• Banned User

need help with sunscreens for very alergic boy

I am desperate!! as some of you know my son has a very alergic body. I have tried every sunscreen there is on the market, it does not work, in fact he breaks out so bad with hives from them. Do any of you know what is a good kind that he can use? thanks much

I edited this long post,
    Last edited by Hakuna Makarla; 07-14-2006 at 08:44 AM.

• For You!

Re: need help with sunscreens for very alergic boy

I know there are a bunch of supposedly completely organic sunscreens in health food stores, but I've never tried them. My boys, while not at your son's level, have really bad eczema and we have to try to use non-fragrance lotions and sunscreens. I finally found a lotion called hempz that we really like, but not a really good sunscreen. I like no-ad, but I don't think it's non-allergenic. Also, there are websites - like goaskalice.com that could have some answers.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• For You!

I just thought of something else - is he allergic to zinc oxide? My dad usually gets bad sun reactions on his face, and zinc oxide usually completely blocks out sun - you may remember this from a while back as all the skiers used it and it had a ton of colors.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    I just thought of something else - is he allergic to zinc oxide? My dad usually gets bad sun reactions on his face, and zinc oxide usually completely blocks out sun - you may remember this from a while back as all the skiers used it and it had a ton of colors.
    I will go look at the site you posted. we did try zinc, but he can not stand anything creamy on his face he goes bolistic
    we have tried everything on the market, and we really want to get out to play, but we are mostly stuck inside unless we find a park, or some where with lots of shade and tree's. we are heading to washington in 2 weeks to silverwood, we really need something badly.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Have you tried Neutragena products? They're usually very good on sensitive skin.

I know it doesn't help with your WA trip, but I would definitely suggest talking to your son's pediatrician. They can do allergy tests to determin exactly what ingredient is causing the problem and make suggestions to work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    Have you tried Neutragena products? They're usually very good on sensitive skin.

I know it doesn't help with your WA trip, but I would definitely suggest talking to your son's pediatrician. They can do allergy tests to determin exactly what ingredient is causing the problem and make suggestions to work around it.
    we did the neutragena this last week, it was difinalty a no go. he broke out terrible. we had him tested, long story the darn alergist did not test him for this and then when we needed him to again, he retired darn him. His excuse, oh well I do not have the testing here to do the test today, but make a new apointment and I will do it next visit. Then they called he retired.
    and he came from out of town, we do not have a alergist in town .

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Have you seen this website for Blue Lizard?
    http://www.crownlaboratories.com/bluelizard/why.html
    They say it's the chemicals that people react to. That means he'd be better off with a zinc oxide or titanium dioxide sunscreen. You said he didn't like the zinc oxide. I just bought Neutrogena sensitive skin sunscreen that's all titanium dioxide. It doesn't feel like a cream. It feels very dry very quickly and it's not at all greasy. It doesn't give me that blocked-pore feeling.

Fluffy Club Member

My husband used to break out with little red bumps when he used sunscreen. We tried many kinds and the one he doesn't seem to be allergic to is Body Guard. They sell it at dermadoctor.com. Maybe it will work for your son. Good luck!