Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• For old time sake

Disabled animals

Has anyone ever had a blind cat? There is currently a very sweet looking white female 2 yo cat available for adoption in the Los Angeles Area. She was born with no eyes. My heart is breaking and I feel a need to bring her into my home. I have emailed the shelter inquiring about her.

Has anyone ever had a blind cat? I am highly concerned because I own 2 large male cats as it is. Any tips?
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Adopt it asap. then get it tiny raybans..you will meet more guys when you walk it at the park..who could resist..and it needs a loving home too.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• /sigh

That is so great to do, kat!

Cous - that's awsome! Little raybans...hehehe
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Waiting for the stork

get the cat.
    No i have no experience with blind cats but my feeling is if you love her, pet her oftain, and possably feed her in an area away from your othe cats you and she should be fine.

I would also recommend that you keep her in one room away from the other cats for a while so she can get used to her surroundings, and you. She will also get used to the smell of the other cats, and they her smell, so that when you slowly introduce them they should all be fine, not overly couriose about her.

also I would introduce her to one room in your home at a time, and allow her to really feel comfortable in there before introducing her to anouther room.

all things you would do with any cat, just a bit slower and more purposeful for this special baby cat.

good luck Katie, and bless you for wanting her.
    procrastibating

• For old time sake

I just wanted to share the link to a picture of the kitty. Just a warning that she has no eyes, so it might bother some people. So if you think it might bother you a bit, don't click on the link:

Blind kitty

ack the link takes you to a list of shelters. She is at the South LA shelter....on the first page. White kitty!!!
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• LoisAlene

Kat,
    I've got a cat that's been partially blind since birth. Last year he got into a fight and lost. Since then he act's pretty much blind - he'll run into things if you put them in his pathway. We let him go outside still, he's always been an indoor/ourdoor cat. He uses his nose a great deal more. If you drop something on the floor he has to snarffle around for it instead of Seeing where it landed and zeroing in like he used to. I'd say if you've got the resources for the vet bills, go for it! Keep things in the same place from day one and hopefully Kitty will learn how to maneuver from food to box to bed.
    Keep us posted!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    Aw! Kat, I think the kitty is adorable! And kudos for you for wanting to take her home.

I have a completely blind rat, and also a small koi fish with only one eye.

The blind rat I took from a friend after her failed attempt to feed her snake (she purchased it from the reptile shop as food). The snake detected something wrong, and refused it. So, I took it off her hands. A few months later, I adopted another rat from her with perfect vision, and paired them in the cage. The boys get along great. Stevie (the blind rat - she named it, I didn't), does quite well, but often gets confused or a bit paranoid when he's picked up. But, he comes right over to the bars when I call him, and can even sniff out his treats, and knows the shaking sound of the box.

Our koi mysteriously lost one eye about a week after I purchased him. It sealed up, and he's quite healthy and happy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    then get it tiny raybans..

Could get a seeing-eye-dog to help it out.

Sorry thought it was funny.

I don't know about blind cats, but I have seen Dalmations that are deaf and the owners start while its a puppy and teach it to respond to sign language.

Really cool.

• For old time sake

Wonder if I could teach this one Braille????
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I think that's awesome and you should totally do it. I think that animals are little individual miracles- their instincts are amazing. I bet that cat's ability to maneuver around will amaze you. They use smell and also their whiskers an awful lot, so I am sure she can do just fine.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• For old time sake

Still waiting to hear back from the shelter
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For old time sake

calling them right now.

Just got off the phone with them...she was adopted today!!!! I'm a little sad, but am looking at this as a sign that maybe it isn't the right time for me to get kitty #3
    Katie
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Waiting for the stork

Oh Kat, I'm sorry, I know how much you were looking forward to her.
    But I bet your right, It just wasn't meant to be...you will find a babycat that will fit your home perfectly.
    oh, sweety, I'm so sorry
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast