Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Sad FOF ..... Fear of Flying

So, after reading the article about toddlers and flying with kids, i realized something. I'm going to New York in August.
    I hate hate hate hate HATE flying. My dad was in New York on 9/11, he got on a plane to LA that day and the flight was cancelled beacause of the incidents. After that, I'v refused to step foot on an airplane (except for going to Walt Disney World...can't refuse that). Does anyone know of anything that will help me get over my Fear of Flying?

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: FOF ..... Fear of Flying

Some airports and even some airlines have classes you can take to get over your fear. I dont know specifics I just know they are there. Maybe check online.

Some things to do:

Relax. Take your time and make sure you have PLENTY of time to get to the airport and get settled before the flight.

Take deep breaths.

Ponder the excitement that awaits you at your final destination. Think of all the fun you'll have there. Maybe use the time on the plane to think about and plan things to do. Or take work with you. Take something with you to keep your mind off of flying. Magazines, books, portable dvd players, music.

Think of flying as a ride at a Disney park. Buckle up and enjoy the flight!

Know that flying is by far safer than driving. You'll get there in one piece no problem

• Still wants to be a cat!

I hate flying also, but I know it's the only way I can get to the places I want to visit. I always bring snacks (low calorie) and a good book. I start reading as soon as I get seated and don't put the book down (unless I take a nap) until we have landed. For it me it works. Believe me I have to fly a lot! My next upcoming flight isn't till October, but I know with 35 or so Micechatters on board, I'll never even notice the time the big metal tube is in the air...LOL!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Think of flying as a ride at a Disney park.

Sounds like you have flown in and out of John Wayne
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If safety is your concern you may want to look into just how air travel is very safe. But I agree with Olympicnut that relaxing is the best thing to do. It'll probably seem like an eternity but the last thing you need to is cause extra stress. I'm sure the flight staff would also be more than happy to answer any questions you may have when you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    And if you don't know, the ascent out of John Wayne is rather steep. So flying out of LAX may be a better idea. (to the OP)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    I know I sure have, and yep, it's the greatest thrill ride in Orange County!

- Wolfette

• insufferable know-it-all

You're safer in a plane than you are in a car. Seriously.

Book book book!

I'm not afraid of flying, but a close friend of mine is, and he found that the airlines with the tv screens usually have at least one channel dedicated to flight tracking. You might look into flying JetBlue, because they have the screens. My friend found that he was comforted by being able to see when they were over land or water, how much time/distance was left till the destination, etc. It took some of the uncertainty out of their progress.

And make sure it's a book that'll really engage you like Harry Potter or a nice Michael Crichton-type novel (except the airplane one, of course)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• love my friends

i hate flying as well.... especially after 9/11 but we flew to hawaii.. everything was fine

I think now a days security is soooooo much better,.. so dont worry about anything ok.. everything will be fine
    drink beer in the flight this will help.. it always helps me.. LOL

Friends for life

Alcohol doesn't help me, cause then I just want a smoke.....I know BAD habit! I stick to water when flying.

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

My dad worked for McDonall Douglas/Boeing for 20 years and they built the American Airlines planes. He said you have higher chances of winning the lottery then being in any type of Plane accident. Plus the security standard is so high these days that it is really hard for things to go wrong. The airline companies also thoroughly and regularly inspect their planes before take off. Honestly, the chances of anything bad happening on the airplanes are extremely slim.

I bet when you get on board and comfortable in your chair, you will feel pretty relaxed and at ease.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    You're safer in a plane than you are in a car. Seriously.
    I 100% agree.

And make sure it's a book that'll really engage you like Harry Potter or a nice Michael Crichton-type novel (except the airplane one, of course)
    I agree with that too. I usually look at the free magazines of products you can buy that are always tucked away in the airplane seats.

Or the Original Poster can talk with the staff who serves the food/beverages, etc. because they are trained to make the guests feel comfortable. I remember hearing a story that one of the flight attendands got into a long conversation with a couple of riders about surfing to make them feel comfortable .

The only thing that I hate about flying is the air pressure. Next time before I leave, I will buy some of those specialized airplane ear plugs.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    So, after reading the article about toddlers and flying with kids, i realized something. I'm going to New York in August.
    I hate hate hate hate HATE flying. My dad was in New York on 9/11, he got on a plane to LA that day and the flight was cancelled beacause of the incidents. After that, I'v refused to step foot on an airplane (except for going to Walt Disney World...can't refuse that). Does anyone know of anything that will help me get over my Fear of Flying?
    I'm going to be flying in August too ! But I am flying to Southern Cali. I am little nervous about flying and more excited about meeting my family and hopefully going to Disneyland to meet some Mice Chatters!!

Perhaps you should focus more on what you will be doing in New York. Then maybe that will get you more excited to get to New York and hopefully it will decrease your fears too.

• Minion

Thanks everyone for all of your support, i honestly feel a lot better now

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

don't worry dude...it is a veru enjoyable thing once you get over the fear....I have flown on Airplanes all my life...just laugh @ the image of me vomiting on a fat lady's fur coat.....which was a pretty funny event...lol

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Search for fear of flying - there is a website with a GREAT EZBoard all about this. Those folks are very nice and helpful. Just don't tell them I sent you!

some of the tips I can remember...
    Meet the captain, and if they'll let you, look in the cockpit.

distractions.

If it's THAT bad, then get medication.

And remember... there are air marshalls on every flight, and better scanning so it's harder for anything to get through.

good luck.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast