Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• white and nerdy

Zion's National Park trip report (LOTS of scary photos)

I live in Southern Utah, so I visit Zions a lot. This time I decided to take my wife on the Angel's Landing hike. For those of you who never heard of this hike it's pretty much as hard core of a hike as you can get without bringing your own ropes or packing out your poop in ziplocks.

We arrived at Zions at about 7:30 am, a bit later than I wanted, and started the hike.

Now I use to hike all the time, in fact I've hiked the 30 highest peaks in Utah with my family by the time I was 17. But I haven't in a while, as my bulging stomach in the photos will attest to.

Here is Beth with Angel's Landing in the background. It's still early and the temp. is only about 79 now.

The hike to the head of the Angel's Landing trail head is a nasty set of switchbacks. For every mile you hike you gain 600 feet of elevation, so, ya know... it hurts your calves a bit.

This is the final warning sign at the trail head. It's located at place called Scout's Lookout where those who are afraid of the hike to come can chicken out.

Most of Angel's landing is hand over hand bouldering style climbing with chains for assistance.

By now the temp was nearing 100 and the chain was getting hot and kinda slippery.

hard to tell in this photo, but there is a sheer rock drop of about 1000 feet on either side of me. Ooooooooohh.

It's about three hours to the top and when the temp gets up you savor any shade you can find. I also want to mention that the temp feels about 10 degrees hotter because of the reflection off of the rock.

And we made it to the top! The view is like nothing I can describe, and the photos do little justice.

you have to be a tough twisted tree to grow on top of Angel's landing. Have you ever seen a tree whose roots tangles with it's branches?

a view down the 1500 foot drop. yikes.

my wife wasn't brave enough for this photo.

But this one was ok...

on the way down the temp went up another 15 degrees. (115 for you keeping track)

This photo makes my stomach drop. My wife is SCARED to death at this point, but still wants me to take photo after photo. Again about 1000 foot straight drop.

What a trooper.

And she HAD to let go of the chain for this scary shot.

there are carved "steps" along the way. Beth is sitting in one now. Again, with the sheer drops on either side.

When we got back down to Scouts lookout we drank the last of our water. We brought one and a half gallons and a big gatorade, and drank it all. We didn't think it would be too bad. After all, it was down hill all the way down the switchbacks (called Walter's Wiggles by the way). But in the desert 115 degree weather you lose so much water.

Continued on next post
    Last edited by thejoshualee; 06-24-2006 at 04:42 PM.

• white and nerdy

Re: Zion's National Park trip report (LOTS of scary photos)

we started to get a bit... loopy due to lack of water. I'm trying to make the face on the cave wall behind me.

One of the many forms of wildlife we saw. This Blackwidow Spider and her egg sack which Beth just about leaned against.

And back to the bottom safe and sound. Sore, tired beyond belief, sunburned, slightly dehidrated, but it was worth it all.

So, ladies and gents, come down to Utah and visit Zions. While there, hike Angel's Landing. If you have enough water. And if you can handle a vigorous hike. And if you aren't afraid of hights. OR if you are afraid of hights yet want to face your fear. It's one of the most rewarding hikes I've ever been on.

AND if you ever do go, let me know. We'll have a micechat meet at another park.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Princess of my own world

Wow, that's amazing. Beautiful scenery. I am afraid of heights, but have been slowly getting better... but some of those pictures just made my heart drop. You both are very brave. Thanks for the pics, they were great!
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• For old time sake

Ok.......T-gel, you are my hero as is your wife. I could NEVER have done that. Not because of the heat but because of the drops, and narrow paths. OMG that is SCARY!!!! But what awesome memories.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Stunning views. I have a 100 oz. camelback that I normally take when mountain biking. Would that do?
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    Stunning views. I have a 100 oz. camelback that I normally take when mountain biking. Would that do?
    hrm.... 100 oz is just under one gallon right?

That would probably be good for one person.

and camelbacks are probably the best invention ever. The last drops of water we sucked from ours was just melted from ice cubes.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I've done that hike. S-C-A-R-Y! Seriously, when I was going across the parts with chains I felt like was going to die from fear.

We went to Zion a lot because we used to have a house in Rockville, which is a tiny town very close to Zion. We sold it just a few months ago though .

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

1 us gallon =128 ounces, according to google
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• Waiting for the stork

OMG, Beautiful pictures, thanks for taking them, cause I'm way to chicken to ever see that view for myself....Holy Crap that's way too high...

Glad you had fun, and are safe and sound back on level ground
    procrastibating

• Sea Creature

Oh isn't Zions a blast? My favorite national park though is for sure Bryce Canyon, I visit once a year.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    1 us gallon =128 ounces, according to google
    A gallon per person is probably enough, It's just so hot and so much work. You sweat like crazy, but the desert is so dry, not to mention all the salt that the red rock contains, it just sucks the mosture right out of you.

With all the biking you do, I'm sure you know better than I how much water you body uses in hot deserts when are putting forth alot of physical effort.

Now that I add up everything we drank I think that my wife and I both drank about 100 oz each and was still dehydrated.

OR... you can plan ahead and NOT go on oen of the hottest days of the year. During the fall and winter (with no snow) it's not nearly as bad.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan
    Oh isn't Zions a blast? My favorite national park though is for sure Bryce Canyon, I visit once a year.
    I'm going camping at Bryce for a week in two weeks. I'll have to make another trip report about that.

• Merry 2014!

I really enjoyed your trip report. It has been a long time since I have been in Zion National Park; your report reminded me of the parks beauty. Will never do that hike though, too high. You and your wife are brave souls.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Shablagoo!

nice pics. thanks for posting

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I love Zion

i loved that hiking trail you were on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast