• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

A Belated Salute To A Great Anniversary In History

I know it's been 37 years. I know that there are probably more people that have been born since Sunday, July 20, 1969 than before (that are still alive today)...certainly among those old enough to remember the events of that historic day.

Now, I don't even know if it rated a mention in the newscasts and such of Thursday, July 20, 2006.

But I remember exactly where I was on the day of July 20,1969 when the "Eagle", the lunar module from Apollo 11, landed in the Sea of Tranquility...and we had fulfilled President Kennedy's promise that would would land a man, on the moon, before that decade was out.

And at 7:56 PM Pacific Time on that summer Sunday evening, I was a 13-year old boy, watching transfixed with my Mom and Dad in Cypress, California (Orange County) as Neil Armstrong, and later Buzz Aldrin, became the first men to walk on the surface of the moon. What a tremendous day that was.

And I remember watching scenes of crowds gathered at Disneyland that day, watching the unfolding events on large screens in the Tomorrowland area.

What a day that was. And I just couldn't let it pass without some remembrance.

If you are old enough to remember, where were you?
    By chance were you at Disneyland that day or know anyone who was?

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-21-2006 at 12:28 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: A Belated Salute To A Great Anniversary In History

I remember that. My son was not quite 2 years old. I was home in my apartment with my husband and son watching as Walter Cronkite reported the event.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

It seems like everyone watched the CBS coverage with Walter Cronkite and Wally Schirra. (There were two other networks covering it as well.) Actually, I did peek at NBC and ABC occasionally when my folks were out of the room. While many people on our block had console color tv's by then, we watched this history unfold on a 13" portable black and white.

People back then assumed that there would be regular flghts to the moon by now, and humans living there and on other planets possibly...sometimes things change faster than we think they will, but other times they don't.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I remember vividly watching this historic event. We had gone out to some friends place just to have a party and gather around the tv. It was a little black and white tv (but then the pictures coming back were too), and I remember all the kids sitting cross legged on the floor, and all the adults gathered in chairs around us.

It was a magic time. The promise of future travel into outer space made anything seem possible!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.