Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

New York Here I come!!

Hey All,
    On Thursday night I am taking "The Red Eye" (what a scary term, great movie though) to New york with my (bleh) Grandparents, who are nice..but you know..they are grandparents. Anywho, we are going to be in New York City for a few days and then go upstate to visit her friends (who have their own lake and chocolate factory!). We don't have much planned for the days we are spening in the city, except the usual. Walking around, Statue of Liberty, Niagra Falls ect. but what else is their to do? Is Coney Island any good? We are seeing Conan I think on one night so thats exiteing, but I'm not looking foward much to anything else. And to make it worse, I hate flying, anyways, any suggestions?
    Last edited by pveticket; 07-30-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Re: New York Here I come!!

What is niagram? Central park is neat, Broadway shows are great, try to get mugged in a subway, grand central station, the list is endless really.....
    You live in scranton, isn't it just a couple hours drive?

• Minion

haha, no I don't live in Scranton, i'm just a big office fan
    I mispelled Niagra, thats what Nigram is

• there's always my way...

I would love to go to NY! Its on my places to do list. I hear the best time to go is the fall. Maybe next year.
    Come to the dark side,
    we have cookies.

• MC State Comptroller

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    Hey All,
    On Thursday night I am taking "The Red Eye" (what a scary term, great movie though) to New york with my (bleh) Grandparents, who are nice..but you know..they are grandparents... We are seeing Conan I think on one night so thats exiteing, but I'm not looking foward much to anything else. And to make it worse, I hate flying, anyways, any suggestions?
    Your Grandparents are taking you to Conan and you say their bleh?!?!?!?

Both sets of my GP's are passed, but if they took me to Conan they would not be bleh in my eyes. They would be real cool people!!!!

But to answer your questions, you should go to http://www.broadway.com and see about getting show tickets. There is nothing like seeing a show on "The Great White Way". There are a ton of shows to see and broadway.com has synopsis of each of them. Some suggestions, "Jersey Boys" would be something that i think both you and your GP's will love, depending on your age "Avenue Q" is hillarious, "Tarzan" is new so is "The Wedding Singer".

The World Trade Center memorial is nice to see, but very sad. Eat at the Hard Rock. Go watch them film "The Today Show".

There are tons of things to do in NY. Have fun and be safe!!!
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sgtpeper
    Your Grandparents are taking you to Conan and you say their bleh?!?!?!?

Both sets of my GP's are passed, but if they took me to Conan they would not be bleh in my eyes. They would be real cool people!!!!

But to answer your questions, you should go to http://www.broadway.com and see about getting show tickets. There is nothing like seeing a show on "The Great White Way". There are a ton of shows to see and broadway.com has synopsis of each of them. Some suggestions, "Jersey Boys" would be something that i think both you and your GP's will love, depending on your age "Avenue Q" is hillarious, "Tarzan" is new so is "The Wedding Singer".

The World Trade Center memorial is nice to see, but very sad. Eat at the Hard Rock. Go watch them film "The Today Show".

There are tons of things to do in NY. Have fun and be safe!!!
    Actually, i got the tix lol
    My friends dad works for NBC

• no flash photography...

there is tons to do.....central park is great, I loved going to little italy and china town, the museum of natural history, I loved times square...well, there wasn't much I didn't love...I also went to twickets a few times and got the tickets for broadway shows half price. Once we got great seats and once we were far away, but it was still fun.. Upstate was really pretty, but I liked the city the best..

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

You are about to head to my homeland! Check out some of these cool things to see and do!

*) Eat. Some of the best restaurants in the City are cheap and nonformal. Talk to natives in your hotel and find those niche restaurants near where you are traveling. If you can't find one, the Broadway McDonald's is lit up in Neon! Check it out. Most of all make sure you have--

--hot dogs from a street vendor. Tres New York.
    --BLACK AND WHITE cookies. Ask for them.
    --and if you eat at the Olive Garden in Times Square, you will be banished.

*) World of Disney on Fifth ave. Multistories of Dizz! I think they pump the smell in, because it even smells like the parks!

*) Do try to use the subway at least once per trip. They are safer then you think and kinda native--you are there kinda experience.

*) EAT. The food is incomparible.

*) I just found out the Museum of Natural History is going to be the setting for the new Ben Stiller comedy "Night at the Museum," so you could stop there and get ready for this Christmas release.

*) Yes, take in a show! This is where some of the greatest theatre was written and produced! And be adventurous. You can always leave at intermission.

*) Niagara Falls is no where near the city, I'll have you know. It's located 'upstate.'

*) Coney Island is fun, but it's a dump, to tell you the truth. Yeah, it's improved over the years, but still, it has a long way to go. It's sad really. Unless you have a friend taking you and you have a thing for Nathan's hotdogs--nah, I don't recommend it myself.

*) Eat. Period. I swear that alone brings me back. I live way up here in the New West and all they have is fast food. What I would do for a mom-and-pap location with a decent pastrami.

*) Have fun. THis is the point, isn't it?

*) Tell us about it. Especially if you can find someone who will sell you black and white cookies in bullk.

PEACE!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Rockin Guitar Player

try to get on Good morning Amercia
    A spartan on the outside, guitarist in the inside

OKLAHOMA
    ROCKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719
    *) Niagara Falls is no where near the city, I'll have you know. It's located 'upstate.
    Yup, quite a long drive, that's why I didn't guess Niagram was niagara....a long days drive to get there, but so worth it! At least once in your life.

appreciate your grandparents, or stay home

• out & about

Id say shop... I live in CA were theres not an H&M in sight (unless you live in the bay area which i dont). My fav part of the city is riding the train and shopping in small boutiques. My friends and I like to hang south of houston in SoHo (plus the adidas and apple store are cool... esp the new one on 5th ave). We eat at a really good place in little italy (I forget the name). I wouldnt leave NYC without getting cultured in some way, ie. broadway or museum.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

There are tons and tons of cool things to do in NYC.
    -Coney Island is what you make of it. It's very eclectic and fun and very old and filled with history. The boardwalk has been updated a bit and the NY Aquarium is fun. There's a great Sideshow (which incidentally is one of the few remaining in the U.S.) and its a awesome new experience.
    -Lots of great shows and some of which you can see for free by volunteer ushering. Do a search online and you can find lists of shows that will let you do this....basically you hand out programs or do very easy work and then when the show starts you sit in an empty seat and watch for free.
    -Central Park is one of the most amazing parts of the city. Take a hike and make sure to bring a map. There's Belvedere Castle right in the middle of the park, and next to the Shakespeare Theatre and gardens (Shakespeare in the Park). The angel in the waters fountain with the lake- where you can rent a canoe and paddle your way around the park. The toy boat pond on the east side of the park is really cool too and also right next to the famous Alice in Wonderland Sculpture. Not to mention tons of musicians and performers all doing their own thing.
    -Check out Moma (Museum of Modern Art) in their new building on 53rd between 5th and 6th Aves. On Friday nights, Target picks up the tab for everyone between 4-8 PM.
    -Grand Central is amazing and beautiful and make sure to check out the whispering gallery down in the foodcourt right outside of the Oyster Bar. The acoustics in the room make it possible for two people to stand in opposite corners of the square room about 25 feet apart, face the wall and speak to eachother in a normal or low voice and hear each other as clear as if they were standing right next to you.
    -World of Disney Store on 5th, of course.
    -Tons of tours. You can take regular bus tours, or if you're a fan of any ny based tv shows there are some cool ones too. Sex and the City tour is popular, and also the real life Kramer from Seinfeld gives his own tour of favorite Seinfeld destinations.
    -Top of the Rock- although The Empire State Building is beautiful (and my favorite building in the city), it's quite often overcrowded and takes a very long time to get to the top. If you don't want to deal with the crowds, the NBC building at Rockefeller Center (The Rock) is almost as high, cheaper, and you are actually on the top of the building with a completely unobstructed view.
    -Staten Island Ferry is free and floats past the Statue of Liberty and back to Manhattan (you do have to get off and back on in Staten Island). It's a nice leisurely ride and easily worth the trip.
    -Don't forget THREE Disney Broadway shows ---soon to be four!
    -Restaurants are amazing-- Check out John's Pizzaria in Times Square on 44th St. It's not a deli, but a real brick oven pizza restaurant housed in a beautiful old church. The place is breathless and three people can eat there for less than $40 (which is impossible for most anywhere in NYC).

Hope this helps. I love this city and love to help other people see how much there is to do.

• Minion

Thanks for the cool advice
    Well, im leaving in a few hours, so ill be sure to take loads of pics

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    Hey All,
    On Thursday night I am taking "The Red Eye" (what a scary term, great movie though) to New york with my (bleh) Grandparents, who are nice..but you know..they are grandparents. Anywho, we are going to be in New York City for a few days and then go upstate to visit her friends (who have their own lake and chocolate factory!). We don't have much planned for the days we are spening in the city, except the usual. Walking around, Statue of Liberty, Niagra Falls ect. but what else is their to do? Is Coney Island any good? We are seeing Conan I think on one night so thats exiteing, but I'm not looking foward much to anything else. And to make it worse, I hate flying, anyways, any suggestions?
    OMG...They own a chocolate factory!!!!

Have fun in the Big Apple!

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Have a great time. Most has already been said already. Youjust missed the hell of a heat wave we have been having and thunderstorms will be coming tonight- so your flight may be a bit rocky. But with the rain will come relief. Saturday will be goergeuos outside- so enjoy the sites!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast