Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Welcome to the Southern California Fire Season: Please send rain

Ok... one more... this is from my front yard at about the same time.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    One quick pic before I go... coz this just looks so totally amazing to me..

This is what I saw coming home from the store about 3 this afternoon. The shot is facing somewhat southeast, toward what is Morongo Valley, and farther to the left hand side of the pic over the mountain... Palm Springs. This is about 2 blocks from where I turn to the left to go up to get to my house.
    Wow!!! That is scary looking!! If i get any rain, I will ask it to turn back around and head your way...you need it more than we do! Stay safe and keep checking in with us!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    This sounds like a bad one. Hope you're going okay, penguin!

Definitely brings back memories of October 2003. If you look at the Cedar Fire that we had here in San Diego, my place was literally right at the farthest point west. It was a bit of a shocker to walk outside that morning and see 50-foot flames shooting into the air just a black from my apartment.

I volunteer at the California Wolf Center out in Julian (northeast San Diego County)... being right on the edge of Anza-Borrego, they've been hit hard by two major fires in the last four years (Pines and Cedar). We've been in full brush-clearance mode over the last few months, and have out fingers crossed that we won't get anything nasty this fire season...

Oh I remember that one. My daughter is down in Vista in San Diego Co. They only got some of the smoke but that was one of the worst fire seasons California has seen in a while!

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Glad to hear you're okay penguin!

So sad about the homes lost and the animals on the ranches. 9 injuries is pretty good for a fire this size.

Those poor firefighters though. I hope they're bringing in some reinforcements from other states!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

So is this also the season where allergies are high in California (Since you don't get much rain to pound them back into the ground)?

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

It my understaning that we have firefighters here from Nevada and all over California. But again, it depends on which station you listen to. The latest count is somewhere around 47 homes distroyed. But... still no fatalities and thats a wonderous thing.

I think the people who fight these fires deserve 8X as much money as they get paid. Putting their lifes on the line, with all the equipment they have to carry, and doing it in temps approaching 105 or better. The area where most of the fire is burning is rugged back country, and they have to do a lot of the fighting on foot. Its inaccessable to vehicles, and a lot of it is in canyons and gullys.

Ok, I have all my pics I've taken so far in smugmug. If you want to see all of them, here's the link, hope it works:

http://penguinsoda.smugmug.com/gallery/1660133

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

I added some photos from the Desert Sun to my album (credit to the photographers who took them). Wow... just... wow...

They have some spectacular shots. www.desertsun.com.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda
    I think the people who fight these fires deserve 8X as much money as they get paid. Putting their lifes on the line, with all the equipment they have to carry, and doing it in temps approaching 105 or better. The area where most of the fire is burning is rugged back country, and they have to do a lot of the fighting on foot. Its inaccessable to vehicles, and a lot of it is in canyons and gullys.
    Whole-heartedly agree. They're just about as heroic as it gets, really. The number of lives they save in the course of doing their job is amazing, not to mention that they're in the business of saving peoples' livelihoods.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Iron-Clad Allie

I just hope the wind doesn't change direction, and that you have an emergency plan should those in your direct be asked to take precautionary measures and vacate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears like almost all of the 17,000 acres consumed are rural. It's sad to lose all that land, even if this is the case, and there are few injuries as well as minimal structural damage.

Stay safe, pengy. The local fire fighters and their reinforcements must be zapped. Where are the flash floods when you need them!?!
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-12-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Morning update..

Looks like its closing in on 40,000 acres now. To answer RW's question, pretty much all over the high desert where I live is "rural." But seriously, yes, the area where the fire is burning in not densely populated. Even where the highest concentration of homes are, they are build usually on acreage, not lots.

I think so far they have lost some 40 homes and 80 vehicles but the injury count remains low, about 10 people and all injurys are still minor.

The morning when I first got up there was not even a breeze blowing. This is wonderful news for the firefighters, they hopefully will be able to make some major headway because of this. The down side is I could really smell the smoke this morning, but thats a minor annoyance compared to losing everything you own.

Up to this point there very few people I knew personally who were affected by this fire. But a friend lives very close to the Rimrock area that had mandatory evacuations. Actually he lives almost have way up the back way to Big Bear, on a tiny dirt road only accessible by 4 wheel drive, and even then its pretty rough in places.

As of last night, they could see the flames on the ridge above them, but had not seen any firefighters or air support in their area. Now the people who live up there live there for a reason. They like the total peace and quiet, they want to be away from civilization, and they don't want their closest neighbor to be less than 4 miles away.... (with all the building they've been doing around here, I have to admit that life style was looking pretty good to me).

But... if you make a choice to live like that, it does come with a price. When the fire got out of control it moved very quickly, and decisions had to be made on the best course of action to take with the resources available. The firefighters first priority had to be to contain and control the part of the fire that was threatening the most densely populated areas first. Try to keep it from moving into Yucca, Morongo, and Landers..... and unfortunately that meant that some of the outlying area with fewer people had to be put at the bottom of the priority list. Thats no consolation for the people up there I know but...

Our friend could very well lose every thing he owns, we won't know probably for a while what has happened. He and another friend had taken what they could, and were going to be camping in one of the canyons toward Big Bear.

Don't worry about me RW, I'm high on the south side of town, and right now the only way I would be in any danger would be if the wind started blowing from the north, picked up some embers and started another fire behind me.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    So is this also the season where allergies are high in California (Since you don't get much rain to pound them back into the ground)?
    Yes! E-ticket is sneezing up a storm. He always get's it every summer, although this summer isn't as bad for him as prior years.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• decorating

I've been staring at the cloud since yesterday ( I live in Mentone.)

The Grand Prix fire was the scariest thing I've seen.
    (For those not familiar with SoCal, the Inland Empire is surrounded by mountains- the grand Prix burned arounda almost half of the valley, including national forests.)
    I went with a visiting friend into higher San Bernardino to look for a friend she wasn't answering her cell and my buddy wanted to see if she had evacuated yet.
    My guy had to take my car into work- I had SO much ash in the fan.
    I remember seeing the tired firefighters on the side of the road as we went out at 1 am with my gear to see how close I could get (no dice, no press pass cause I'm freelance)
    My thoughts are with the firefighters and their families, as well as those that live near the fire.

• most magical vaca ever

Wish I could send some of the weeks worth of rain we had recently to you guys!!!

Stay safe!
    ~~~~~~

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I found a link that includes a map showing the estimated perimeter of the fire. The link states that the fire is moving northward and eastward. I hope the winds don't shift the fire westward.

http://www.rimoftheworld.net/columns...9fb8bd7edd0eb0
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast