe, just maybe, not ride the FASTEST road bike that they make!

• For You!

I really hope he recovers - it sounds like he's going to be in a lot of pain lately. I refuse to let my husband get a street bike - he loves to trail ride. We have had our share of accidents this weekend on motorized vehicles. We have sand dunes about 40 minutes North of Idaho Falls - there were 4 accidents over the weekend. One was my friends' 9 year old daughter - she was on a 4-wheeler and broke her back (luckily, it didn't damage her spinal cord, and she will recover - but her summer is done).

It just amazes me that people don't wear any kind of protection. I love seeing the guys on their bullet bikes in shorts, no shirt and flip flops. Just waiting to hear about them on the news....

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• I'm your huckleberry.

I'm against manditory helmet laws because I'm for thinning the gene pool. What kind of moron doesn't wear a helmet???

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I'm against manditory helmet laws because I'm for thinning the gene pool. What kind of moron doesn't wear a helmet???
    Apparently one who just won a Super Bowl as a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, not long after seeing the careers of another football player (Kellen Winslow, Jr.) and NBA star (Jayson Williams) severely threatened by the same moronic behavior.

Sad.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Circle of Ancients

It's idiot's like this that cause Kristi to say no everytime I ask to get a bike.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

OK...the Chager fan side of me is finding it hard to write this...because I spent all season hoping that a LINEBACKER would do that to him....but it really is sad and I honestly hope that he recovers soon....um....right after the playoffs.

And um...he wears a helmet on the field but not on a MOTORCYCLE??

A crazed Shawne Merriman hitting you blindside at 20 mph or a silver Chrysler New Yorker at 60mph. Preferably you would use a helmet for BOTH, but if you had to CHOOSE...

• That Guy

When I worked in the ER the staff all called bikes, "Donor-cycles" due to the tremendous trauma that we saw come in. The fact is, there is no motorcycle "Fender-bender' if you get hit, you're going flying.

Not trying to add insult to injury, but I sure hope that people maybe realize that no one is Superman and if your bike is going 65MPH, so are you. All the facial injuries were 100% preventable, if only a full face helmet was worn. Hopefully something good comes of this, like helmet give away night at the stadium.

Get well soon.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Apparently one who just got handed a Super Bowl by the refs while as a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers
    FTFY

• Disneyland Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    When I worked in the ER the staff all called bikes, "Donor-cycles" due to the tremendous trauma that we saw come in.
    I work at a hospital and that's what we call them. You become an organ donor much faster than planned. He's lucky he didn't die, but stupid not to wear the bike helmet. Come on, isn't he used to helmets?

• Minion

No question a helmet and other gear would have reduced or possibly eliminated his injuries. Far as the crash itself goes, it's hard to say if it was preventable or not. Be interesting to see what the caused the crash and whether or not it was avoidable.
    Hopefully Ben gets better and he and other riders learn something from this. Probably not, but we can hope.

Personally, I always, always wear all the gear, all the time. Period. Doesn't matter if it's too hot to wear the stuff, or if it's just a short trip, I wear it anyway. Better to arrive a bit sweaty than have to take side trip to the ER....or worse!

• Wonderful World

Your making a lot money. You have your whole career still ahead of you, you just won the super bowl, and you make a really dumb decsion not to wear a helmet. He could of so easily died, he got lucky. I mean people who don't wear helmets are stupid, but if you play a sport for a living, thats absolutely not exceptable
    I'm back MiceChat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast