Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Question Hoodia Diet Pills - Do they really work?

The girls at the office took me out to lunch for my birthday today and all they spoke about for an hour was something called "Hoodia". They claim that it is a naturally occuring plant substance from Africa which keeps you from feeling hungry. It all sounds like hogwash to me, but a google search pulled up pages of sites selling the stuf.

Anyone actually use this? Does it really work? How do you know if you are getting the real stuf or some knock-off???

-A Curious Sage
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: Hoodia Diet Pills - Do they really work?

Ok, I found something from CBS 60 minutes:

(CBS) Each year, people spend more than $40 billion on products designed to help them slim down. None of them seem to be working very well.

Now along comes hoodia. Never heard of it? Soon it'll be tripping off your tongue, because hoodia is a natural substance that literally takes your appetite away.

It's very different from diet stimulants like Ephedra and Phenfen that are now banned because of dangerous side effects. Hoodia doesn't stimulate at all. Scientists say it fools the brain by making you think you’re full, even if you've eaten just a morsel. Correspondent Lesley Stahl reports.
    The rest of it is HERE

Who wants to bet that this is going to be the next big diet craze?
    Find us on Facebook:

• Iron-Clad Allie

http://www.weightlossreviews.com/ind...FQFgDgodwDiNAQ

How ya doin', Dusty. Here is a link to an article that warns people about Hoodia rip-offs. The fact that you cannot buy these diet pills in retail stores, or at pharmacies isends an automatic red flag to me. Anyone with common sense knows that there is no pill on Earth that can replace good old fasioned exercise and a well rounded diet of natural foods - not dietary foods.

As I see not a word about exercise in the many different ads, I have to say "Hoodia think they're fooling!"

Nevertheless, the article does list a company that sypposedly gives those whp are curious a free sample. Might be worth following up on - but be warry of side effects.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-29-2006 at 10:58 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

We watched a special on TV a couple of years ago with (I think) Diane Sawyer. She talked about Hoodia. She chewed some of the plant and later said she, frankly, didn't really feel very hungry when she probably should have. Pure hoodia probably has some merit as a hunger suppressant. I really doubt, though, that the cheap pills and stuff you can buy at retail have more than a trace of the active ingredient.

You want to lose weight? We all know the formula. Eat less... exercise more.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Fire at Will

Save your money. I bought some last year at GNC and they were worthless. So far, imo, the only over-the-counter thing that ever really did some good was ephedra.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    The girls at the office took me out to lunch for my birthday today and all they spoke about for an hour was something called "Hoodia". They claim that it is a naturally occuring plant substance from Africa which keeps you from feeling hungry. It all sounds like hogwash to me, but a google search pulled up pages of sites selling the stuf.

Anyone actually use this? Does it really work? How do you know if you are getting the real stuf or some knock-off???

-A Curious Sage
    Dusty, you svelte boy you, you're not trying to loose weight are you????? You're perfect now!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

It isn't so much that I want to loose weight. I'm just really intrigued by the claim that these pills work by making you not feel hungry. Can you imagine the money you'd save at Disneyland if you ate one of these pills before you got to the park!?!

Somehow I know that the magic pill doesn't exist, but the article that I linked to above from CBS 60 Minutes seems to indicate that the real Hoodia really does work.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Waiting for the stork

Appetite Surpresants are DANGEROUS

Why? We want to lose weight, if we don't eat we lose weight...

1), that's false, if you don't eat, your body goes into starvation mode, meaning yes it will in fact onsume itself (fat and MUSCEL) but also anything you DO eat gets stroed away for later use because you have now confused your body into not knowing when it's going to get more food (that's why the most effective weightloss plans actualy encourage grazing...your body is never in the Lack of food/Starvation mode)

2nd) If you do not eat properly your body does not get the nutrition, vitamines and minerals that it requires, so in addition to Starvation Mode, you body starts to go into major deficiencies (NOT HEALTHY) creating a world of other problems....

Appetite surpressers are NOT A GOOD or SAFE way to lose weight...

Eat healthy, Excercise, Drink pleanty of water, and get enough rest...

all those things will help control weight issues more than any "Quick Fix diet fad"
    procrastibating

• white and nerdy

Well... I know for a fact that Pfizer is currently working on a pill using the Hoodia plant as an appetite suppressant/energy pill.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Neep meep beep

There's a great article about Hoodie and the studies supporting it from someone skeptical at http://skepchick.org/blog/?p=46

Quote:

"I turned to my friend Google. I was shocked to find that as claimed on the site, Hoodia really WAS mentioned on the BBC.
    Deep inside the African Kalahari desert, grows an ugly cactus called the Hoodia. It thrives in extremely high temperatures, and takes years to mature.
    The San Bushmen of the Kalahari, one of the world’s oldest and most primitive tribes, had been eating the Hoodia for thousands of years, to stave off hunger during long hunting trips.
    And not only that, but it actually sounds like it may even work:
    Half were given Hoodia, half placebo. Fifteen days later, the Hoodia group had reduced their calorie intake by 1000 a day.
    It was a stunning success.
    The journalist even traveled to the Kalahari to try it for himself:
    The plant is said to have a feel-good almost aphrodisiac quality, and I have to say, we felt good.
    But more significantly, we did not even think about food. Our brains really were telling us we were full. It was a magnificent deception."

• I'm your huckleberry.

After glancing over Google links, it looks like the main problem is that there is a LOT of counterfeit hoodia on the market.

And I'm willing to bet, if hoodia actually works, the government will find a way to outlaw it so only Phizer and the like can market it.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Neep meep beep

yes, that same article I posted stated that the major problem with almost all samples tested (from commercially available sources), is that it contained almost no hoodia at all! Snake oil and fillers marketed as Hoodia won't do you any good, and because it's relatively rare, unless you have a lab, you may not know what you get, even if you buy Hoodia.

I just ordered some. <insert sheepish face here>

I'll let you know after I try them if they really work. I am always hungry so this sounds like it will be just up my alley. I got a free sample for $8.95 (yes, I know that's an oxymoron).

JULIE
    This is my signature.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I get spam trying to sell me Hoodia every day. Highly annoying.

I'm tempted to try that Relacore stuff though. I got some extra fat in my stomach that will not go away no matter what I do. And I know it's cortizol caused by stress, which I'm under a lot. The Relacore is stpposed to help contro the cortisol by alleviating stress (one pill makes you happy...).

Still trying to justify the $30 pricetag at Walgreens though.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    I'm tempted to try that Relacore stuff though. I got some extra fat in my stomach that will not go away no matter what I do. And I know it's cortizol caused by stress, which I'm under a lot. The Relacore is stpposed to help contro the cortisol by alleviating stress (one pill makes you happy...)..
    I'm pretty sure that cortisol/Relacore stuff has been totally debunked. Save your money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast