Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Welcome to the Southern California Fire Season: Please send rain

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    Wow PV you were closer than me!

Update from 11:00 News:

San Bernardino county has now declared a state of emergency. The fire has been named the "Sawtooth Complex" fire. Smoke was even seen in Las Vegas this afternoon from the fire. The fire has currently consumed over 17,000 acres and is still 0% contained. There have been at least 30 "structures" that have been lost, several of them homes. There are over 2500 firefighters here now, but they are fighting against not only the fire but winds still gusting up to almost 20 MPH. The good news is there have only been 8 fire related injuries, and all of them have been minor.
    Penguin - obviously, all of my thoughts and prayers go out to you and all of the brave men and women fighting the fires.

It's just all part of living in Southern California, unfortunately.

Personal note...I worked in Palm Springs radio as a newsman for two years back in the early 80's...and I was surprised that during the summer, at least then, it really wasn't a "dry" heat (LOL) after all. You'd have temperatures of 120, and late afternoon thunderstorms with the rain sizzling on the pavement and evaporating as soon as it hit.

And one "lightning strike" brush fire after another.

Having said that, I know a lot of wildfires are started by sparks from passing cars and lightning and such...but IMHO most are started by arsonists...and by IDIOTS like the ones last week that started two or three fires in SoCal with those infernal, er, inferno, fireworks.

I say throw the book at those IMBECILES.

And again my prayers to you and your community, Penguin.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

I'm serious when i say this..

You need a Tropical storm there... FLA's fires left after that thing his the entire state with many inches of rain....

Stay safe...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Thank you Barry for the thoughts and prayers! I agree with you... people who start fires need to be punished. Not much we can do about "acts of God." Like you said, its part of being in California, like the earthquakes.

I remember those summer desert storms we use to get... We haven't had any of those to speak of for the last couple of years. Has much as the firefighters could use some rain about now, the thunderstorms they are predicting for this coming weekend won't help if all we get out of them is more lightning and new fires.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

where I live we have just hit the THREE HUNDRED mark..... that's 300 DAYS without any rain. It's BONE dry here, so dry that a town a few hoursa from us has ran out of water. They have cut the supply from the dam, because the dams dry!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• I Love Teaching!

Good Luck! We really need some rain!

• Senior Minion

We have the same problem here every year up here in Del Puerto Canyon, in fact here it is. http://www.modbee.com/local/story/12...13157826c.html
    This happens every year. One time I was one a training ride up here and almost got caught in it. They brought in some prisoners to try breaking it up last year. The air is so bad right now.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Latest update I could find on the fire:

• Over 25,000 acres burned so far
    • More than 30 homes and other buildings destroyed
    • Only 16% contained (you need to have 75% containment to declare any sort of "control" over a wildfire)
    • Lots of mandatory evacuations: Little Morongo, Pioneertown, Rim Rock, Gamma Gulch, etc.

This is a bad one kids. Its now buring at the northern base of the San Bernardino mountains. Hopefully they can keep it from burning up the mountain, because that entire back side didn't burn a few years ago... and now its nothing but dead, dry pine trees and sap. It'll be a complete inferno if the mountain goes up again.

Penguin, are you still around? Can you give us an update on your and your family's situation now?

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Penguin, are you still around? Can you give us an update on your and your family's situation now?
    Yes, please!! Penguin - please check in!!!

I hope you're indoors with some air filtration and such.

Anyone up for a rain dance?? We seriously need a powwow.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I snapped a couple of picture of the smoke from the San bernardino side of the mountains:

I am really hopeful that they will get it before it gets closer to Big Bear.

The year of all the wild fires we has one close to home, as well as the one that came too close for comfort to my work. We had a small one on the north end of the mountains behind our house. A couple of kids playing with fireworks.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I Hug My Tapirs

This sounds like a bad one. Hope you're going okay, penguin!

Definitely brings back memories of October 2003. If you look at the Cedar Fire that we had here in San Diego, my place was literally right at the farthest point west. It was a bit of a shocker to walk outside that morning and see 50-foot flames shooting into the air just a black from my apartment.

I volunteer at the California Wolf Center out in Julian (northeast San Diego County)... being right on the edge of Anza-Borrego, they've been hit hard by two major fires in the last four years (Pines and Cedar). We've been in full brush-clearance mode over the last few months, and have out fingers crossed that we won't get anything nasty this fire season...
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• /sigh

Maybe we can anger the gods with celebrating and bring on a rain storm.

Hope you're doing ok Peng!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Banned User

Penguin, please let us know you are alright. I am praying they can contain it. I am worried about you and the folks this may harm. please keep us updated ok

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole

Still here!! Sorry for not checking in sooner.... I've been watching the news, running around, on the phone and taking pictures... Just got back from spending some time watching the choppers pick up water from one of the recharge basins. Really interesting!! I have some more pictures, and will post a few and try to get my smugmug album set up so I can put the link in for the rest of the pics after dinner.

Thankfully I'm about 3-4 miles from the closest part where the fire tried to come over the ridge into the country club/golf course. The wind has continued to play a factor up here. It is blowing mostly to the northeast, so it is keeping most of the smoke away from where I am.

It has now consumed about 35,000 acres by the latest estimate, but thankfully there have been no houses/structures that have been lost in the last 12 or so hours. Injurys have been about 9 total, all minor so far. But containment is still somewhere between 0% and 16% depending on what news you watch.

You know its wonderful to be famous.... but not this way. To many people have lost everything they own, and I heard in the store that some people lost some of their animals.... The best part so far is that no body has lost their life in this thing....

Thanks to all for the interest and concern!! La Casa Penguin is doing fine, just sitting back and watching it happen around me!!!

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You want rain? You can GLADY take the downpours that occur between 2-4pm EVERY FRICKIN' DAY here during July & August. I want my sun and blue sky!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

One quick pic before I go... coz this just looks so totally amazing to me..

This is what I saw coming home from the store about 3 this afternoon. The shot is facing somewhat southeast, toward what is Morongo Valley, and farther to the left hand side of the pic over the mountain... Palm Springs. This is about 2 blocks from where I turn to the left to go up to get to my house.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast