• Banned User

Greatest American...

On Discovery Channel

Sunday June 5th

And Walt Disney is on the list.

The List

• Senior Minion

Remind mE jUNE 5TH!! There sure is a strong list to pick from. Sheesh, I know I would pick Walt For sure. But there are alot to pick from.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I'm stoked that my second vote is on there too. Hugh Hefner. Sad that my other votes didn't make it. Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, and Dale Earnhart.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Banned User

Well, voting for the top 100 (that list) starts June 5th.

• Circle of Ancients

A few other glaring omissions:

Les Paul
    Joe Montana (I mean, if Brett Favre is there)
    Howard Stern (No matter what you think of the guy, he has changed the way people look at radio)

I do question some of the people on that list:

Madonna
    Dr. Phil
    Martha Stewart
    Tom Cruise
    Michael Moore
    Condoleeza Rice

Looks more like a popularity contest to me.

• Minion

^ Dr. Phil?! That's ridiculous, oh well it's just a Discovery Channel special.

• Waiting for the stork

that list seems very skewed (yes thats the word I meant)
    Michael Jackson is on the list? Hugh Hefner (sorry PM, I just dont see how he fits in the top 100) Tom Cruise? so many others on that list too....

I think people like Walt Disney, Chuck Yagger, Neil Armstrong, Abe Lincoln, and so many of the others on that list should be there but not celebrities....i am so confused by this, am I mising something? how can they figurer Dr. Phil as one of the top 100 Americans, just because his show is popular right now?
    Now don't get me wrong some of the people on that list I think are perfect choices...Rosa Parks for instance,

Ok enough ranting & raving...I'll stop for a while....
    Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 04-27-2005 at 06:39 AM.
    procrastibating

• Circle of Ancients

I agree Tinkerbelle.

It seems when they come into these types of things they do so with good intentions. Starting off with those who need to be on that list. George Washington, Abe Lincoln, MLK, Rosa Parks, etc.

Then they run out of people and in order to make 100 they start throwing anybody on the list. I agree that people like George Lucas and Steven Speilberg should be on the list. They are creators, unlike Tom Cruise who is just a popular actor.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Hey Tink, I know you don't agree with Hugh Hefner but we actually were talking about him in our History class. In the 50's there were actually some really bad immoral stuff going on and Hugh was the one to start changing it. He brought in a men's magazine with topics and nude women done with class. More men started to buy Playboy over the smut that was all over at the time. This straight from my History teacher.

The people on that list were actually voted for during a period of time, Discovery tallied up the votes and just showed the top 100. Sheesh, Americans must be pretty warped to have Doctor Phil and MJ on there. Even though I don't like the guy or what he stands for, I do believe Larry Flynt should be on that list. He stood up for the freedom of speech.

I still think Dale Earnhart, Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, O.J. Simpson (Greatest running back ever!!!), Jackie Robinson (He may be on the top 100), Tom Landry, and Vince Lombardi (OMG I still can't believe he is not on that list, what in the hell is America coming too when some pedophile freak and an overweight tv shrink when they think that these two are greater americans than the greatest coach in NFL history. The superbowl trophy is named after him. Sheesh. Time to move to Paris like all the other Disgruntled American Artists. At least they have a Disney Park there )
    PirateMunkee

• șoș Tom șoș

I see Lance Armstrong but no Louie Armstrong---had to rub my eyes. No Miles Davis, no Charlie Parker, no Coletrain...Ken Burns must be disappointed. At least Mark Twain and a few basbeball greats made it...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I see Lance Armstrong but no Louie Armstrong---had to rub my eyes. No Miles Davis, no Charlie Parker, no Coletrain...Ken Burns must be disappointed. At least Mark Twain and a few basbeball greats made it...
    Totally Agree with you. During the initial voting I voted for Frank Zappa. It seems like America truly is a culture without culture. The true artists who actually made a difference and changed their art into the next progression gets bypassed for pop superstars who really suck.

I see Joseph Smith. Funny how the Mormons who voted for him don't recognize that Brigham Young actually did more for American History than Joseph Smith ever did. The whole western expansion was because the Mormons move out to Salt Lake. Sheesh people, I may not be Mormon anymore but I do believe Brigham should be on the list, not Joseph Smith.

Maybe we should have our own Greatest American list and have a discussion why they should be on that list. Come One, Michael Jackson?! He didn't do a single thing to change music. His style has been the same and it was that of Popular music. Sheesh.
    PirateMunkee

• Happy Memories

Well now I'm really dissapointed. Not because of who did or didn't make the list, but because I came in here thinking it was a thread about the classic TV show The Greatest American Hero!!

*slowly walks away singing... "believe it or not i'm walking on air...."*

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Well now I'm really dissapointed. Not because of who did or didn't make the list, but because I came in here thinking it was a thread about the classic TV show The Greatest American Hero!!

*slowly walks away singing... "believe it or not i'm walking on air...."*
    haha! You just made my day.

maybe this will cheer you up...

The full list is online somewhere...

It's a pretty good list except for one disturbing aspect. There's a definite abundance of Bush. Every Bush you could name is on there. Now seriously people, the Bush's (and Condi Rice, not a Bush but close enough) are really not among the 100 greatest Americans. Come on, there has to be dozens of Americans more influential and "great" that should have made the list. I think putting "dubya" on the same list as Walt Disney is horrifying!

Now I'm not saying I'm a democrat, I'm actually pretty moderate. But I am a history buff (going for the minor in college) and I KNOW there are better candidates than every member of that wayward family!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    The full list is online somewhere...

It's a pretty good list except for one disturbing aspect. There's a definite abundance of Bush. Every Bush you could name is on there. Now seriously people, the Bush's (and Condi Rice, not a Bush but close enough) are really not among the 100 greatest Americans. Come on, there has to be dozens of Americans more influential and "great" that should have made the list. I think putting "dubya" on the same list as Walt Disney is horrifying!

Now I'm not saying I'm a democrat, I'm actually pretty moderate. But I am a history buff (going for the minor in college) and I KNOW there are better candidates than every member of that wayward family!
    That is pretty disgusting, almost as disgusting as having Tom Cruise on the list.