Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Totally off topic! Any Teacher's out there????

I've been teaching for 7 year's and want to know why female teacher's like to talk about fellow teacher's behind their backs???? Granted I'm 1 of only 2 male teacher's at my school, but it bugs me when I hear things through the grapevine. And yes what I heard was about myself from a fellow staff member who's been teaching for only 4 years. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• white and nerdy

Re: Totally off topic! Any Teacher's out there????

seems to me that a male teacher is talking about female teachers behind their backs.

And It's totally on topic, as you started the topic yourself.

Buhahahahahaha!!!
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I've been teaching for 34 years, and I don't have an easy answer. People gossip. Do you expect teachers to be any different?

Many workplaces have one person who is a well-known gossip or rumormonger, but that person's credibility is usually suspect because of it.

Are the things being said potentially damaging to your personal or professional life? Then you will have to act. If you're not comfortable talking to your administrator about it, try your union rep. Teachers are not supposed to participate in one another's work evaluation--at least not in my state.

I'm afraid you haven't given me much to go on. I assume you work in an elementary school and that the gossip has something to do with being one of the few males on staff. We often get more than our fair share of attention because of it.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad
    I've been teaching for 34 years, and I don't have an easy answer. People gossip. Do you expect teachers to be any different?

Many workplaces have one person who is a well-known gossip or rumormonger, but that person's credibility is usually suspect because of it.

Are the things being said potentially damaging to your personal or professional life? Then you will have to act. If you're not comfortable talking to your administrator about it, try your union rep. Teachers are not supposed to participate in one another's work evaluation--at least not in my state.

I'm afraid you haven't given me much to go on. I assume you work in an elementary school and that the gossip has something to do with being one of the few males on staff. We often get more than our fair share of attention because of it.
    Thanks for the insight. Only thing is another co-worker told me about it so it was not a direct conversation between the parties. Yes I work in a K-6 school. In short the problem is:
    In regards to my students I usually handle 99.9% of my student problems within the 4 wallls of my room. I never complain or send students to the principal for discipline problems. What I do get is the school's bad kids that the other teacher's don't want. I'm fine with it, but the comment said was, "Those kids get sent to me because they can slip through the cracks of the system." I do my best in helping these kids, but I can't help everybody, right? I'm not talking behind someones back here on this board, but just looking for some advice from people who share a common bond, The love of Disney! That's all.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    the comment said was, "Those kids get sent to me because they can slip through the cracks of the system."
    Ouch. I don't see how one teacher can say that about another, knowing how hard we all work!

As for the females who gossip part of this: yes, some women gossip, but I have heard plenty of male teachers talking behind backs too.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

New teachers often get the "problem students" dumped on them. Too bad, because it's often the veterans who have the tools to deal with them.

When I was a classroom teacher, I used a "prisoner exchange" with teachers at different grade levels. It's amazing how much better kids behave when away from their peers.

Best thing you can do is stick up for yourself. The students with "issues" should be fairly distributed--and separated.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I've been teaching for 14.5 years now and I'm the only male on my floor, one of three in the building.

As for gossip? You heard it second hand? Then it technically doesn't exist, really. Unless this person came to you and said something, I wouldn't worry about it, really. It's the way I work. I had a coworker that was 'let go' and everyone was a-buzz. But since nothing was official, I just nodded and kept doing what I was supposed to be doing. The individual came in, I did my job and he informed me he was fired. So there---then it existed.

It would do you well to not fall into the games. Work is stressful and you don't want to add to your stress, do you? Listen, gossip is commonplace and sometimes unavoidable. But not worth the energy. As a matter of fact, when your colleague came to tell you, you should have said to him/her, "um, well, if they have a problem, they need to come to me."

Imagine how it would look if you went back and said, "I heard you were talking behind my back." Even if they were, it sounds so high school. You be the adult and not worry about it.

You'll be a better teacher for it.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I've been teaching for 20 something years and one of the great insights that I have come across in terms of human nature is....people are wierd. Let her talk. You should just keep trying to learn more about your craft every year. Attend a conference, read a new book, and keep trying to educate yourself as much as possible. People who talk trash behind other people's backs are generally feeling insecure and need to do this in order to build themselves up.

(psssst: Methinks "Years" and "Teachers" above don't need no apostrophes.)

• Senior Minion

My wife puts up with that everyday. It happens in any workplace, forum, etc. It's really interesting what she goes through as a teacher.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

Since I have many family & friends who are teachers, this is all I have to say. Wow, how do you get anytime to hear gossip? They overwork and underpaid you and many times you don't have much time to eat or use the restroom.

I LOVE teachers

It is the most important and hardest job. They should get paid what pro athletes & stars do.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

Thanks everyone for the advice and words of wisdom. In the end the only thing that matters is the kids and giving them the edge in life needed to survive and be productive members of society, right? And to be able to enjoy life and visit Disneyland $$$$$$. I teach in a very poverty area where some of the 6th graders only heard of Disneyland and never been.

I too get the troubled children and deal with it in class but as long as you are documenting anything of 'importance' then the gossip cannot say that they are slipping through the cracks.

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    I teach in a very poverty area where some of the 6th graders only heard of Disneyland and never been.
    You don't teach English, do you?

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• insufferable know-it-all

Dude, you guys are being mean. He's probably a math or science teacher.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
    • debating what to put here

It wasn't my intent to be mean, and if it came across that way, I apologize. I did find the posts to be a bit alarming though.

I don't believe a K-6 teacher actually teaches specific subjects, do they? Aren't they responsible for teaching all of the subjects and therefore, have to be somewhat well-rounded? If that is the case, I would assume that he does, in fact, teach basic english.

Regardless, I find teaching to be one of the most admirable professions there is. And anyone who chooses to go into that career has my respect, including the OP.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast