Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

An article about Disneyland in the SF Chronicle. Get ready to rant!!!

The story is a editorial by Jon Carroll. After reading his article I start to wonder if he's ever even been to the park. In the article he goes into the ride 'innerspace' and tells about his adventures in the human blood stream amongst other things. I hate to tell him but that was the movie 'Innerspace' that came out in the 80's. Not Journey through Innerspace where you went into a snowflake...

Story at http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...DGS0INHEN1.DTL

There's a show at the Oakland Museum about the creation and refinement of Disneyland. It's a love letter to kindly Walt Disney, king of product placement and cross promotion, never mentioning his union-busting activities or other right-wing projects, and certainly skipping over the odd pervasiveness of shaking rodent butts in his cartoons, but it's still interesting if you can discount the hagiography.

Interesting to me, anyway. I was growing up in Southern California when Disneyland was being built, and I followed its progress avidly. I examined the schematics; I tried to envision the rides. (Particularly Tomorrowland, because I was a reader of science fiction and tomorrow was my destination. Tomorrow is all of our destinations; it just took wise little Asimoviacs like me to realize it.) I went within a month of its opening.

It was an overwhelming, if not entirely pleasant, experience. I loved Autopia, which was a sort of fourth-generation-refined bumper car experience. You drove little cars on little highways -- and my, is the portmanteau word "autopia" interesting, combining as it does "automobile" and "utopia" to describe an attraction in Orange County. Kids, can you say "irony"?

I can be scornful now; at the time, I just wanted to ride it as many times as possible. Interestingly, Disneyland was also the site of a monorail, a technology heartily endorsed by train nut Disney. It was the future of transportation! Someday our great cities will be linked by these swift, silent capsules, unless the residents of San Jose vote down the transportation bonds.

Tomorrowland later was the site of a 360-degree surround-view Michael Jackson video -- I assume that's gone now. Michael Jackson; happy little children -- not a great combo.

I liked Tom Sawyer's Island, too, and I disdained the Carousel in Fantasyland, and I was scared witless by the Abe Lincoln robot that held forth at a theater on Main Street. It was supposed to provide patriotic uplift, the improving message at the end of the fun seeking, but it didn't really look that human, and the thought occurred to me that it could be very easily programmed to slice the throats of little children. (Maybe that idea came from reading too much science fiction.) I stayed away from Honest Abe after the first time; he was just too weird.

Later on, when they were built, I liked Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. I had no interest in the Matterhorn or Space Mountain; recreational fear has never been one of my pleasures. But more than either of those rides, I liked the Monsanto ride. It's gone now, since it didn't really fit with anything.

The lobby of the ride was dominated by a giant replica of a hypodermic needle. You rode in a cart and got "shrunk" into a microscopic particle (remember "Fantastic Voyage"? -- like that) and were injected into the bloodstream of a human being and, look, there are red blood cells skimming past and oh, here comes the heart, nooo ... In other words: sort of like trying to understand the drug problem from the point of view of heroin.

When Disneyland opened, the world was so naive that injectable substances suggested nothing more than a penicillin shot. Later on, a new generation of citizens began visiting Disneyland. The Disneyland brass did not like that development -- as the brochures displayed at the museum made clear, Disneyland was a park designed by white people for white people, and employees were forbidden to wear beards, mustaches and a long list of other offensive things that might suggest deviation from the norm.

Which was ironic, because people soon discovered that getting loaded and going to Disneyland meant a day of big fun. It was an endless playground for people who said "oh wow" a lot. You could, you know, shake hands with Goofy. ("Shaking hands with Goofy" would be a pretty good code phrase for any number of proscribed experiences.) The lines were a drag, but the lines were always a drag, no matter what your synapses were doing. Go early on a weekday in winter and take your chances; that was always my advice.
    At some point, it is my theory, the folks at the Disney got the idea -- they had a market. How else do you explain the Main Street Electrical Light Parade? At night, floats juiced to the gills with flashing spinning blinking lights and waving Disney characters would go by, and -- well, you know, wow. It went on forever, for longer than forever. And then there were fireworks! Yes, it was the happiest place on earth.

On shaking hands with Goofy, which is not, repeat not, an experience available at the Oakland Museum, unless you're evolved enough to get lost in a Diebenkorn.

One through nine, no maybes, no supposes, no fractions. You can't travel in space, you can't go out into space, you know, without, like, you know, uh, with fractions -- what are you going to land on -- one-quarter, three-eighths? What are you going to do when you go from here to Venus or something? That's [email protected].
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

Re: An article about Disneyland in the SF Chronicle. Get ready to rant!!!

Um, there's so many things wrong with the references this person's using I don't know where, nor am I even going, to start!

Yikes! Does anyone not do research anymore before writing an article?!?!?
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• My prices are INSANE!

Just show's the quality of the San Francisco Chronicle.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I think we should all e-mail him and correct his inaccuracies
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Gumball Rally Godfather

What a freakin' moron.

I can't believe that the SF Chronicle paid good money for that load of crap. Well, yes I can. They are simply feeding the majority in the Bay Area what they want... more BS about an evil corporate entity.

And do you think anyone up there will notice. NO. They don't want to know the truth. They want to hear stuff that rationalizes their beliefs.

Idiots.

Disclaimer: Not everyone in the Bay Area is an idiot. Just the people who read Jon Carroll's article and believe it.
    Last edited by Circarama; 06-21-2006 at 12:24 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• враг народа

Blog Entries

LOL. Maybe this guy's next article can be on Atlantis or El Dorado?

• insufferable know-it-all

Disney should sue for libel

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Disney should sue for libel
    I think he'd like that.

Hey, Disney's in the business of pleasing

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

A very stormy rememberance of the parks, indeed. I'm surprised he spelled Disneyland correctly. While I can understand someone putting down the park for being too commercial, the article did read like a rant by some guy who doesn't like theme parks, hasn't been to Anaheim since the early 80s, and likely has no children. Feh.

I'm surprised he remembered to call it Disneyland. Usually people that stupid will call it Disney World.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Meh. I pseudo-intellectual trying to pass himself off as a journalist.

Nitwit.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I'm surprised he remembered to call it Disneyland. Usually people that stupid will call it Disney World.
    You mean Disneyworld. Actually, I am surprised it isn't "Disney Land" in article. I'd bet spellcheck fixed it.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 06-21-2006 at 01:20 PM.

• Minion

He is a sad, strange little man whose goal is to spoil other people's fun because he himself somehow forgot what fun is. He has my pity. Farewell.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    You mean Disneyworld. Actually, I am surprised it isn't "Disney Land" in article.
    I guess his next article is on his recent visit Walt Disney Land Florida where he rips on Expedition: Everest, the Florida version of that one Matterhorn sled ride that he was afraid to go on in Disneyworld California.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast