• Princess of my own world

Stanley Cup Snopes Article

Well I remember seeing a thread for the Stanley Cup. Currently here it is 12:26 am so I am surfing the net when I should probably be in bed. But I am a snopes addict and found this article. I thought you guys would like it, it's really interesting.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/hockey/stanley.asp
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Stanley Cup Snopes Article

Prncss - well here it is 12:44 am, and I should be in bed too, but I find your thread, and I am reminded that this is truly the most beloved trophy in professional sports.

I wasn't necessarily aware of all the details (good and yecch! from this article) but I know that players have done some pretty bizarre things during their time with hockey's holy grail...taking it into swimming pools and the like.

The NBA's trophy - the Lawrence O'Brien Award - is a gold hoop thing with a basketball attached.

The Super Bowl NFL trophy is an (I believe) crystal football called the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Major League Baseball's trophy (which if you're in SoCal you can see on display at Angel Stadium...2002 version)
    is a large ring of pennants, basically...and while I'll never forget the image of Tim Salmon and company running around the Big A field on a magical October night to share it with the fans....

There is nothing like hockey's tradition of each player on the winning team kissing the Cup, raising it to the sky and getting a victory lap on the ice. I long for the day that my favorite team, the LA Kings, gets to do this. The Carolina Hurricanes are now the proud owners of Lord Stanley's prized possession.

Thanks for the link...and for letting me share these thoughts!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

I remember when Tampa won it.. and previously it was on tour.. went to Down town disney and Busch Gardens in one day... (I was there to see it parade down to a spot.. and got to stand near it... lol Tampa won it too..)

Nice article...

• Drunk On Disney

Very interesting article. I had never heard any of these stories! I loved the one about the kid named Stanley Cup!

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Sweet!!!! Thanks for the link, that was a great article. I have to say, it is the most beautiful trophy in all of sporting events (of course, I'm a little biased, lol)

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I have just, in the past couple of years, gotten into hockey. I had season tickets to our local hockey games and love the sport.

Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Quote Originally Posted by PrncssZ
    Glad you guys are enjoying it. I have just, in the past couple of years, gotten into hockey. I had season tickets to our local hockey games and love the sport.
    Whose your team? Mine, if you haven't noticed, is the most wonderful Calgary Flames. I'm so hooked to hockey it's not even funny. It's my crack, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by splashmountainfreak
    Whose your team? Mine, if you haven't noticed, is the most wonderful Calgary Flames. I'm so hooked to hockey it's not even funny. It's my crack, lol.
    I have yet to catch a professional hockey game, but did watch the olympic games. Anyways the team that plays here are the Bakersfield Condors. They've gotten a lot better and this time made it to the second round playoffs... one round away from the Kelly Cup Playoffs. (They're in the ECHL )

Wildcat Projects

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I have yet to catch a professional hockey game, but did watch the olympic games. Anyways the team that plays here are the Bakersfield Condors. They've gotten a lot better and this time made it to the second round playoffs... one round away from the Kelly Cup Playoffs. (They're in the ECHL )
    Ah, just like the Las Vegas Wranglers, Calgarys farm team. You should catch a professional game next chance you get, it's the best sport to see live hands down. I've seen the other "big 3" live and they were fun, but nothing compares to a pro NHL game!

I will definetly do that. Now that we've thrown the thread off-topic... at least we're talking about the same sport hehe

Wildcat Projects

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I will definetly do that. Now that we've thrown the thread off-topic... at least we're talking about the same sport hehe
    Well, there is a hockey thread in here open for any and all hockey discussion. There's also a group in MC Gold, but you have to be 18 to go gold

I love hockey. It was fascinating to read the things players have done with the cup. Some of those are downright disrespectful and I would have thought players who fought so hard would treat it more carefully.

Saw the Wranglers one night in Vegas. Fun game. They gave hats with "hair" on the back in a mullet. It was funny and frightening at the same time.

Go Kings!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.