Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: President Bush signs the "Adam Walsh Bill", protecta children/is harsher on predators

Yeah but sometimes the police aren't all the good at keeping track of these predators either. I think the public has the right to be informed.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Re: President Bush signs the "Adam Walsh Bill", protecta children/is harsher on preda

I wonder if this bill is the same as a bill that was just passed and signed into law here in Georgia that is absolutely stupid (and is being challenged in court and rightfully so)? Here's why it is so wrong.

Let's say you, as a teenager, had sex with someone that was underage. No matter what you have done since that point you are labled a "Sexual predator" for the rest of your life and cannot live withint 1,000 feet of a school bus stop, school, church, etc.

I have a problem with some other related laws. In some states you have to be nice to women because they can absloutly ruin your life legally. In several states the accusation of rape or Sexual Harassment puts you on that "list" for life (even if you were acquitted of the charge). I remember hearing of these laws during the Kobe trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Re: President Bush signs the "Adam Walsh Bill", protecta children/is harsher on predators

I personally belive that if you are convicted of murder, rape, pedophilia, you should be ground into hamburger and and fed to dogs.

It does two things, one: it prevents repeat offences, and two: it sends a message to others inclined of committing the heinous acts

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: President Bush signs the "Adam Walsh Bill", protecta children/is harsher on preda

Federal Legislation is no replacement for REAL parenting. And I feel sorry for the children of people who think it is.

Worried about online predators, watch what your kids do online. I've got friends who let their 12 year olds have MySpace accounts exactly because they spend hours on it and it keeps "the kids out of my hair". We talked about it and decided our kids can have their own MySpace accounts when they move out and can pay for their own internet. Till then all computer time is out in the open (there are no computers, TVs or telephones in their bedrooms and never will be) and only when we're here to watch them.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm
    I personally belive that if you are convicted of murder, rape, pedophilia, you should be ground into hamburger and and fed to dogs.

It does two things, one: it prevents repeat offences, and two: it sends a message to others inclined of committing the heinous acts
    I ABSOLUTELY agree with this statement. Why even give them a second chance to do it again. Some things there should be no cure, treatment nor therapy for. Sexually abusing children should top that list.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Federal Legislation is no replacement for REAL parenting. And I feel sorry for the children of people who think it is.

Worried about online predators, watch what your kids do online. I've got friends who let their 12 year olds have MySpace accounts exactly because they spend hours on it and it keeps "the kids out of my hair". We talked about it and decided our kids can have their own MySpace accounts when they move out and can pay for their own internet. Till then all computer time is out in the open (there are no computers, TVs or telephones in their bedrooms and never will be) and only when we're here to watch them.
    Monitoring what your child does on the net does not exactly keep them safe from predators. Kids can always be kidnapped in public places like the store, school bus stopping area, etc. even if they have not chatted with anyone who can be considered a sexual predator on the net. Heck I read that studies have shown, most of the time, children are kidnapped by relatives & family friends, someone who they trust!

On top of that, what if there was a convicted sex offender living right down the street? I think parents should definatly know about him/her.

Monitoring what your child does on the net is a good idea, but it is also a parents responsibility to make sure that their neighborhood is safe from predators.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 07-29-2006 at 08:52 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper
    I wonder if this bill is the same as a bill that was just passed and signed into law here in Georgia that is absolutely stupid (and is being challenged in court and rightfully so)? Here's why it is so wrong.

Let's say you, as a teenager, had sex with someone that was underage. No matter what you have done since that point you are labled a "Sexual predator" for the rest of your life and cannot live withint 1,000 feet of a school bus stop, school, church, etc.

I have a problem with some other related laws. In some states you have to be nice to women because they can absloutly ruin your life legally. In several states the accusation of rape or Sexual Harassment puts you on that "list" for life (even if you were acquitted of the charge). I remember hearing of these laws during the Kobe trial.
    I agree Bopper, but as the saying goes "With the good comes the bad." Meaning that the law is designed with good intentions in mind, but it also has bad parts that have never been ironed out in congress. But atleast parents now have something they can look at when it comes to knowing about any local predators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12