Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Southern California Fire Season: Please send rain

So this afternoon I was getting ready to meet a friend for lunch (second time this week already, I'm such a social butterfly), when my husband calls from work and says:

"Ok, what did you set on fire this time?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Look outside."

So I go out in front of the house, and this is what I see.

Whoa... Now, they have been working on a fire in this area for the last two or so days, and were expecting 100% containment by this evening.

That was before the wind picked up. What was a 600 acre fire mostly contained no structures threatened has now turned into over 1000 acres with evacuations in progress.

Thankfully, it looks much closer to me in the above picture than it actually is. But what started out as an annoyance is now actually threatening peoples homes.

On my way to lunch, I figured I'd get a shot or two of exactly where it is to show my daughter...

My friend and I had an interesting lunch to say the least. We sat in Carrows on the highway and watched as about every 5 minutes some kind of emergency vehicle drove by. Just before we left, 6 fire trucks in a row (some from Rialto, Moreno Valley etc), went by. We weren't sure which fire they were going to, has there was also a fire in Joshua Tree Park (which is 100% contained now to my understanding), because the emergency vehicles were going both east and west.

Nothing like a little adreneline with our sandwich.

After I left I wanted to get a few more shots. In high school I was one of the yearbook photographers, so when stuff is going on, I want to be nosy and get pictures of it!

Looking northwest up toward Pioneer Town (one of the places Mac visited when she was here).

Thankfully no sign of actual fire over on our side of the mountain...yet.

Even with the wind, the choppers are still flying.

One of the Palm Springs news crews up to check it all out.

The Elks Lodge has now become one of the staging grounds....

On my way back home. Eerily beautiful the billowing smoke is, if not for the destruction and threat of hazard to life the fire that created it causes.

So, those of us here in So Cal... remember its been really dry this year. The fire danger is extremely high. If you are one of the many people who live in an area that has the potential for brush fires, be sure you are prepared. Make sure the brush and vegetation is cleared from your property. Have an escape route and an evacuation plan in place in case. Keep a copy of emergency information in your car. (Living with earthquakes to we should all do this anyway.)

Be safe out there.... We need to keep all our MiceChat friends together!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

Re: Welcome to the Southern California Fire Season: Please send rain

wow I was one who believed the desert where you live could never have fires. that looks serious. I will send my prayers out to you Sweetie.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Fudge!!!!

Our wedding location sits one of the "Hot Zones" that burned a few years back during that "fiery" October. I've been praying hard for a wet season. The last thing I need is a smoke-filled, burned-down ranch.

If people are being careless with cigarettes, campfires, or fireworks, I'm gonna open a can of whoop-***!!

• Still wants to be a cat!

Take care Penguin, crossing fingers that the fire stays far away from any homes or structures!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Just wait a couple more months when the Santa Anas kick into high gear

Dphile I thought about that when I saw the map to your wedding location. Lets hope nothing happens in that area.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Man, those pictures bring back baaaaaad memories of that October a few years ago. I worked in Redlands when that happened, and I had a clear view of Big Bear and the city of San Bernardino from my office window. We didn't get much work done for a few days, we just watched the mountain and the city burn. My daughter's school was closed for three days because of the massive amounts of ash falling, and the fires were so bright that it lit up the night sky like fireworks.

Scary indeed. I'm more worried about wildfire in Southern California than I am about earthquakes.

We had a pretty wet winter (lots of foliage growth), and unfortunately are experiencing a hotter than normal summer (now all that growth is tinder). Unless we get some rain early in the Fall, it looks like it'll be another bad fire season.

Here's to hoping we all stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Update from the Palm Springs 6:00 news:

The original fire was started by a lightning strike. It is now totally out of control, 0% contained and has consumed a minimum of 6000-8000 acres. (Possably larger) There have been 7 structures distroyed, but its unknown at this time what those structures where... if they were homes, barns, or what. Two fire fighters have been treated for minor injuries, and 3 or 4 civilians. At this point the historic buildings in Pioneertown have been spared, but if the wind shifts.... The high school here in town is one of the evacuation centers, and they are using the Black Rock Canyon facility in the Park for the evacuation of any animals. Many people in that area have livestock, both horses and cattle.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers to the people who live up there. There are not a lot of them, but they are spread out over a large area and its very rugged and hard to get to some of the places.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Senior Minion

You are in my thoughts and prayers. If I could, i'd send some of the rain we got today (lots of big downpours) you're way.
    Let's hope it gets contained, and fast.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Heres a shot of the actual fire, from the Desert Sun Website. (Yes Karla, the desert does burn thanks for the thoughts) About now they will lose the support of the aircraft, as they have to land around dusk for safety reasons. Now it will be up to the ground crews to try to control and contain the blaze through the night.

If you're of the persuasion... those are the men and women who will really need our thoughts and prayers over the next 12 or so hours.....

• Minion

We had a fire here too last year
    Came right up to my street, ill see if I have a pic
    I hope your house is ok penguin

• love my friends

is this near your house.. hope not

Friends for life

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

First off, I didn't realize you were in Palm Springs! The deserts is surprisingly big.

Yikes, that's creepy, seeing that smoke.

I wish we could help...we are stuck in a serious deluge in these parts, and I'm not sure as to why. We've had 9 days of storms. Only yesterday did we have sun come morn, but it turned cloudy by midafternoon. If I had the power, the water would be your way and I could walk the dog again.

We were having a dry season until then as well.

Peace out, I hope, and know you have support in these parts.
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Its actually several miles from my house at this point. So thankfully my property is safe. Thank you all for thinking of me!

My daughters best friends uncle however lost several pieces of equipment for his business and is currently from what I heard at his house standing his ground trying to keep the fire from actually taking his house....

We are still having wind gusts up to 25 MPH, blowing mostly to the east (away from me) and a few minutes ago a friend called and said the estimate is up to 16,000 acres now. Several houses have been totally distroyed. I'll watch the 11:00 news to see if there is anything new.

• Minion

We had a fire around my house last summer

This is from my window, i know what your going through
    Thankfully we weren't evacuated but that was one scary weekend

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Wow PV you were closer than me!

Update from 11:00 News:

San Bernardino county has now declared a state of emergency. The fire has been named the "Sawtooth Complex" fire. Smoke was even seen in Las Vegas this afternoon from the fire. The fire has currently consumed over 17,000 acres and is still 0% contained. There have been at least 30 "structures" that have been lost, several of them homes. There are over 2500 firefighters here now, but they are fighting against not only the fire but winds still gusting up to almost 20 MPH. The good news is there have only been 8 fire related injuries, and all of them have been minor.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast