Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Parents - teach your kids the basics at an early age

My coworker was telling me that this morning on his way in to work, there was a little boy he saw on the sidewalk of a busy street at around 6:30am, just walking around in circles clutching his blankey tightly and crying. He stopped and asked him the basics and all he could tell him was his first and last name and that he was 4 years old. He didnt know his parents names, he didnt know his address or phone number and when he asked where he lived he didnt know where he lived.

I realize it might be tough for a little one to remember most of these things but at LEAST make sure they know their parents names. My niece is pounding this information into her little 2.5 year old now and when you ask her she does know it.

I may not like kids all that much but when I hear stories like this it just breaks my heart, not for the parents, but for the kid. I can totally empathize with how scared he must have been, holding onto the one thing that made him feel safe and secure, his blankey.

Do any of you know of similar stories? And parents, at what age did you make sure your kids knew "the basics"?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: Parents - teach your kids the basics at an early age

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    My coworker was telling me that this morning on his way in to work, there was a little boy he saw on the sidewalk of a busy street at around 6:30am, just walking around in circles clutching his blankey tightly and crying. He stopped and asked him the basics and all he could tell him was his first and last name and that he was 4 years old. He didnt know his parents names, he didnt know his address or phone number and when he asked where he lived he didnt know where he lived.
    Whoa! What's the story there? Did she call the police? Did she find the parents??? Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• most magical vaca ever

When we sign up our 4 yr olds here for PreK they must know their names, addresses and phone numbers.

Kids love songs so a trick I did w/my kids was to make up a song using our address and phone#

I'll never forget when the school admin asked my son his phone # and he sang it to her

Hey, he knew it
    ~~~~~~

Scary!

Sharpie pen meet shirt tag. Shirt tag, meet sharpie pen...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

That is just so sad, that poor little guy my heart is just breaking for him. I really hope your co-worker called the police or something to help him out.

When Kyler was 4 he knew, his first last, our names, his phone number and his address. Shawn was a totally different story, his speech delay was so bad you couldn't understand half of what he said. It was scary.

This is defintely something that needs to be taught when they are very young.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Oh sorry a_h, yes he did call the cops and they arrived within 10 or so minutes and he was ok. He told me when he asked him "The police are coming would you like to sit in the policecar?" his eyes lit up, and when they arrived he was just fine sitting in the front seat of the car.

• Oh bother!

I think parents should also teach their kids not to give out that information to just anyone in that situation. Just the police. A stranger with "bad" intentions could easily take advantage of that info.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• insufferable know-it-all

Jeez... did he ask the cops to let him know what happened to the kid? What if he was abandoned?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Big Member

That's scary. My kid already knows her home phone number and of course both parents names. I think at a minimum, you need to hammer the basics like phone numbers and complete names into your pre-k youngsters.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Jeez... did he ask the cops to let him know what happened to the kid? What if he was abandoned?
    The cops told him he didn't need to stay any longer and they took him I am assuming to the police station. I dont know if he asked them to call him to see what happened or not (he's already gone from the office so I cant ask him).

• Life is Great!

how scary, i hope we can teach that to max but he has some speech delays due to being bilingual (and stubborn too) i do like the sharpie idea though.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Again! Again! Again!

My niece knows, but my nephew is still learning. Don't think he knows his phone number yet(he's 3 1/2). He's in the other room, I'll have to ask.

That's scary that the parents didn't know where he was. You said a busy street, but were there houses around? I would have definitely called the police too. I hope it all turned out OK.
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Plastic Monkey

its just disturbing and upsetting, i remember finding two kids crying outside the tunnel entrance to go under the thames in grenwich once, (turns out their dad got into the lift and they got pushed out the way by the people getting out, and the doors shut.) never seen kids happier than when he walked out of the tunnel entrance

dog tag style keyrings or a shirt tag is the way to go, hey it worked when i went to the natural history museum in kensington as a kid.
    We Play Rock and Roll

How scary for that little guy!

This is one of my biggest fears with my two sons. Both are autistic and one's non-verbal, the other mostly non-verbal. Neither would be able to recall their name much less ours. Can't keep ID tags on them either except for strung through their sneakers. It would be unlikely they'd put those on if they tried to get out of our home at night alone. So of course our home is locked up like Fort Knox and my cell phone number is on everything they wear.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Oh sorry a_h, yes he did call the cops and they arrived within 10 or so minutes and he was ok. He told me when he asked him "The police are coming would you like to sit in the policecar?" his eyes lit up, and when they arrived he was just fine sitting in the front seat of the car.
    Oh man, my heart was pounding. Thank God your co worker stopped!! what the heck is wrong when a child is out on a street corner like this?
    makes me mad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast