• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Homeless man receives $4,000 for honesty~~Associated Press~~July 25, 2006

From: http://news.bostonherald.com/nationa...ticleid=149872

Homeless man receives $4,000 for honesty
    By Associated Press
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - Updated: 04:33 PM EST

DETROIT - A homeless man who returned $21,000 worth of saving bonds he found in a trash bin is finding out how much honesty can pay off.
    Charles Moore, 59, had been searching for returnable bottles last week when he came across the 31 U.S. savings bonds. He turned them in to a homeless shelter, where a staff member tracked down the family of the man who had owned them.
    For his good deed, the bond owner’s son gave Moore $100, but residents around Michigan and in other states decided his action merited a more generous reward.
    So far, Moore has received over $4,000.
    One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins. Three others gave a combined $2,500, and two businessmen from Troy donated $1,200, a shopping spree and a lead on a job.
    “I was thankful for it,” said Moore, who had lost his roofing job in Ohio and moved back to Michigan but couldn’t find work.
    Moore said he plans to use the money to find an apartment.
    David C. Smith, of Albuquerque, N.M., gave Moore $1,000. Smith said he and his fiancee wouldn’t have thought twice about what to do if the bonds had belonged to them.
    “We would have given him the whole amount, period,” Smith said. “No questions asked.”

• Artsy Fartsy

Re: Homeless man receives $4,000 for honesty~~Associated Press~~July 25, 2006

I always say honesty is the best policy I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so too.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler

So far, Moore has received over $4,000.
    One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins. Three others gave a combined $2,500, and two businessmen from Troy donated $1,200, a shopping spree and a lead on a job.

That was really nice of them..
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Talk about being in the right place at the right time.

• I'm your huckleberry.

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it DW!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

I have always believed you give what you get. I never keep extra change given to me, nor do I take what is not mine. I believe in honesty, and thank god so did this man. this story brought tears to my eyes, and made my day!!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

It's nice to see that there is some good left in the world....
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• That Guy

What kind of cheap S.O.B. is the owner of the bonds, to only give the guy $100? What an insult. Geesh.

It's great the community pulled together to help this person out.

Never forget how much good there is in this world. Any person here would have turned in those bonds too, so don't sell the world short. There are plenty of pricks, but lots of good people too.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    What kind of cheap S.O.B. is the owner of the bonds, to only give the guy $100? What an insult. Geesh.
    Exactly. He should have invested it wisely for him. :P (Actually not a bad idea when I think about it).

Then again, what can be said about a guy that loses $21,000 worth of saving bonds he found in a trash bin!!!
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

It's great the community pulled together to help this person out.

Never forget how much good there is in this world. Any person here would have turned in those bonds too, so don't sell the world short. There are plenty of pricks, but lots of good people too.
    you know I was thinking this my self. I bet people are really letting the guy know what and SOB he is for being a cheap arse. Can you believe it, you get all your money back, ( and that was such a long shot that it ever be found! ) and you give the poor guy 100 dollars. What a real winner he is. what goes around comes around, ~~

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

It's nice that he got something than just $100, and that he is using it to put his life back together.