Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

parking lot stress

Does anyone else ever get stressed out while trying to park your car and you can't find anywhere to park. It's been brought to my attention that I freak out while parking frequently. I've established that it's because I feel trapped in the car. I have somewhere to be, but I can't get there because I'm stuck inside the car until I can find a spot to park. I have no issues when I'm in the passenger seat, since I can just get out of the car and the car is the problem of the person driving.

It's sort of a claustrophobic feeling of being trapped.

Does anyone else feel like this? Any suggestions as to how I can avoid this feeling, other than not driving, since I love to drive.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Monorail Racer

Re: parking lot stress

No, I've never actually felt this myself, but I can understand why you would feel this way. It's a little bit like how passengers feel on the plane after it's landed, but hasn't reached the gate yet. It feels like you're there already and having to park (or wait to reach the airport gate) just feels like you're being delayed. Having to hunt for a parking spot doesn't help matters.

I would suggest that just by being aware of it, you're off to a good start at trying to conquer it. If it's for an appointment or a particular time, perhaps it would help to arrive a little bit early and allow time to search for a spot? Maybe being willing to park further away to find a spot more quickly would help, too?
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

That's usually what I do- look for a space far away from the door. Nobody wants to park out there so there's usually something available.

If it's really crowded, you're stuck, just breathe.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• insufferable know-it-all

I absolutely hate circling to find "the best" parking spot. Drives me nuts even in someone else's car. I'll give good spots one try and then I head straight to the back of the lot.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The Unknown Princess

One thing I do when I have anxiety attacks (which can happen when I'm in the car) is turn the A/C or Vent on High. Sometimes the extra air helps. If you have no A/C or vent, opening the windows getting more air in can help.

I also prefer to pasture park (parking where there are no other cars) a lot of times because it would take more time for me to circle and circle to find a close stall than it would be to park farther and walk.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Senior Minion

I've got that problem at school. I have a parking pass that only allows me to park in certain colors zones, and so i choose the one close to the hall for my classes, and it's side-street parking. I tried to park next to the 'ramp' to get into a parking lot of another color, figuring no one else can park behind me, that way i have a garunteed way out. Not so. People will park there, and when i see that im blocked in, i freak out. I've been bumper to bumper blocked in.
    Parking lots get to me, even more so in the winter and rainy seasons when the grouund is slick or hasn't been plowed. Then, I have to drive extra-slow and the school parking lot is never plowed and i have a fear of getting a ticket for parking wrong when i have no where else to park, and the lines aren't visable. It gets worse when it's a school campus parking lot, i swear, or the mall during holiday sales.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

I never circle parking lots--I just go straight to the farthest spots and park. It just wastes too much time and gas to drive around, the exercise doesn't hurt me and it lessens the chances of my car getting dinged by a careless person. It seems like if I do park close, I end up getting hemmed in between two gigantic SUVs and then have a devil of a time trying to back out.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

it's not that I circle parking lots looking for openings. I'm talking about just being in a parking lot trying to park anywhere. I realize many times you can park far away without a problem, but for instance, my apartment complex, there is hardly any parking and frequently there are no places to park. I'm at my apartment complex, but can't go home, because I'm stuck with a car that I can't park anywhere. That's more the type of situation I'm talking about.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I only ge stressed out trying to park if I'm in a hurry to be somewhere. Normally if I find a good parking spot ont he first try... great! Otherwise I park further back. I don't mind waking as I know I can use the exercise.

But when I go grocery shopping I always make sure I get a spot relatively close to one of the cart corrals.

• no flash photography...

no, I don't feel that way. Parking doesn't bother me...oh, excoet once. the parking garage at a hotel in sandiego was so tiny and the parking spaces so tight I thought for sure I would hit something. Also, everytime i turned the ground would squeak really loud. They had some kind of shalaq or something covering the cement. I hated that place. ...traffic deosn't bother me either...idiot drivers i find mildly irrataing if they are away from me, but if the y are close to me and they do somethign that could hit me...then I use a few choice words....LOL

Anders, I wish I had some advice for you. That does sound like a stressful situation. I guess just take a deep breath and hope the parking gods are kind.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• All you need is LOVE

Okay, now not being able to park at your own apartment complex would be mighty frustrating. There is a very large condo complex near us and we have noticed a lot of cars parking on the busy street outside the complex. Apparently, there are not enough parking spots and garages inside the complex, and the overflow park outside. I think with rent being so crazy expensive these days, multiple families are sharing one unit, which adds up to more cars.

• Circle of Ancients

I kind of felt like this today.

I had ALOT of running around to do and little time to do it. It seemed EVERYWHERE I went had at least 1/2 of the parking lot closed for repaving ... this was 3 different shopping centers. I was totally frustrated.

But it's not a normal thing. I get stressed when I'm a passenger in a car ... no matter who is driving. I guess I like to be in control.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I get stressed when I'm a passenger in a car ... no matter who is driving. I guess I like to be in control.
    me too...I always volunteer to drive...unless I'm really tired and I know I will fall asleep anyway...then I'm just sleepiong and not stressing over every litle thing...LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast