• L.A.Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Most off the cuff visit to Disneyland?...

Happy Friday all...

I was thinking about this the other day, and thought if I posted this question out there, what would come back?. What's the most spontainious visit you ever had to Disneyland?/WDW?. Mine happened over a month ago. I was driving back to L.A. from performing in San Diego. It was early evening by the time I made it into Anaheim. The closer I get to that infamous fwy exit...the more I feel like riding a few attractions; "Space Mountain", "Haunted Mansion", you name it. Sure enough, before I could blink...I'm surrounded by park visitors in the heart of Main Street, watching fireworks .

This has happened several times in the past, even before I got the premium passport(don't have a clue why I didn't get it sooner! *lol*). Anyone else had a simular experience?...

- Craig
    "Like the man says...there's no problems; only solutions..."

- Tron '82

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Most off the cuff visit to Disneyland?...

One night, I was driving home from visiting my boyfriend and I was on the 5. I usually take the 605 to get home. I was thinking, before I got to the 5/605 interchange, "Wow, I really wish I could go to DL right now." Granted, it was about 11 pm, there was really no way that I could realistically get into the park. So, I was driving and not paying attention to the signage, and next thing I know, I'm at the Disneyland Drive exit. D'oh!

My better, off-the-cuff visit story was last year. I had heard from my favorite Disney fan site ( ) that Space Mountain had soft-opened (July 1st, 2005). I was at a 4th of July party, held on July 2nd, and my co-worker and her hubby were there cause they were neighbors of the hosts. The party was a dud. I told them about Space Mountain...and then next thing we know, the four of us ditched the party. We booked it to Anaheim and were SO excited to find a 35-40 minute wait for the attractions. *sigh*. Good times.

• now on the mainland

When I applied to work for Disneyland Security. After I turned in my application, they said they would schedule me for an interview if I waited until 3pm. It was 11am, so I said sure. I had an AP at the time, so I just walked over to Disneyland, had a pizza, rode Star Tours and Space Mountain, came back to TDA for my interview, and got the job. Good day!

• done

There was one day when it had been really difficult at work. For whatever reason, I decided to drive down to the park, knowing I'd get there with little time before closing since it was a week night. It took probably an hour and a half from the westside, and I got to the park in time for Rod's closing. There were no other regulars there, so I did "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", chatted with Rod for a few minutes, and then left. I was there probably for a total of about half an hour. Seems kinds stupid to drive all the way for that, but it was worth it to me.

Last year on our anniversary my husband looked at me after he got home from work and asked if I wanted to go out to dinner and I said yes. We called his mom to baby sit our almost 4 month old and drove up from San Diego to have dinner at the Blue Bayou rode Big Thunder and then went home. It was tons of fun but poor Matt said not again on a work night. Not such a good idea when still needing to nurse the baby either. Can't be quite as spontaneous with a baby around

• Life is Great!

back when hubby and i were first dating we went up to LA for a cousins bat mitzvah that we werent looking fwd to. after staying long enough we bailed. it was real hot that day and we had a craving for fantasia ice cream so we stopped at DL, got our ice cream and left. no rides or anything, just ice cream(the park was real busy that day) boy do i miss that fantasia ice cream
    the first year of nightmare overlay we were on our way to knotts for the haunt and stopped, left a couple friends at espn(they didnt have passes) went inside but the line was too long so we went on pirates then left for the haunt (we went back to DL for nightmare a week later).
    more recently we spent the day at knotts because max wanted to play with snoopy and on the way home we made a quick decision (right as i read the disney exit sign i said lets go) to stop for a ride on monsters.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

This one time, we were driving back to O.C. from the bay area and we stopped off at the park, just in time for fireworks. That was cool.
    A signature should go here.

• Monorail Racer

Since I don't live in California, there's a limit as to how spontaneous I can be with visits. I did live in San Diego briefly in 2000-2001, but there weren't many spontaneous visits.

I have had an overnight layover in LA and before hitting the hotel, just decided to hit the park for the afternoon/evening on short notice. With cheap car rentals (I usually get one in CA for $18-20), it's easy to make the decision. I'll probably do it again when I hit LA on Monday.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

In 2004 I went for Anime Expo, the club i belonged to paid for room and ride (we were only going to be there for one night.) the ToT had just opened and I wanted to ride it. But the club wanted everyone to be at AX. But when I saw the line to register to get into the convention, I hightailed it to DL.

• L.A.Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Re: Most off the cuff visit to Disneyland?...

Great stories guys!; thanks for sharing. I forgot to mention this one. About 3 years ago, I decided to call in sick to my previous job one morning. Christmas season had just kicked off at the park, so I decided to go shopping on Main Street for gifts for everyone. Found some interesting items, was there for a few hours.

- Craig
    "Like the man says...there's no problems; only solutions..."

- Tron '82

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Vic and I used to travel to San Diego a lot. Often, on the way home, we would decided to take a little detour and stop of at Disneyland... even if for only a couple of hours. Sometimes we didn't even ride any rides. It's fun to just be there and soak in the atmosphere. Of course, we'd usually enjoy a light supper and an adult beverage at the Uva Bar before finally going home.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Dreaming of Disneyland...

since i turned 18 my best friend and i have gone to disneyland every year and now im 22. well last year we were low on cash and we were like i dont think we are gonna go. i was soooo bummed out. well i was at her house the day before my bday and we were talkin and i was like dude we should totally go. it was already 10pm when we were talkin about it an hour later we were on our way to disneyland. its a 6hr drive too but that was the most spontaneous trip ever!!

I've never been to Disneyland in an "off the cuff" moment, but my family has. They were driving to the Grand Canyon for a family reunion (I was going to be there too, but then had to stay for exams) and about 30 minutes before the Canyon my parents decided they didn't really want to go to the reunion, so they just kept driving. I don't think the kids even knew what was happening until a few hours later when they crossed into California and wondered why they'd passed the Canyon. My parents called me from Peter Pan. I was crushed. Crushed I tell you!

Here is my story:

When I lived in Phoenix, me and my friends Scott and Tony went out on a Friday night for drinks, karaoke and fun. After the bar threw us out we went to Denny's for breakfast. Sitting there at 2 a.m. eating eggs and bacon, we started talking about Disneyland.

My friend Scott (who is also a Disney fan) said "Let's go to Disneyland!" I said, "yeah we should plan a trip," he says "NO, RIGHT NOW!"

I laughed and said "yeah right!"

He got up, made arrangements to be off work the next day, Tony and I were off anyway, so we headed back to our homes, packed a bag and started driving to Disneyland about 4 a.m.

6 hours and zero sleep later, we arrived at the Resort (then only Disneyland and the Hotel) checked into the DLH and headed to the park.

The Lion King Celebration was the parade then, and I remember being moved to tears. If that was the parade or lack of sleep, I am not sure.

We spent one of my most memorable days at Disneyland, then after the park closed we headed to the hotel, slept, then left the next morning to head back to Phoenix.

That is my most "off the cuff" trip to Disneyland!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member